The strangeness of it all

Do you remember? Remember, the time we went to the
moor? Barefoot round a turning in the path— in the
darkness an unexpected scent touched us, of honey,
heather and gorse bush which seems to be embroidered
into the very landscape.

Tell me how do you feel?  Sleeplessness unveiling itself from
the bitter blue sky; if only we could paint choices on its walls
wouldn’t need to then endure all that follows. I am slightly
damp,  for romance of melancholy found within the classics
refuse to leave me; is this what it means to be an old soul?

We look at him through the wrong end of the long telescope
of time, mortality, my dear, is a flavor long attached with the
moors. And I wonder if expansiveness, if mere concept that
tugs needs to be explored more often? Do we cry or rest?

Photo credits: Mira Nedyalkova, Stockholm Syndrome

Kim hosts at dVerse and asks to write inspired by a line from “Hummingbird,” by D.H. Lawrence 💝

Posted for Prosery Monday: Telescope of Time @ dVerse Poets Pub

40 thoughts on “The strangeness of it all

There is something so eternal about a moor… I think of the madness of being alone in a place known… maybe even in a dream. The questions work so well

Thank you so much, Bjorn 😀 so glad the prose resonated with you 💄❤️

2. Sarah Connor says:

There’s something dreamlike here. The reference to the moors made me think of Cathy and Heathcliff – old neighbours of mine! – and I like your ending. Moors are bleak and beautiful, one of my favourite landscapes.

1. Sanaa says:

That’s soo cool! I loved studying ‘Wuthering Heights’ in University. Thank you so much, Sarah 😀 so glad you enjoyed it 💄❤️

3. I absolutely love the ending here Sanaa..

Thank you so much, Linda 😀 so glad you liked it 💄❤️

4. Like Sarah, I thought of Cathy and Heathcliff barefoot on the moor. You certainly captured the scents of the moor, Sanaa: honey, heather and gorse and I like the phrase ‘embroidered into the very landscape’. Yes, mortality and the moor have a shared past.

Thank you so much, Kim 😀 so glad the prose resonated with you 💄❤️

(and thank you for the amazing prompt)

5. calmkate says:

really love this one, gentle yet provoking … expansive needs to be explored further …

Thank you so much, Kate 😀 so glad you enjoyed it 💄❤️

6. Gillena Cox says:

Luv the questions you left to us for our ponder
    Stay safe

Much💛love

Thank you so much, Gillena 🙂 so good to see you 💄❤️

You too, stay safe!
      Much love …

7. Nicely moody and evocative, which the DHL quote engenders.

Thank you so much, Francis 😀 so glad you liked it 💄❤️

8. msjadeli says:

Beautiful proseful existential meandering, like meandering night on the moor.

❤️❤️❤️

9. Ron. says:

Embroidered landscape.

Everything else.

Fine work Sanaa

Thank you so much, Ron 😀 so good to see you 💄❤️

10. Ken Gierke says:

This feels like a tale that could be told anew with each new generation.

Thank you so much, Ken 😀 so glad the prose resonated with you 💄❤️

11. Jan Beekman says:

I love the way time and place take on new meanings as the various poets are inspired by this D.H. Lawrence quote. Yours is so unique, Sanaa! I could never have written this. The “romance of melancholy found within the classics” escapes me. I need to go back!

Aww gosh! Thank you so much, Jan 😀 so glad you enjoyed it! 💄❤️

12. Your suspenseful tale is very good! I loved the bushes embroidered into the landscape!

Thank you so much, Dwight 😀 so good to see you 💄❤️

13. Kerfe says:

“embroidered into the very landscape”–such a vivid image. All the senses patterned into a moment in time.

Thank you so much, Kerfe 😀 so glad you liked it 💄❤️

14. Dora says:

Wow, absolutely caught up in the romance of the landscape and the meditation it invokes! Lovely.

Thank you so much, Dora 😀 so glad you enjoyed it 💄❤️

15. Ingrid says:

Wuthering Heights is one of my favourite novels – I’ve re-read it several times. That idea of running wild over the moors is timeless, isn’t it? You pose a poignant question at the end: great piece!

Thank you so much, Ingrid 😀 so glad the prose resonated with you 💄❤️

16. for romance of melancholy found within the classics
    refuse to leave me; is this what it means to be an old soul?

There comes a time when the hurt of reality sees one in the eye.’It only seems like yesterday’ is the often-quoted remark. Good shot Sanaa!

Hank

Definitely 🙂 thanks for stopping by, Hank 💄❤️

17. This reminded me of Outlander and Claire and Jamie’s love through the centuries. So beautifully written Sanaa. It was dreamy and romantic with all those unanswered questions 🥰❤️

Thank you so much, Christine 😀 so glad you liked it 💄❤️

18. I enjoyed this narrator’s flash back to the moor with it’s darkness and smells and nostalgia. She is reflecting on life and her own mortality. It is something most of us want to push away and not think about, not magnify, yet when we do we can change our perspective to that expansiveness. Beautiful language and I like the ending, do we cry or rest?

Thank you so much, Tricia 😀 so glad you enjoyed it 💄❤️

19. robtkistner says:

Hauntingly romantic — it has a mythical sense to it. Well written Sanaa, and a truly great picture to accompany It.

Thank you so much, Rob 🙂 so glad you liked it 💄❤️

20. Lillian says:

Like Sarah and Kim, I equate the moors with Heathcliff and the romance and mysteries of those times….I love this take on the prompt! The questions at the end, keep the reader connected beyond the ending of your words.

Thank you so much, Lillian 😀 so glad the prose resonated with you 💄❤️