Aubade: Some Peaches, After Storm

Poem inspired by the title of Carl Phillips’ poetic masterpiece “Aubade: Some Peaches, After Storm.

Daylight hasn’t touched my heart in months, perhaps it deems me unworthy
as peaches distraught after the storm embrace the ground,
we wake to the insatiable longing for answers hidden in the curves of sky
and disregard this life
all that we are, more or less, but who wants to be warned of the future
when we can eternally be grateful for beauty lost,
I wish to be discovered, to be found no matter how good my soul is at hiding.

There is an autumnal leaf in my heart that refuses to rot, scarlet
the kind that quivers in the wind and dust
the world hates me because they can’t understand the art behind ameliorating,
it’s terrible the way we bring each other down unconsciously
society teaches us pain, teaches us violence,
so what if the sky above is not cerulean
breathe
have you ever wondered where the moon goes in the brilliance of day?
I wish to spend the last few minutes of my life spreading hope
and healing.

I have left some southern cobbler on the table, moderately sweet

in case tomorrow will be dying,
the fervid heat of July presses upon my eyes
if love was water, I’d pour whatever was left on you
there is simply no one else whose memory comes floating into my mind,
you stood by me through the brooding weather
knowing well that it would cost you more than a sigh and few letters,
I wish to be the name on parted lips
when the world slowly fades and clouds come rushing to kiss the earth.

The Poets are marching onward with a heavy load of mind and fire
raging in balled fists,
the sky dipped in tenacity and magenta afternoon
as they stomach the wave of political chaos across the world
what kind of discombobulated times are we living in?
I won’t tell you how to feel, only that a grey thrush has lost its fear
history is nothing more than a shadow of miscalculations
as it turns out:
how easily we become influenced by the practice of logrolling,
how we sit back and let the chips fall where they may
I wish to be the change that relieves the world of murkiness that neither sun
nor moon can penetrate.
Daylight hasn’t touched my heart in months, perhaps it deems me unworthy.

Photo credits: Elena Katsyura Painting, Pinterest

Susie invites us to choose an image and write the color πŸ™‚

Posted for Midweek Motif @ Poets United

and for ‘Bits of Inspiration’ @ Real Toads

52 thoughts on “Aubade: Some Peaches, After Storm

1. Sumana Roy says:

Love this circular movement of the poem and the longing and the passion of the moment. It’s wonderful to journey through all the words woven here. So beautiful, Sanaa. Aw…Love me some cool water to be drenched. So, so hot here at my mother’s place. Ugh.

Thank you so much, Sumana πŸ˜€ so glad the poem resonated with you πŸ‘β€οΈ

(and thank you for the lovely prompt) 🌹

An aubade is an excellent choice of form for a poem about weather, Sanaa. I like the darkness of the opening line and the idea of β€˜answers hidden in the curves of sky’, and I love the lines:
    β€˜There is an autumnal leaf in my heart that refuses to rot, scarlet
    that kind that quivers in the wind and dust’
    and
    β€˜when the world slowly fades and clouds come rushing to kiss the earth’.

“There is an autumnal leaf in my heart that refuses to rot, scarlet”
    This says so much for the spirit of the poet beleiving in the craft of her words

Happy Wednesday Sanaa

MuchπŸ•Šβ€πŸ•Šlove

Thank you so much, Gillena πŸ˜€ so glad you enjoyed it πŸ‘β€οΈ

Much🌹🌷🌻love

4. the real cie says:

A beautiful image, a striking poem.
    As someone for whom depression is status quo, I relate to these words. When I was younger and much more religious, I believed that I was depressed because I was a bad person, unworthy of happiness. Now I know it simply is what is. I can’t will it away, and I am no less worthy than people who are naturally happy.

5. marja says:

“Daylight hasn’t touched my heart in months” and”we wake to the insatiable longing for answers hidden in the curves of sky” Love it A beautiful and poignant poem

6. Margaret says:

The third stanza’s cobbler really sets the table, so to speak, for this poem – lends it a very personal and grounding feeling. The desire to do something, to make one’s life meaningful is felt throughout this poem.

7. Susie Clevenger says:

“I wish to be discovered, to be found no matter how good my soul is at hiding.” I love that line. Your poem begins with the same line and ends with the same line. All the rich color of the “fruit” of the poem cannot paint the gray the spirit is living in. Beautiful writing. Thank you so much for taking part in the prompt.

Awww gosh! πŸ‘β€οΈ Thank you so much, Susie πŸ˜€ so glad you liked it! πŸ‘β€οΈ

(and thank you for the lovely prompt) 🌹

Nice take, Sanaa, I liked your theme of complaints and change. Best towards last, changing history. “history is nothing more than a shadow of miscalculations..”

9. Panchali says:

What a gorgeous poem…it inspires the readers to open their minds and hearts up to ways of thinking and perceiving …Beautiful writing, Sanaa.

I love how the touches of orange embellish the scene:
    There is an autumnal leaf in my heart that refuses to rot..
    I have left some southern cobbler on the table, moderately sweet…
    You have a style all your own, and you continue to grow as a writer. It has been wonderful to see.

Awww gosh! πŸ‘β€οΈ Thank you so much, Kerry πŸ˜€ so glad you enjoyed it! πŸ‘β€οΈ

11. kaykuala h says:

Daylight hasn’t touched my heart in months,
    perhaps it deems me unworthy.

Do we have to turn nocturnal to make oneself worthy? A good play of contrasting it so as to secure a good effect perhaps, Sanaa!

Hank

12. Priya Bhaskar says:

“if love was water, I’d pour whatever was left on you
    there is simply no one else whose memory comes floating into my mind” … this is so beautiful!! πŸ’™

13. Daniella Moyles says:

“There is an autumnal leaf in my heart that refuses to rot, scarlet,” .. A heartfelt, evocative and powerful poem, Sanaa!

14. Sara McNulty says:

“There is an autumnal leaf in my heart that refuses to rot, scarlet
    the kind that quivers in the wind and dust”

That never-give-up quality.

I love this form, and forgot how beautiful it can be. You do it justice.