Taking a bite out of an erotic poem

Suggestiveness is all allusion, inference and association;
a weapon,
an art of establishing the fragrance of a rose in the mind
of a reader
without presenting the rose itself—
I am fairly new to the subject of sensuality,
my humble verses denoting the fire that hums inside my breast.
Salt on the wind,
an erotic poem is one that doesn’t make us wait and sit—
it’s similar to diving into the ocean,
cerulean ecstasy,
from quickening of pulse to emotion quietly settling in.
Tell me,
Words, when devised properly
have the power to leave us alone with our thoughts— a rural silence,
a muted night
sought after,
nowadays as the city in continuous hustle and bustle grows restless;
an erotic poem stays with us long after taste buds change.

Photo credits: Adrien Broom Painting, Pinterest

For my ‘Guest Prompt,’ at dVerse Pub where I invite others
to explore the question, “What makes a poem erotic?” ❤️

Posted for Poetics: Exploring Erotica as a Literary Genre @ dVerse Poets Pub

Comments

the fragrance of a rose in the mind
    of a reader
    without presenting the rose itself

Yes that is how it should be… we have to veil the sensuality behind the reader’s own mind.

Thank you so much, Bjorn 😀 so glad you liked it 💄❤️

2. Dale says:

Words have much power…

Absolutely! Thanks for stopping by, Dale 💄❤️

3. Grace says:

As a reader, I like it sensual in a mature way.
    As a poet, I prefer the subtle way of wording it. And you are right, it stays with you.

“an erotic poem stays with us long after taste buds change.”

Thanks for being our guest host.

Thank you so much, Grace 😀 so glad the poem resonated with you 💄❤️

(It’s a pleasure to be guest hosting today)

4. Susan says:

Love the “taste of honey” reference. Well done!

Thank you so much, Susan 😀 so glad you enjoyed it 💄❤️

5. There is much to think about here. “Words when devised properly have the power to leave us alone with our thoughts”. So well put.

Thank you so much, Beverly 😀 so good to see you 💄❤️

6. Great title, Sanaa, and your poem took me on a journey into erotica. I love the definition of erotica as the ‘art of establishing the fragrance of a rose in the mind / of a reader / without presenting the rose itself’, and that is ‘similar to diving into the ocean’.My favourite line is: ‘isn’t it possible to taste honey without having it run down the corner of one’s lips?’ Mmmm…

Thank you so very much, Kim 😀 so glad the poem resonated with you 💄❤️

7. Barry says:

“Tell me,

Exquisite visuals here.

Thank you so much, Barry 🙂 so glad you liked it 💄❤️

8. I think words and suggestions can be more erotic than pictures. Your beautiful suggestion of ‘isn’t it possible to taste honey without having it run down the corner of one’s lips?” is a confirmation of it. I can’t get that image out of my head! Thanks for the great prompt!

1. Sanaa says:

That is such high praise! Thank you so much, Christine 😀 so glad you enjoyed both the poem and the prompt! 💄❤️

9. Mary Hood says:

Such wonderful imagery here! I love the last line best.

Thank you so much, Mary 😀 so good to see you! 💄❤️

10. This piece serves a dual purpose, illustrating what can done with your prompt, and providing a guideline for us. A task well done; thanks.

Thank you so much, Glenn 😀 so glad you liked it 💄❤️

11. an erotic poem stays with us long after taste buds change.
    This sums up your presentation very well.

Thank you so much, Dwight 😀 so glad the poem resonated with you 💄❤️

12. Ingrid says:

Here you have answered so well the question you posed for poetics: “What is your idea of an erotic poem? What makes it stimulating? In your own words describe the fine line between ribald and just plain classy.” This is classy and stimulating through and through. I like the allusion to ‘diving into the ocean,’ which I’ve always found a sensuous experience, heightened by the ‘Salt on the wind’ – wonderful!

Thank you so much, Ingrid 😀 so glad you enjoyed it 💄❤️

13. Vivian Zems says:

A stunning write, Sanaa! Love your introspective take on this!

Thank you so much, Vivian 😀 so glad you liked it 💄❤️

14. robtkistner says:

I liked this Sanaa, very well expressed. I agree with the essence of the piece, blatant smut is boring. But I may prefer a bit more of the “rose” in my erotica… 🙂

Thank you so much, Rob 🙂 so good to see you 💄❤️

15. Ken Gierke says:

Yes. Words have the power to make desire real. Even something as subtle as “Salt on the wind.”

Thank you so much, Ken 😀 so glad you liked it 💄❤️

16. Jane Dougherty says:

If we didn’t know how to tackle the prompt before, we do now 🙂

❤️❤️❤️

17. Jenna says:

Sanaa, your poem the other poems I have been reading are such an inspiration. Thank you for picking this wonderful theme!

Awww gosh! Thank you so much, Jenna 😀 so glad you enjoyed it! 💄❤️

18. isn’t it possible to taste honey without having it run down the corner of one’s lips? — Gorgeous line and the ending is sublime. 🥰

Thank you so much, Mother Wintermoon 😀 so glad you liked it 💄❤️

19. […] dVerse and our host, Sanaa Rizvi Sanaa’s prompt is [our personal take on] an erotic poem and erotic […]

20. Peter says:

Yes, lovely allusions in this – the ‘tastes change’ , ‘the rose’, ‘the salt’ just delicious. And thanks for a great prompt.

Thank you so much, Peter 😀 so glad the poem resonated with you 💄❤️

21. I love the rhetorical, Socratic style of inviting the reader into a dialogue , and drawing the erotic to the surface without force.

Thank you so much, Paul 😀 so glad you enjoyed it 💄❤️