The Long Shadow of Modi: A Litany

We must unfetter ourselves;
go beyond many media managed meringuesβ€”
hot lemon discombobulating masses,
who knows
what’s being whipped in the name of politics?
Our world inches closer still toward its own dread,
where men violate riverbanks;
is this the inevitable order of things?

Β

#Ladakh,
#India-China border disputes

Photo credits: “Citrus Time,” by Elena Klimenko, Pinterest

De is our hostess and the word is “Go.” Come join us! πŸ‹

Posted for Quadrille #122: Going, going, gone @ dVerse Poets Pub

Comments

1. De Jackson says:

Such great use of alliteration here, Sanaa. And how true, in so many ways and places.

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, De πŸ˜€ so glad you enjoyed it πŸ’„β€οΈ

(and thank you for the glorious prompt)

2. Ingrid says:

I hope it isn’t ‘the inevitable order of things’, but I do love the ‘many media managed meringues’ you whipped up here. Such an apt description!

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Ingrid πŸ˜€ so glad the poem resonated with you πŸ’„β€οΈ

3. Love the descriptive meringues used for media-it’s perfect Sanaa!

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Linda πŸ˜€ so good to see you πŸ’„β€οΈ

4. “Our world inches closer still toward its own dread,” – very telling lines but we have been here before many times. A great take on the prompt and quite a different road you have gone!

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, my dearest Laura πŸ™‚ so glad you liked it πŸ’„β€οΈ

5. Things do seem a discombobulated mess, don’t they? Your poem made me smile and worry simultaneously!

❀️❀️❀️

6. A political quadrille, Sanaa, unusual for you, and one that had me looking up Modi and the current situation in India. I admire your use of alliteration, the phrase β€˜hot lemon discombobulating masses’, and the wordplay with β€˜meringue’ and β€˜whipped’, underneath which there is a worrying darkness, especially in the final lines.

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, my dearest Kim πŸ™‚ so glad the poem resonated with you πŸ’„β€οΈ

7. A dash of not-Sunny today! I hope things improve, and that we’re not inching “closer still toward” our “own dread.” It’s extra scary to be close to it.
    “media managed meringues” is wonderful!

1. Sanaa says:

I hope so too, Merril! ❀️ I decided to play around with alliteration tonight πŸ˜‰

It seems that men can only do good after a disaster is here…. again and again we do horrific things.

1. Sanaa says:

Precisely! Thank you so much, Bjorn πŸ™‚ so glad the poem resonated with you πŸ’„β€οΈ

9. msjadeli says:

I really hope something extraordinary intervenes to interrupt the trajectory we find ourselves on. Plant trees is the best advice I can think of.

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Lisa πŸ™‚ so good to see you πŸ’„β€οΈ

10. K.Hartless says:

I love the last two line of your quadrille. The ‘violated riverbanks’ stands out an amazing image.

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, K. Hartless πŸ™‚ so glad you liked it πŸ’„β€οΈ

11. You run the imagery through this so well. It’s not a news story I’m familiar with (I’ve been avoiding current events a bit since it was starting to play on my anxiety quite a bit so I decided to take a break.) Fantastic choice of metaphor, meringue, sugar and air, sweet but without true substance.

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Carol πŸ™‚ so glad you enjoyed it πŸ’„β€οΈ

12. Dora says:

“Media managed meringues” indeed! Sino-Indian relations have never been good but China is feeling a newfound confidence to violate international mores and human rights with impunity. You put it so well.

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Dora πŸ˜€ so glad the poem resonated with you πŸ’„β€οΈ

13. peter says:

Like others, a fine take on the prompt – and reminds us – when news is so monopolised by COVID – that these disputes have been going for years (1959?) – and continue – used by politicians for their dark ends. Your quadrille shines a light.

