Prologue – Being A Woman In Times Like These

Among small wet pebbles that outline the fury of sun,
there lie fragments of one thousand and one sea glass
their once glossy surface flat and dark with some having tell-tale
signs of blood,
I unsheathe myself and embrace vulnerability,
as eyes, filled with shadows, thumb through me like a manuscript
my heart
a broken paragraph where despotism is tried and embedded
into the skin,
a series of violet tears spread
promising that a day will come when we will cross the bridge,
fall hard or breathe harder
it’s so simple when you put it like that,
unaware that silence is all that’s left in the end, we cannot unlearn
the fresh taste of trepidation

nor forget words that were whispered into the ear,
but rise
get up from lying because a bridge is unbiased,
it has no preference whatsoever
you have created this burning need for insurgence to prevail
in society,
touching me is the wind as feeling sets fire into my throat
you took me unwillingly
now watch as the sky rewrites our tale and hits just the right note of equity.

Β

Photo credits: Henry Asencio, 1972

Also written for Sherry’s prompt where she invites us to contemplate “The Handmaid’s Tale.” πŸ™‚

Posted for “Midweek Motif- Bridge” @ Poets United

& posted for “Wordy Thursday With Wild Woman” @ Real Toads

Also sharing on the Open Link Night @ dVerse Poets Pub

Comments

How beautiful equity sounds but with so many cheats and robbers in the world it is so difficult to achieve. Humankind learns nothing from other living creatures and so we become feared and an abomination. We use mirrors but can’t see ourselves. How well your piece stirred my brain Sanaa , I wish there were more poets and less insurgents!

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Robin πŸ˜€ so glad the poem resonated with you ❀️

2. Sumana Roy says:

“….a bridge is unbiased, / it has no preference whatsoever”…This is some unpalatable truth for many. Love the lines where the speaker embraces vulnerability and the happenings thereafter. And what to speak of your beautiful voice Sanaa! So sweet.

Awww gosh! ❀️ Thank you so much, Sumana πŸ˜€ so glad you enjoyed it! ❀️

(and thank you for the lovely prompt) 🌹

3. Lori says:

This grabbed me “we cannot unlearn / the fresh taste of trepidation” the nervousness and the fear but those steps need to be taken in order to get anywhere. Wonderful write.

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Lori πŸ˜€ so glad the poem resonated with you ❀️

4. The same lines leaped out for me as have been quoted……….so well done, Sanaa.

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Sherry πŸ˜€ so glad you liked it ❀️

(and thank you for such a thoughtful prompt) 🌹

1. Back to read again from Toads. I too used to promise myself a day would come when i would cross the bridge and be free. I resonate with the trepidation and the whispers, and being taken unwillingly. Then, finally, and even better than equity – freedom!

❀️❀️❀️❀️

5. Lovely reading and words Sanaa!

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Linda πŸ˜€ so glad you enjoyed it ❀️

6. Ella Wilson says:

There was a lyrical quality to your poem…like someone breathing and then gasping for air .
    “Fall hard or breathe harder”
    Wow!

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Ella πŸ˜€ so glad you liked it ❀️

7. marja says:

Wow “now watch as the sky rewrites our tale and hits just the right note of equity”
    “a broken paragraph where despotism is tried and embedded into the skin”
    and so many other beautiful images and great message Absolutely love your poem

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Marja πŸ˜€ so glad the poem resonated with you ❀️

8. Oh, being a woman in times like these, indeed! A wonderful, wonderful write and READING!!! There is a certain kind of magic found in a poem read aloud. Thank you dear Sanaa for the gift of words. Love this!

Awwww gosh! ❀️ Thank you so much, Khaya πŸ˜€ so glad you enjoyed it! ❀️

There’s so much power in this gently dignified piece. The subject doesn’t deny or minimize the hurts, but calmly walks towards a better future they know must exist. The strength in this piece is all the more powerful because of the softness in some of the imagery. Really good stuff Sanaa.

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Rommy πŸ˜€ so glad the poem resonated with you ❀️

unaware that silence is all that’s left in the end, we cannot unlearn
    the fresh taste of trepidation
    nor forget words that were whispered into the ear,
    but rise

I am so very touched by your words, Sanaa.

Awww gosh! ❀️ Thank you so much, Kerry 😍 so glad you liked it! ❀️

11. “fall hard or breathe harder” That line tells so many stories, especially when considering the lines that follow. It is easy to say ‘do this or fall’ almost implying that a person who can’t accomplish something hasn’t tried hard enough. But these situations are so complex that most judgement can’t apply.

