Ode to Dark Chocolate

I love dark chocolate;
the kind that melts into your mouth,
with a hint of black cherry,
as I lounge and breathe in the salt air—
I know what you are thinking,
what could she possibly have to say
about chocolate
that hasn’t already been said?

Listen,
I am floating amid cream clouds,
hearing his voice as dark as licorice,
as orange marmalade with deep and intense
cocoa flavour—
I can almost make out the fragrance,
merciless
in its act of seduction—
tell me, which ground will mortality hide beneath?
Dark chocolate,
many have laid their heads drinking whiskey
outside a shrine—
toss me the moon, as I observe the night sky darken;
a tortoiseshell cat chase a fallen leaf.

Can it be so that I may write until the world ends,
Poetry, my genetic inheritance,
hard hitting
as dark chocolate when it comes in direct contact
with the tongue.
I dislike people who kick others in the teeth
especially now
when the world for compassion is in dire need—
dark chocolate is camaraderie,
how we exert it determines its texture and taste.

I prefer to eat while watching the news,
it helps to soften the blow—
dark and shadowy is hope but it’s there nonetheless,
there is no escape from fear,
from hatred
and from ignorance,
but humor me
while I indulge by tearing apart a large piece of it;
listen to the hammering of centuries—
love, I swear something big is coming towards us;
are we prepared?

Photo credits:  Pinterest

Join me, as I host the dVerse Open Link LIVE Event! 🍫

A Skylover Wordlist:  Merciless, listen, shrine, escape,
tortoiseshell, teeth, inheritance, cream, ground, fragrant 💝

Posted on Open Link LIVE #282 @ dVerse Poets Pub

Originally posted on Writers’ Pantry @ Poets and Storytellers United

Comments

1. I already love dark chocolate, but this wondrous poem gives it several extra dimensions! *Drool.

Thank you so much, Rosemary 😀 so glad you liked it 💄❤️

You have done more than justice to this month’s wordlist, Sanaa. I really appreciate your support, but more so the unique poems you have penned. The stark contrasts conveyed in this write really hit home.

Thank you so much, Kerry 😍 so glad you enjoyed it 💄❤️

#skyloverwordlist rocks

3. Thotpurge says:

Hmm are we prepared is indeed the question – if only chocolate would sweeten that answer!!!

Thank you so much, Rajani 🙂 so glad the poem resonated with you 💄❤️

4. Barry says:

I also have an affinity for dark chocolate, but your description is just as delicious.

Thank you so much, Barry 🙂 so glad you liked it 💄❤️

As I have grown older I too have chosen dark chocolate over milk. I wonder whether it is that life is sweeter when you are young but becomes bitter as you get older? Life however is a conundrum for the more we have the less satisfied we are with it!

Definitely 🙂 thanks for stopping by, Robin 💄❤️

6. Evrybody’s currently stocking up on toilet paper. Sandra and I remembered to pick up a sizeable ration of dark chocolate bars, too!

A wonderful coincidence! 💄❤️

7. Anything—dark chocolate included—that will help to soften the blows that come from all the dreadful news we’re hearing these days is MOST welcome! Hand me another piece of that delicious stuff, will you?

Definitely! Thank you so much, MMT 😀 so glad the poem resonated with you 💄❤️

8. I love how you weave this and where it goes. Indeed, we all need to find compassion right now.

Thank you so much, Audrey 😀 so glad you enjoyed it 💄❤️

9. Following the word-path as it meanders from the taste of dark chocolate, past the seduction to compare it to your words and then back home as a comfort. It’s like walking a trail in the woods and then back home.

Thank you so much, Joel 😀 so glad you liked it 💄❤️

10. dsnake1 says:

gotta stock up on some dark chocolate too. 🙂

We most certainly do! 😀

11. Chrissa says:

Dark chocolate is a familiar indulgence, but the layers here, the flavors that round out the sweetness…this is really magnificent. All the worry and the hope in the balance of bittersweet.

Thank you so much, Chrissa 😀 so glad the poem resonated with you 💄❤️

12. And you are a connoisseur of the sweet poetic word!

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Colleen 😀 that is so very kind of you to say so 💄❤️

I do hope we are prepared for anything bigger, God’s mercy perhaps in a cure to COVID 19
    Happy Sunday Sanaa

much love…

Definitely 🙂 thanks for stopping by, Gillena 💄❤️

Much love …

14. I’ve never particularly cared for dark chocolate, but if it would ease societal horrors I would eat the dark treat by the block.

I’m right there with the speaker in disliking people who feel the need to “kick others in the teeth”, especially when the others in question can’t protect themselves.

The world is a bit of a mess right now. And I fear that most of us are less than ready for the hammering to come.

Thank you so much, Magaly 🙂 so glad the poem resonated with you 💄❤️

15. Bev Crawford says:

Ah, If eating chocolate will help prepare us for what’s coming, I’m first in line! This is so beautifully written, every line is a feast!

Thank you so much, Beverly 😀 so glad you enjoyed it 💄❤️

16. Wendy Bourke says:

Wonderful … Though I am left obsessing about chocolate, it is worth it. A pleasure to read.

Thank you so much, Wendy 😀 so glad you liked it 💄❤️

17. Oh, what brilliance to mix the delight of dark chocolate with the times we find we’re living. These are days when we should rise to be our best selves. Stay safe and well my precious friend!

1. Sanaa says:

Wishing you the same my dear, Susie! Thank you so much 😀 so glad the poem resonated with you 💄❤️

18. I agree with what so many commenters have already expressed: This poem is magnificent. As soon as I read the title, I knew it would be delicious. 🙂 The third stanza is my favorite.

