For the contemplation of Poets

It burns the tongue, tapping into the senses
ever so slightly
while I lie under the sheets contemplating nature—
there is poetry in dirt,
in salt existing on the wind,
in grayness of the morning and in red peppers.

His lips,
the centre point of all sweetness trace what is mine
and what isn’t,
and I wonder if the moon competes with the sun
just like I compete with him?
Not even milk soothes the sensation that pierces—
the sky in turn sings a little louder.

As subtlest of kisses launched from fingers,
if you asked me why I prefer fruit that hurts
I wouldn’t be able to answer—
I am half conscious,
my thoughts straying to him in deep mauve
of twilight;
it burns the tongue, yes
but wouldn’t you rather feel this way
than have a feeling of dust
rise in your throat?
Fealty,
is what my soul bleeds when one isn’t looking.

Photo credits: Antonio Mora’s Surreal Portraits, Pinterest

Posted for Weekly Scribblings @ Poets and Storytellers United

Comments

1. Yummy! (Literally and metaphorically.)

As a lover of hot spices myself, I understand perfectly why you like red peppers and other things that burn the tongue.

Thank you so much, Rosemary 😀 so glad you enjoyed it 💄❤️

Hot foods are an acquired taste but once caught there is always a desire for it. I loved how the feeling in your writing seemed to incorporate it. The beauty of poetry is that it has no boundaries we can write what ever we feel!

Thank you so much, Robin 😀 so glad you liked it 💄❤️

3. lori says:

It’s not what’s sweet, but what is hot. That’s what really engages the senses. I really like the sharpness I felt in this. Particularly with the salt in the wind. (I like adding salt to fruit to enhance their flavour, particularly with watermelon and apples). Red peppers have their own particular bite, a sweet heat.

Thank you so much, Lori 😀 so glad the poem resonated with you 💄❤️

4. Bev says:

A portrayal of life on the edge perhaps? Somehow I’ve always preferred smooth and sweet on my tongue! An evocative poem.

Thank you so much, Beverly 🙂 so glad you liked it 💄❤️

5. Certainly no dust in the throat for me! Let my tongue burn–who cares?

😉

6. Helen says:

Your poem ended wit a most probing, intriguing question~~~ I loved it.

Thank you so much, Helen 😀 so good to see you 💄❤️

7. Although I am not keen on red peppers – mainly because they do not like me and make me ill – I love your extended metaphor, Sanaa, and the lines:
    ‘there is poetry in dirt,
    in salt existing on the wind,
    in grayness of the morning and in red peppers’
    and
    ‘Not even milk soothes the sensation that pierces—
    the sky in turn sings a little louder’.

Thank you so much, Kim 😀 so glad the poem resonated with you 💄❤️

Ah yes the passion of being with a lover rather than the longing at his absence
    Nicely written, Sanaa
    Much❤love

Thank you so much, Gillena 😀 so glad you liked it 💄❤️

Much love …

9. Misky says:

Everything is better with a bit of spice!

Most definitely 😀 thanks for stopping by, Misky 💄❤️

Oh I do like a little spice and burn in my meals, but that can’t be the whole of it. There’s got to be some substance for it to season, or else I end up malnourished and a bad case of indigestion.

1. Sanaa says:

I can relate 🙂 I prefer my food to be medium spicy and cannot handle more than that as there is possibility of having mouth ulcer. 💄❤️

11. Hi, Sanaa. I often don’t comment on your poems because I just don’t know what to say. This is exquisite! I like the subtle metaphor of love as “fruit that hurts.” There is something about this poem, and so many of your other poems, that just pierces my soul in the most wonderfully stunning way.

Thank you so much, Jenna 😀 so glad you enjoyed it 💄❤️

Pretty deep here, Sanaa, thick with thoughts and feelings and even blood when no one is looking. I liked reading of them.
    I didn’t write mine to be of me but after my latest colonoscopy my doctor said no nuts or seeds or corn, etc.
    I liked the Goblin Matter poem with your prompt material. Thank you.

Thank you so much, Jim 😀 so glad you liked it 💄❤️

13. Sara McNulty says:

Love spicy food. Makes you feel alive. Do not want a feeling of dust in my mouth, ever. Great poem, Sanaa!

Thank you so much, Sara 😀 so glad the poem resonated with you 💄❤️

14. You are the mistress of sensual poetry!

Awwww gosh! 💄❤️ Thank you so much, Linda 😀 so glad you enjoyed it! 💄❤️