Sometimes the sky and I, collide

“It’s better to look at the sky than live there. Such an empty place; so vague. Just a country where the thunder goes and things disappear.” ― Truman Capote, Breakfast at Tiffany’s and Three Stories

Clouds like tufts of cotton scattered on a dome
of brown;
there is so much that’s hidden
and yet, the streaks of light coming through
offer clarity—
its softness, a reminder, that so many pieces
of us are wrapped inside.

It’s better to look at the sky, as soulful hymns
tear apart the violent gusts,
greeting the vast white chiffon of day,
deliberation overflows,
and before you know it, the leafy green treetops
accentuated in contrast of colour
bow down,
as though asking for price of admission—
it’s a funny thing to both unravel the fibres of
one’s being and be afraid.

But wait. I have studied the human psyche all
my life, chosen its words
and wielded in return a poem of truth;
something incisive, prophetic and bold,
something unconventional,
perceptively pink so as to match the blush
on one’s cheeks,
I cannot say, it’s something that was planned.

The sun, who has witnessed the development smirks;
I have never craved for ways
that don’t bode well with my disposition,
never craved for what isn’t mine,
it’s meaningless,
a sort of darkness that is battled on a daily basis,
the key here
is to embrace it fully, so much so that light within us
extinguishes the dark completely—
it’s a blend of mauve belief and orange tenacity.
Oh look; the wood thrush is singing.

Photo credits: Picture taken last Sunday on Eid-ul-Adha.

Linda hosts at dVerse and invites us to choose and write inspired by a quote from
Truman Capote, ‘
Breakfast at Tiffany’s.’ Come join us! ❤️

Posted for Poetics: Breakfast at Tiffany’s @dVerse Poets Pub

18 thoughts on “Sometimes the sky and I, collide

1. Linda Lee Lyberg says:

Sanaa- you have deftly woven a lovely poem of hope and optimism. Stunning lines, but my favorite stanza is this:
    It’s better to look at the sky, as soulful hymns
    tear apart the violent gusts,
    greeting the vast white chiffon of day,
    deliberation overflows,
    and before you know it, the leafy green treetops
    accentuated in contrast of colour
    bow down,
    as though asking for price of admission—
    it’s a funny thing to both unravel the fibres of
    one’s being and be afraid.

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Linda 😀 so glad the poem resonated with you 💄❤️

(and thank you for the glorious prompt)

2. Grace says:

A beautiful response filled with colors and nature, with the authentic self embracing the light fully. I love that second stanza of gazing at the sky and seeing the light and color of the treetops.

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Grace 😀 so glad you enjoyed it! 💄❤️

3. Such a great poem – full of poetic description and your own self.

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Kim 😀 so good to see you 💄❤️

4. The entire thing is quite engaging, but it’s that second stanza that really satisfies, for me.

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Shay 😀 so glad you liked it 💄❤️

5. This poem is a sensory delight, engaging and immersive. Very well done!

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Christopher 😀 so glad you enjoyed it 💄❤️

6. ain says:

In the middle between vivid imagery we get gems:
    “it’s a funny thing to both unravel the fibres of
    one’s being and be afraid.” how long will I chew over this philosophy? A long, long time. I loved the ending, really loved the way it seemed casually thrown in. I have missed your verse that becomes part of one’s existence.

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Ain 😀 so glad the poem resonated with you 💄❤️

7. Reena Saxena says:

Stunning poem, Sanaa! Couldn’t find any Share or Reblog button.

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Reena 😀 so glad you liked it 💄❤️

8. Paul Cannon says:

I love this, especially the last verse which brings that revelation, to embrace the darkness overcoming it with our light.

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Paul 😀 so glad you enjoyed it 💄❤️

9. Punam says:

First of all belated Eid Mubarak, Sanaa. That’s a gorgeous pic. 😍
    Beautiful title and poem, this line truly resonated with me, “never craved for what isn’t mine,”💖💖

1. Sanaa says:

Belated Eid Mubarak to you too! Thank you so much, Punam 😀 so glad the poem resonated with you 💄❤️