Take, Oh, Take Those Lips Away

Poem inspired by the title of John Fletcher’s poetic masterpiece; “Take, oh, take those lips away.”

In the realm of you, my dappled sky is moonless,
fringed with fire
and deep-seated in platitude–
the clouds
that promise rain are pensively deep, equipping me
with the clarity I need,

and I wonder
if your crystal clues of truth are identical–
I am core shaken, captivated
and at sixes and sevens, my glitter-stained
tangled roots
disappearing
into a twisted earthen forest pathway,
where a canary whispers your nameβ€” soft and easy.

In my mind, the sense of you is something behind
a tinted window,
part apparition, part firelight
you just might be the safest, most dangerous thing
I have ever done–

your eyes filled with oceans crashing,
tracing poetry along corner of lips where words are left
unspoken–

I feel myself drawn to sweet gravitational pull,
with solitude circling my ankles.
No cages.
I cannot imagine … a more exquisite imprisonment.

Photo credits: Antonio Mora Portraits, Pinterest

In response to Kerry says; “Lets find our poetic voice,” and “Skylover Wordlist.” ❀️

Posted for Play It Again: Grand Finale @ Real Toads

Posted on ‘The Writer’s Pantry’ @ Poets and Storytellers United

Comments

Sanaa, it has been a pleasure over the years to witness the development of your poetic voice, which is ever so identifiable as your own. You have remained true to your vision of poetry.
    I love the flow of your phrasing and especially the effect of the short line: No cages. That is inspired.

1. Sanaa says:

Awwww gosh! πŸ‡β€οΈ Thank you so much, Kerry πŸ˜€ so glad you enjoyed it! πŸ‡β€οΈ

I am and will forever be grateful to you for giving me my poetic wings! 🌹

#realtoadsforever

2. Marian says:

Moonless! So great.
    Yes, yes… to all that Kerry said above. Your growth has been really wonderful to witness, Sanaa. I’m grateful for the chance, and look forward to what the coming adventures will bring!
    xo

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Marian πŸ˜€ so glad you liked it πŸ‡β€οΈ

It’s been an incredible journey writing alongside you. Here’s to a fantastic 2020! 🌹

#realtoadsforever

3. I really like the contrast, particularly in this line: “you just might be the safest, most dangerous thing”. It says so much about living and loving, how they can take everything from us… and how they can give us all we need.

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Magaly πŸ˜€ so glad the poem resonated with you πŸ‡β€οΈ

#realtoadsforever

4. “The safest, most dangerous thing” and “No cages.” A wonderful poem, Sanaa. It has been wonderful watching your poetic journey. Keep shining.

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Sherry πŸ˜€ so glad you liked it πŸ‡β€οΈ

Also, for your constant guidance in my early years as a Poet and for embracing me as a part of the blogosphere!! 🍷🍾

#realtoadsforever

5. What a beautiful poem. My, how you have blossomed as a poet. “you just might be the safest, most dangerous thing I have ever done–” I feel that way about my poetry.

1. Sanaa says:

Awwww gosh! πŸ‡β€οΈ Thank you so much, Susie πŸ˜€ so glad you enjoyed it! πŸ‡β€οΈ

#realtoadsforever

6. These words remind me of something long ago:
    “In my mind, the sense of you is something behind
    a tinted window,
    part apparition, part firelight”

You seem to paint with your words, Sanaa. Bright and sharp and at other times, soft and mellow, blending into a painting in the imagination. Thank you once again.

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Joel πŸ˜€ so glad the poem resonated with you πŸ‡β€οΈ

I must mirror what Kerry and Marian says… your voice and unique poetry has evolved to be truly your own. As usual I admire mostly the intense passion of your words… Hope to see you around.

1. Sanaa says:

Awwww gosh! πŸ‡β€οΈ Thank you so much, Bjorn πŸ˜€ so glad you enjoyed it! πŸ‡β€οΈ

#realtoadsforever

Love can do that – reorder the world, shake up your definitions. The hope is that all this deconstructing and reconstructing enriches all concerned in the end.

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Rommy πŸ˜€ so glad the poem resonated with you πŸ‡β€οΈ

9. Mama Zen says:

This is marvelous!

you just might be the safest, most dangerous thing
    I have ever done–

I love that!

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Mama Zen πŸ˜€ so glad you enjoyed it πŸ‡β€οΈ

10. hedgewitch says:

Lovely words, and as mentioned above, great use of contrasts and images. I especially love the many descriptive phrases that make the poem come alive.

