Walking around tress of the emerald sea

The sea in autumn is arrayed in green,
volatile due to the promises stranded underneath,
it’s a place where one embraces the storm
brewing within;
my footsteps, slow and measured, as the sun
continues to set, I can feel the water,
its haunting ballad whispering through the fragments
of mind; is this truly happening?

The gulls are first to sigh in unison with the clouds,
as the sky darkens from shy abalone to raisin,
I watch them fly away one by one,
Poets have gushed about tulips
and trials of Apollo and oak and pine woodlands
since the beginning of time,
what of soul searching and long walks
around tress of the emerald sea, do they not qualify?

I pace myself, careful of mouth and tender ways in
which I hoard his name,
as sand accumulates between toes and saltish wind
fills my lungs,
I ask you, dear reader, ‘why does one walk?’
Does the idea seem appealing in the sense that
everything seems clearer when one is barefoot
or is it because the mere act itself feels
as unfinished poetry
waiting for the landscape of words to conclude
from their observations?
I can think of no other reason besides indulging
in every impulse and whim,
these walks remind me
that it is both wonderful and strange, in a hemisphere
far from the sanctum of stars, to even exist.

Photo credits: iPhone 12 Pro Max ‘view from my terrace.’

Lillian is our lovely host on dVerse where she invites us to write poems describing
a walk. This poem is inspired by the title of Brandon Sanderson’s novel, “Tress of
the emerald sea.” Come join us! 💙

Posted for Poetics: Talk a walk with me @dVerse Poets Pub

34 thoughts on “Walking around tress of the emerald sea

1. lillian says:

Is this photo looking out your window? I know your apartment now is by the sea. I love this writing….am especially smitten by these words:
    “The gulls are first to sigh in unison with the clouds” yes, yes yes!
    Beautiful imagery….and you truly draw me in when you ask “I ask you, dear reader, ‘why does one walk?’
    Enjoyed this walk with you!

1. Sanaa says:

Yes this photo is a direct view that shows what is outside my window! I thought to include it so as to add emphasis to the general mood of the poem 🥰

Thank you so much, Lillian 😀 so glad you enjoyed it! 💄💙

(and thank you for the glorious prompt) 🥂

1. It’s so gorgeous, Sanaa! (poem and photo both!)

Much love,
        David

Thank you so much, David 😀 so glad you liked it! 💄💙

2. Björn says:

This is such a great poem in its imagery, but what I liked the best are those questions in the last stanza.

Like this for instance
    the sense that
    everything seems clearer when one is barefoot
    or is it because the mere act itself feels
    as unfinished poetry

and then maybe it is that walking is a reminder that we simply exist.

Awww gosh! Thank you so much, Bjorn 😀 so glad the poem resonated with you 💄💙

3. How lovey to live by the sea, Sanaa, and to be able to see it from your window. That’s a thought, the sea being ‘volatile due to the promises stranded underneath’, and the image of the gulls ‘first to sigh in unison with the clouds’. I particularly like:
    ‘I pace myself, careful of mouth and tender ways in
    which I hoard his name,
    as sand accumulates between toes and saltish wind
    fills my lungs’
    mainly because it reminds me of when Ellen and I moved up to our first house in Norfolk, which was by the sea.
    I also love the comparison of walking with ‘unfinished poetry / waiting for the landscape of words to conclude’.

1. Sanaa says:

Oh wow! It must have been lovely to live by the sea in Norfolk 🥰 I can see why the imagery spoke to you.

Thank you so much, my dearest Kim 😍 so glad you liked it! 💄💙

4. Dwight L. Roth says:

A wonderful poem, Sanaa! Your question is compelling, causing us to assess how walking affects/effects us. Barefoot therapy is the very best kind!

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Dwight 😀 so glad the poem and its imagery appealed to you 💄💙

5. I like the question, and it still amazes me that what we see and the beauty of the vista changes with every single footfall. I think you captured that, every second and every step brings a new moment and a new meaning.

Thank you so much, Alison 😀 so glad the poem resonated with you 💄💙

6. Jane Dougherty says:

Those final lines are quite something to ponder upon, walking by the sea beneath the stars.

Thank you so much, Jane 😀 so glad you enjoyed it 💄💙

7. Gillena Cox says:

Why does one walk; good question
    Happy Tuesday

Much🖤love

Thank you so much, Gillena 😀 so good to see you 💄💙

much love back 🌷

8. “volatile due to the promises stranded underneath,”

Oh, how I relate. And love this:

“as the sky darkens from shy abalone to raisin,
    I watch them fly away one by one,”

Thank you so much, Melissa 😀 so glad the poem resonated with you 💄💙

9. Di says:

You have a wonderful way with words, there is so much to love in this poem and walk…I just love the idea of being barefoot in an unfinished poem. I love it… thank you!!

Awww gosh! Thank you so much, Di 😀 so glad you liked it 💄💙

10. Aboli Mane says:

“What of soul searching and long walks
    around tress of the emerald sea, do they not qualify?”

Ugh, this line pierced me right in the heart. Your poem Sanaa is this slow, reflective journey that
    takes the reader within. (Makes me lovesick with longing too for something unknown)

I’m very unabashedly a giddy fan of your writing. ❤️

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Aboli 😀 so glad the poem and its imagery appealed to you 💄💙

11. D. Avery says:

Wow that’s quite the view! The poem is as powerful as the waves. I liked how the act of walking “itself feels
    as unfinished poetry
    waiting for the landscape of words to conclude
    from their observations”

That is such high praise! Thank you so much, D. Avery 😀 so glad you liked it 💄💙

12. Reena Saxena says:

Incredibly gorgeous lines

the mere act itself feels
    as unfinished poetry
    waiting for the landscape of words to conclude
    from their observations?

Thank you so much, Reena 😀 so glad the poem resonated with you 💄💙

13. Suzanne Brace says:

Your poem is a thought provoking one, you have us not only walking with you but talking to you “dear poet” lovely…

Thank you so much, Suzanne 😀 so glad you liked it 💄💙

14. Yes, it is wonderful and strange that we exist! Worth taking time to walk and meditate on. Thank you for reminding us.

Thank you so much, Priscilla 😀 so glad you enjoyed it 💄💙

15. anotherKate says:

Amazing view!
    I love that description of the sky.

💙💙💙

16. Paul Cannon says:

You capture the magic of the ocean and beach, creating a wonderful metaphor for love, there’s a yearning I sense in this and your words inspire.

Thank you so much, Paul 😀 so glad the poem resonated with you 💄💙