This sugar, this feeling tossed into the shoreline by a gathering storm

Friday night and the lights are low,
I think back to what you said
not so long ago,
promise-notes of earth’s rain,
each of them in harbor grey and etched upon the sky.

In throes of ambiguity is pulse, throbbing,
while blossoms come as a serenade and appeal
to the softer side,
let it stay in serene comfort,
your head on my chest,
tousles of hair spilling across, watching and wishing;
it’s difficult to say what comes first,
first-light or murmuring of your nameβ€”
sleep is no cure, of this much I am sure,
dark globes of the chandelier both exploding
and stationery
into the serendipity of duality that is our shared existence;
is both air and fire,
a road that leads to tequila sunrise.
You crave my calm and I in turn savor your storm.

With your lips and icy current ripped between
write chapters
and render me helpless,
as the world becomes a pencil drawing,
a masterpiece on the easel,
from charcoal to melodic umber hues,
from cream softened mauves to blues that mature
into a sea-spun sage,
as winter arrives and is welcomed like long remembered song;
smile indulgently at my words,
I will wrap you safe and dangerous into my being
and write you between the lines.

I think back to what you said
not so long ago,
in hours early, on crystalline white trails where poplars grow.

Photo credits: Pinterest

Lillian hosts at dVerse and invites us to write a poem that includes one line
from ABBA’s number one hit “Dancing Queen.” Come join us! πŸ’

Posted for Poetics: “Dancing Queen by ABBA” @dVerse Poets Pub

Comments

1. ‘You crave my calm and I in turn savor your storm.’ Sounds like a match made in heaven, Sanaa! πŸ’•

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Ingrid πŸ˜€ so glad you liked it πŸ’„β€οΈ

2. I really like that part.

Oh, we chose the same line, but you took me into a totally different domain… there is so much to love in your romantic night… so much more real than the glitz of a dancing scene.

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Bjorn πŸ˜€ so glad the poem resonated with you πŸ’„β€οΈ

3. Lillian says:

Whew! My pulse has risen with this romantic scene! “You crave my calm and I in turn savor your storm.” This line says soooo much! You are definitely the Queen of Romance at dVerse! Be still my heart!

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, my dearest Lillian πŸ˜€ so glad you enjoyed it πŸ’„β€οΈ

(and thank you for the glorious prompt)

4. Ken Gierke says:

A masterpiece on the page.
    I love this line:
    “You crave my calm and I in turn savor your storm.”

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Ken πŸ˜€ so glad you liked it πŸ’„β€οΈ

5. Loved each line, but I really stopped to picture this image – “as the world becomes a pencil drawing, a masterpiece on the easel, from charcoal to melodic umber hues” your words had my mind swaying, very much like a slow dance! ❣

6. Dora says:

Sanaa,
    This is absolutely replete with all the fiery sensuality of a yearning lover: my favorite — “write you between the lines”!!
    Pax,
    Dora

7. Others have already noted my favorite line – “You crave my calm and I in turn savor your storm.” but the title is also pure poetry. Awesome piece, I am so enthralled!

8. Jane Dougherty says:

I love the harbour-grey description. It’s really stuck with me.

9. Ain Starlingsson says:

So, so much here, so rich with words, images, sensuality and yearning. Such a pleasure to read, and some lovely subtle touches of nature woven in as well, which goes so well. Again, such a pleasure to read. I have come to poetry very late, have not read that much, but this is a real experience.

10. Mary Hood says:

Stunning!

11. A wonderful poem of words dancing across the page. Your images are so vivid and full of passion. I loved this image…
    dark globes of the chandelier both exploding
    and stationery
    into the serendipity of duality that is our shared existence

12. Everyone already said it but the line “You crave my calm and I in turn savor your storm” is one for the ages!

13. ayieko sami says:

that line invites a story for sure

14. I love all of the contrasting images.

15. lynn__ says:

Lovely, Sanaa…a fresh way to say “opposites attract”!

16. calmkate says:

you are the deva of sensual yearning, each line stands out!