To The One Indifferent

And though you appeared sweet
felt the emptiness in your eyes,
indifference is the silence that hurts
 more than words.

I strain to hear the once beating
heart, one that used to smile and
tell me life’s too short.

I see you with your face stone
cold, swallowed the sun in attempts
to feel the warmth. I haven’t the
 time to loathe anyone.

Horizon’s a hue of gold and brown,
I watch as you wade in a purgatory
of sorts; pushing and pulling the
other at the same time.

Photo Credits: Firefly George Seeley

Posted for “Camera Flash” @ Real Toads

also on “Poetry Pantry” @ Poets United

62 thoughts on “To The One Indifferent

Wow! This is sheer brilliance, Sanaa. The best of your best, I think. The narrative voice is just perfect, and your images have a fine cutting edge.

I see you with your face stone
    cold, swallowed the sun in attempts
    to feel the warmth. I haven’t the
    time to loathe anyone.

This whole stanza is a triumph.

2. Shawna says:

This is outstanding, Sanaa!!! Way impressive work.

You know, I think indifference is a salve to a wounded person. They can’t handle expressing what’s underneath, so they even convince themselves they don’t care.

3. Bjorn says:

Really good…

As Elie Wiesel wrote: “the opposite of love is not hate, but indifference”

Your whole poem is an expansion of that, but adds compassion to the mix of the person suffering in self-loathe.

I love the way you have captured cold indifference in your poem, Sanaa – it is ‘the silence that hurts / more than words’. My favourite lines have to be:
    ‘I see you with your face stone
    cold, swallowed the sun in attempts
    to feel the warmth…’

5. Brendan says:

You approach the image like sun to sepia, present to past, I to a lost Thou. Only the dead can be so “indifferent” … Your lively voice is tender but clear.

Indifference can be one of the most devastating emotions, for both the one ignoring another and for the one being ignored. People who don’t care about others tend to be… incomplete. And the ones on the other side of the coin break slowly, especially if the opinion others matter to them. But… like in the case of the speaker, sometimes indifference can be quite the defense mechanism. Why waste time being consumed by the silliness of another, if we can ignore their nonsense and use our time to live our lives?

I agree, we can choose to ignore the silliness of another and use that time to carry on with our lives 🙂 thanks for stopping by, Magaly ❤️

Wow!!! magnificent poetry; gorgeous end lines

“I watch as you wade in a purgatory
    of sorts; pushing and pulling the
    other at the same time”

Happy New Year Sanaa

much love…

8. Loredana Donovan says:

So true, indifference can hurt more than words. But sometimes those who are indifferent to us don’t deserve our love and attention. Best to be with those who reciprocate love and kind words. 😊

A reminder that the opposite of love isn’t hate, it’s indifference. And it burns more deeply than hate can sometimes.

10. Eric says:

Lovely write, Sanaa, I think that Feeling is either on or off, indifference is the off switch of emotion. And first I felt bad for the one who was spurned, but you brought me round to pity the unfeeling one.

11. Myrna says:

Wow. You outdid yourself here Sanaa. This poem is so full of emotion, wisdom, the paradox within a relationship, the sadness before it ends. At least these are some of the things I read in to it.

12. Truedessa says:

Tis sad when one swallows the sun to feel the warmth of life again. Sometimes, one gets hurt and the coldness settles in.

This is very well done and you def captured the image.