Belabouring hurt at Twilight

Above the clouds a longing takes part, my heart
bleeds while playing with a broken branch in the
evening.

It’s hard to forgive ourselves, while clinging onto
remnants of an impossible past. The sombre sky
and languid flowers, everything’s a muted shade
like a matt photograph in a dimly lit space.

A few years ago I fell apart though in the process
of building myself back up, I learned that amidst
worldly struggles you are allowed to leave a few
broken pieces behind, you are allowed to dream
and become the person that you design yourself
to be.

The calm crepuscular hours, I knelt and poured
my woes into a babbling brook, feeling that the
world was too much with us and yet unfamiliar.

As the last light slips away my eyes open to the
silence of the universe, I’m reminded of beauty,
of hope as the dark comes to write its chapter.

Soon cold and unfeeling rain was falling, above
the clouds a longing takes part, my heart bleeds
while playing with a broken branch in evening.

Photo credits: Crepuscule Heinrich Kuhn

I chose to write inspired by “The world is too much with us” by
William Wordsworth.

Posted for “Kerry’s Challenge” @ Real Toads

Posted on the Poetry Pantry @ Poets United

52 thoughts on “Belabouring hurt at Twilight

It’s hard to forgive ourselves, while clinging onto
    remnants of an impossible past. The sombre sky
    and languid flowers, everything’s a muted shade

I like the way you have combined emotion with visual elements in this poem. It is deeply introspective.

2. Brendan says:

It’s hard to forgive ourselves, while clinging onto /
    remnants of an impossible past.

This dazzled me. Our fate is never more than bittersweet, but beauty is beyond forgiveness!

3. Bjorn says:

I love how you have capture the twilight mood… it’s a moment of choice of finding the right path, but so often we only see the shadows.

What overwhelming sadness oozes out of every line Sanaa, mirroring the sepia photograph.. How real the words appear as the narrator pours out their heart to the reader.

5. Anna :o] says:

Sad, reflective and beautiful Sanaa.
    Yes, it is okay to leave a few broken pieces behind, for how else do we learn, do we grow.
    A lovely deep write.
    Anna :o]

6. Mary says:

It is good to always keep hope and to remember that one can always dream and change. We can belabor our hurts for a while as we heal, but then allow ourselves to dream again! Beautiful writing, Sanaa.

7. Annell Livingston says:

I am reminded of books I have read about geishes… remember tomorrow the sun will rise, and everything changes, maybe not in a day, but as certain and the mountains and seas, all will change. Maybe you won’t like the change, but all will change. Happiness awaits you. My Mother told me, in time you will feel different, and it is so.

The third stanza says it all for me–we must learn to understand that we don’t need to fix all things about ourselves in order to become our greatest, some peaces work best by remind us of what the world can do to us… True growth happens when we continue to be after our circumstances did our best to keep us from being at all.

9. Donna@LivingFromHappiness says:

As we grow and move through the hurt and pain that life brings, we do indeed leave pieces behind. But I believe we grow new parts to fill in some of these open spaces…..and that is my dream of wholeness and becoming who I know I can be……beautiful, heartfelt words Sanaa!

Yes; we must ascend in times of need. Far above the clouds is a good place to be, to look at one’s self and to heal.

Thank you for dropping by my Sunday Standard Sanaa

much love…

11. Rosemary Nissen-Wade says:

Such an accomplished, wise and beautiful poem. Like others, I particularly love:

I learned that amidst
    worldly struggles you are allowed to leave a few
    broken pieces behind, you are allowed to dream
    and become the person that you design yourself
    to be.

12. Myrna says:

you are allowed to dream
    and become the person that you design yourself
    to be.

I love this and so many other lines in your poem. Sad, but beautifully written.

13. Wendy Bourke says:

I love the way in which you have woven nature through this stunning and impactful piece … which you have imbued with wonderful ‘old soul’ wisdom. This is beautiful writing!

14. kaykuala says:

It’s hard to forgive ourselves, while clinging onto
    remnants of an impossible past.

Very true Sanaa! It gives a strangle hold and keeps bothering all the time!

Hank

15. Magyar says:

Grand_!
    __ Raindrops bring tomorrow’s growth; new strength overcomes today’s loss of self. _m

twilight