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Hedgewitch πŸ˜€ so good to see you πŸ‡β€οΈ

11. Helen says:

I have SO enjoyed reading your poetry and really love how you illustrate with photos and art! Happy New Year.

1. Sanaa says:

Awwww gosh! πŸ‡β€οΈ Thank you so much, Helen πŸ˜€ so glad you enjoyed it πŸ‡β€οΈ

12. This pulsates with passion! I too admire your phenomenal development as a poet and your uniquely beautiful use of language.

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Rosemary πŸ˜€ so glad you liked it πŸ‡β€οΈ

13. Yvonne says:

I love the final four lines. Here’s to no cages!

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Yvonne πŸ˜€ so glad the poem resonated with you πŸ‡β€οΈ

14. Thotpurge says:

part apparition, part firelight – love that.

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Rajani πŸ˜€ so good to see you πŸ‡β€οΈ

15. A vivid poem, Sanaa, full of passion. I love the alliteration of β€˜fringed with fire’ and β€˜clouds that promise rain are pensively deep, equipping me’. I particularly enjoyed the lines:
    β€˜In my mind, the sense of you is something behind
    a tinted window,
    part apparition, part firelight’
    and
    β€˜tracing poetry along corner of lips where words are left
    unspokenβ€˜.

1. Sanaa says:

Awwwww gosh! πŸ‡β€οΈ Thank you so much, Kim πŸ˜€ so glad you enjoyed it! πŸ‡β€οΈ

All your poetry is a delight Sanaa and the underlying desire and romantic theme is like a magnet to readers. I won’t say “Don’t change” because we do tend to develop or work in various ways and I am intrigued to see where it might lead!

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Robin πŸ˜€ so good to see you πŸ‡β€οΈ

17. Jae Rose says:

What a wonderful poem to start the new year – stunning imagery

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Jae πŸ˜€ so glad you liked it πŸ‡β€οΈ

18. Anna :o) says:

Truly exquisite writing Sanaa – it took my breath away.
    And I echo others comments in that wonderful blossoming and developent of your poetry is there for us all to see and derive pleasure in its reading.
    Anna :o]

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Anna πŸ˜€ so glad you enjoyed it πŸ‡β€οΈ

19. Ellecee says:

Love this s muchπŸ’• I especially like the contradiction in” you just might be the safest, most dangerous thing
    I have ever done– β€ΌοΈπŸ™

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Linda πŸ˜€ so glad the poem resonated with you πŸ‡β€οΈ

20. dsnake1 says:

it is hard to pull away from the words of this poem. truly captivating. πŸ™‚

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Lee San πŸ˜€ so glad you liked it πŸ‡β€οΈ

21. Cages, canaries. I feel a wonderful terror here. A spell.

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Colleen πŸ˜€ so good to see you πŸ‡β€οΈ

22. Some prisons are worth entering voluntarily, aren’t they?

1. Sanaa says:

Most definitely πŸ˜‰ thanks for stopping by, MMT πŸ‡β€οΈ

23. Beautiful inspired poem. Amazing write, dear Sanaa!

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Khaya πŸ˜€ so glad you enjoyed it πŸ‡β€οΈ

24. What an absolutely beautiful voice here Sanaa, full of passion and heat.

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, my dearest Linda πŸ˜€ so good to see you πŸ‡β€οΈ

25. Lori says:

“the sense of you is something behind
    a tinted window,
    part apparition, part firelight”
    Seeing yet obscured, ghostly, but over bright. I almost had to squint when reading those lines for how they made me see.

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Lori πŸ˜€ so glad the poem resonated with you πŸ‡β€οΈ

26. I love the presence of the canary (in the coal mine). Just brilliant! Wish I’d thought of it! πŸ™‚

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, H. Hennenburg πŸ˜€ so glad you enjoyed it πŸ‡β€οΈ

27. Myrna says:

Sensuous, romantic and beautifully written.

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Myrna πŸ˜€ so glad you liked it πŸ‡β€οΈ

28. Beautiful as always! I like the phrase “crystal clues of truth.”
    Happy new year, by the way!

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Jenna πŸ˜€ so glad you enjoyed it πŸ‡β€οΈ

Happy New Year to you too!

29. Vivian Zems says:

An exquisite write. Such wonderful imprisonment!

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Vivian πŸ˜€ so good to see you πŸ‡β€οΈ

30. Margaret says:

Safest, most dangerous – that line catches me and i hear it whispered with a sense of awe.

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Margaret πŸ˜€ so glad you liked it πŸ‡β€οΈ

31. Barry says:

Your poetic voice continues to make me swoon… πŸ™‚

πŸ™‚