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Magaly πŸ˜€ so glad the poem resonated with you ❀️

12. Susan says:

“I unsheathe myself and embrace vulnerability,
    as eyes, filled with shadows, thumb through me like a manuscript”

Just the prologue, just the way “the other” tries to–and has succeeded in the past–to define women. I find this poem to be powerfully positive as we move forward so the sky can rewrite our tale!

Awww gosh! ❀️ Thank you so much, Susan πŸ˜€ so glad you liked it! ❀️

13. Beautiful, where I raged in mine you confidently, gracefully walked toward freedom, toward equality.

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Susie πŸ˜€ so glad you enjoyed it ❀️

14. What an amazing post….and the illustration is perfect for it.

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Lillian πŸ™‚ so good to see you ❀️

To walk with such strength is what I loved the most.

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Bjorn πŸ˜€ so glad you liked it ❀️

16. So much to grasp in this one, as allegory, condemning assault, as a cry for release, as a roar from all women in these time. To walk over the bridge (from what to what, from where to where?) to be free, puts me in mind of Zorba ” We all need a little madness, in order to cut the rope and be free.”

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Glenn πŸ˜€ so glad the poem resonated with you ❀️

17. Jade Li says:

Magnificent poetry, Sanaa, so rich with imagery. These lines, “but rise
    get up from lying because a bridge is unbiased,
    it has no preference whatsoever” jump out at me. I also love hearing you read your poem, to hear it the way you intended it to be heard.

Awwww gosh! ❀️ Thank you so much, Jade πŸ˜€ so glad you enjoyed it! ❀️

18. There seems to be a theme of burning bridges at the moment however.
    I love your line ‘fall hard, or breathe harder’.

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Carol πŸ˜€ so glad you liked it ❀️

19. Scott hastie says:

Very strong Sanaa. As others may well have said, your last three lines especially are absolutely awesome and conjured straight from the soul. A treat, as always…

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Scott πŸ˜€ so glad the poem resonated with you ❀️

20. Jane Dougherty says:

Another bridge. Today was the day for bridge prompts.
    ‘eyes…thumb through me like a manuscript’ β€”great image!

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Jane πŸ˜€ so good to see you ❀️

21. Frank Hubeny says:

Nice description: “embrace vulnerability”.

Also I enjoyed your reading..

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Frank πŸ˜€ so glad you enjoyed it ❀️

22. A gentle poem full of resolve. Nicely done!

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Toni πŸ™‚ so glad you liked it ❀️

23. Xenia Tran says:

Beautifully penned and spoken dear Sanaa, I love how the sky rewrites your tale and ‘hits just the right note of equity’ πŸ’œ

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Xenia πŸ˜€ so glad you enjoyed it ❀️

24. touching me is the wind as feeling sets fire into my throat
    you took me unwillingly
    now watch as the sky rewrites our tale and hits just the right note of equity.

Your ending is perfect!

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Dwight πŸ˜€ so glad you liked it ❀️

25. …but rise And this poem does.

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Margaret πŸ˜€ so good to see you ❀️

26. Your one line descriptions are like a paint box – so much to like here and you manage it right from the start
    “Among small wet pebbles that outline the fury of sun,
    there lie fragments of one thousand and one sea glass”

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Laura πŸ˜€ so glad you enjoyed it ❀️

27. Helen says:

Powerful poetry, I loved listening to you recite it … as always you choose the perfect art to accompany.

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Helen πŸ˜€ so glad you liked it ❀️

28. Sanna,
    A very complex poem with topics involved, but superly expressed with your style and the images seen, whilst reading…especially that bridges are unbiased!!

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Eileen πŸ˜€ so good to see you ❀️

How strongly you wrote this Sanaa. Womens fight for equal rights will sadly be fought over for many years yet . Even in countries like Australia one of the most just and fairest in the world you can still see, hear and read the view of weak men who by their ranting show their fear.

1. Sanaa says:

Awwww gosh! ❀️ Thank you so much, Robin πŸ˜€ so glad the poem resonated with you! ❀️

30. Magical Mystical Teacher says:

I’m glad that bridges are non-judgmental. Anyone can take them—and should!

Definitely πŸ˜€ thanks for stopping by, MMT ❀️

31. Sara McNulty says:

β€œEmbrace vulnerability β€œ – good way to rise up and be your own person. Wonderful poem.

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Sara πŸ˜€ so glad you liked it ❀️