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Peter πŸ™‚ so glad you liked it πŸ’„β€οΈ

14. Fine work, well thought out, Sanaa. Loved the alliteration. I used to think that negative outcomes WEREN’T our inevitable outcome, but I’m more jaded and pessimistic these days. Awesome work.

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Ron πŸ˜€ so good to see you πŸ’„β€οΈ

15. where men violate riverbanks;

I loved this, Sanaa

-David

❀️❀️❀️

16. rog leach says:

in answer with man kind involved anything inevetable!

1. Sanaa says:

Definitely πŸ™‚ thanks for stopping by, Rog πŸ’„β€οΈ

17. calmkate says:

Skilfully crafted wordsmithing to bring attention to to the carry on which has lingered too long … that cake is going stale!

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Kate πŸ™‚ so glad the poem resonated with you πŸ’„β€οΈ

18. You amazing me with your words.
    Great alliteration, “many media managed meringues” and yes, who knows “what’s being whipped in the name of politics?”
    Your tartness in this was spot on.

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Alicia πŸ˜€ so glad you enjoyed it πŸ’„β€οΈ

19. Gillena Cox says:

Good question. Is it i deed?

Happy Monday Sanaa

Stay Safe

MuchπŸ’—love

Happy Monday to you too, Gillena πŸ™‚

MuchπŸ’„β€οΈ love …

20. Tzvi Fievel says:

As a litany, perhaps, even a prayer,
    certain lines take on even more significance:
    We must unfetter ourselves,
    Our world inches closer still toward its own dread,
    Is this the inevitable order of things?
    Thank you very much.

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Tzvi πŸ™‚ so glad you liked it πŸ’„β€οΈ

21. Wonderful alliteration! You have such a way with words Sanaa and you used them so cleverly in highlighting something so important

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Christine πŸ˜€ so good to see you πŸ’„β€οΈ

22. lynn__ says:

I don’t trust the media meringues and politics picks some real lemons, it seems…good one, Sanaa!

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Lynn πŸ™‚ so glad the poem resonated with you πŸ’„β€οΈ

23. Dwight Roth says:

I am afraid politics will be what it has always been… greedy, dirty and cutthroat! A great poem Sanaa!

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Dwight πŸ™‚ so glad you liked it πŸ’„β€οΈ

24. This little quadrille says a lot but I like that it ends in a question. We have to leave room for hope and a change of course in the story! πŸ’–

1. Sanaa says:

Definitely πŸ™‚ thanks for stopping by, Tricia πŸ’„β€οΈ

25. Paul Cannon says:

A palpable shadow, and not a singular contribution – men- and you have captured for you how that feels and impacts, but also collect how others do the very same in other contexts. A litany indeed, and you already had me at discombobulating. πŸ™‚

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Paul πŸ˜€ so glad you enjoyed it πŸ’„β€οΈ

26. Loving both the obvious alliteration, and the less obvious, like the repeated “v” in the second to last line. But that last line pulls it together with it’s absolutely perfect rhythm.

This one demands to be read out loud.

1. Sanaa says:

Awww gosh! Thank you so much, Alexandra πŸ˜€ so glad you liked it πŸ’„β€οΈ

27. Misky says:

What a brilliant use of words to tie ones tongue in knots “hot lemon discombobulating masses”.

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Misky πŸ˜€ you are always so generous with praise πŸ’„β€οΈ

28. Great poem. Very relevant in today’s world.

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Maria πŸ™‚ so glad the poem resonated with you πŸ’„β€οΈ

29. Helen says:

Last line …. sobering. Great write, Sanaa.

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Helen πŸ™‚ so glad you enjoyed it πŸ’„β€οΈ

30. inevitable order of things is: the increasing state of disorder. Great poem, Sanaa.

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Mrityunjay πŸ™‚ so glad you liked it πŸ’„β€οΈ

31. Wow, I really like this! This world has become a rather scary meringue. What a fascinating metaphor.

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Jenna πŸ˜€ so glad you enjoyed it πŸ’„β€οΈ