Thank you so much, Jenna 😀 so good to see you 💄❤️

19. Anita says:

I love all forms of chocolate- dark ones too 🙂
    Your last para reminds me of the coronavirus.
    Something big is coming our way – also an asteroid is supposed to pass near Earth on April 29.
    Take care! Have a great week!

Thank you so much, Anita 😀 so glad you liked it 💄❤️

You too, take care
      Have a great week ahead! 💐

20. Margaret says:

I enjoyed this entire wandering poem, but especially the last stanza. A down-to-earth poem. Really enjoyed it.

Thank you so very much, Margaret 😀 so glad you enjoyed it 💄❤️

21. Vivian Zems says:

My apologies for the late response….(Covid 19 etc)
    This is decadently delicious. I love the thought of eating chocs to soften the blow from the news 🙂

Thank you so much, Vivian 😀 so glad you liked it 💄❤️

22. Lucy says:

A beautiful, if not impactful, piece. <3

Thank you so much, Lucy 🙂 so good to see you 💄❤️

23. Jane Dougherty says:

I enjoyed your descriptions of dark chocolate and how it can seem. I don’t actually like dark chocolate so I appreciate the links with oranges and the exotic associations rather than the stuff itself.

Thank you so much, Jane 😀 so glad you enjoyed it 💄❤️

24. Anna :o] says:

Yum Yum! (Your words and dark chocolate!)
    Anna :o]

❤️❤️❤️

25. Ken Gierke says:

You had me at chocolate and cherries, but you just couldn’t stop there! What a tasty poem, and I enjoyed your reading in the LIVE session. (Thank you for hosting.)

Awww gosh! Thank you so much, Ken 😀 so glad you enjoyed it! 💄❤️

Thank you so much for joining in at Open Link LIVE!
      I enjoyed your reading too 🙂

26. RedCat says:

I love this. Also, I have to get some dark chocolate.

This poem is delicious. Mouth watering. A love celebration of chocolate.

Thank you so much, RedCat 😀 so glad the poem resonated with you 💄❤️

27. Reading this makes hearing you read it earlier this evening even more delicious, SR. Thanks for sharing & for hosting. You rock, Sister.

Thank you so much, Ron 😀 so glad you liked it 💄❤️

Thank you so much for joining in at Open Link LIVE!

You rock too! 🙂

28. Great seeing you today, Sanaa! A wonderful performance of a sumptuous poem that has my mouth watering!

Thankfully, my wife showed me a bag she bought at Cosco: 72% Belgian Dark Chocolate! 🙂

Yayyyy! That’s so wonderful! I’ll bet you had a great time 😀

Thank you so much, Frank 😀 so glad you enjoyed it! 💄❤️

29. rob kistner says:

This is sublimely beautiful Sanaa. What a joy it was to hear you read it today.

Thank you so much, Rob 😀 so glad you liked it 💄❤️

30. Helen Dehner says:

What a treat! Watching as you read this yummy poem today!!

1. Sanaa says:

Oh my goodness! Thank you! 😀 It was wonderful having you with us at the LIVE Event, Helen 💄❤️

31. msjadeli says:

I never met a chocolate I didn’t like. So enjoyable to hear you read it today. Thank you for your hosting today. It was a fun time, as the live pub always is!

Thank you so much, Lisa 😀 so glad you enjoyed it 💄❤️

32. Love me some dark chocolate. my wife hates it, leaving more for me! Wow, you wrote this before we understood Covid. I like the “hammering of the centuries” and ” I may write until the world ends.”

Thank you so much, Glenn 🙂 so glad the poem resonated with you 💄❤️

33. M. Jay Dixit says:

My mouth was watering after the first two stanzas! Amazing beautiful poetry.

Thank you so much, Mrityunjay 😀 so good to see you 💄❤️

34. calmkate says:

an intriguing and scintillating read!

A timely sweetener for our health crisis … most are fragile right now so kindness is called for in all interactions

Thank you so much, Kate 🙂 so glad you liked it 💄❤️

35. Ingrid says:

I absolutely loved this, Sanaa: you read it so well; savoured it, in fact! I am a chocolate lover but you took this to another dimension. We all need a little chocolate in our lives right now…

Awww gosh! Thank you so much, Ingrid 😀 so glad you enjoyed it! 💄❤️

Thank you so much for joining in at the LIVE Event. It was wonderful having you with us 🙂

36. Aaah! This is so lovely!

Poetry, my genetic inheritance,

This line made me very curious, BTW…

Yours,
    David

Thank you so much, David 😀 so glad you liked it 💄❤️

2. It made me curious, as well, David!

😉

37. Jason says:

You took chocolate in a direction I really had not expected, so fun, yet with such weight, so sweet yet not so so sweet. An enjoyable read!! /peace, J

Thank you so much, Jason 🙂 so glad the poem resonated with you 💄❤️

38. Apologies for reading late, but after the live OLN, I was too tired to read, and we had the electrician in all yesterday to sort out the heating – there is still none in the study or dining room! I too enjoy dark chocolate, especially with a hint of black cherry, and your reading made my mouth water, Sanaa!. I love the similes ‘his voice as dark as licorice’ and ’as orange marmalade with deep and intense cocoa flavour’, and the image of the playful tortoiseshell cat chasing a fallen leaf. And you are quite right, dark chocolate helps to soften the blow of the news.

Thank you so much, my dearest Kim 😀 so glad you enjoyed it 💄❤️

39. Such a unique poem–one to read over a few times. I loved hearing you read it, and I love dark chocolate! I always have a chocolate stash. 😏
    Thank you for hosting! ❤️

Thank you so much, Merril 😀 so glad you liked it 💄❤️

(thank you for being there with me!) 🙂

40. Jenna says:

Ahh, luscious and a delight to read! The imagery in the first two stanzas is <3 Wow!

Thank you so much, Jenna 😀 so good to see you 💄❤️