Milk Moon ~ Part Two: Behind the drapes

I prefer the heavy drape of velvet;
turning, transforming into new shades
and permeating
from where it was once touchedโ€”a conclusion of sorts.
We speak in tongues
as the moon slowly disintegrates into cloud,
you breathe me in
and I fill your lungs; perhaps this is the real secret of alchemy?
What is hidden and what is no longer concealed
remains a mysteryโ€”

I allow familiarity to fall in folds,
like a landscape
painted
peaceful and still; why then the need of ribaldry?
I am dampened by the passing rain, witness
to a world thatโ€™s doubly edged.

With my whole body, I taste adherence,
no almond milk in comparison tastes sweeterโ€”
there is a reason
my poetry is written down,

words these words are what lips to you cannot possibly utter;
let them remain behind the drapes,
I observe many things.

Photo credits: N.J Covington, Drapery in Clay

A Skylover Wordlist: Almond, alchemy, landscape ๐Ÿ’

Posted for Writers’ Pantry @ Poets and Storytellers United

Comments

1. Thotpurge says:

I love the image of familiarity falling in folds….

Thank you so much, Rajani ๐Ÿ˜€ so glad you liked it ๐Ÿ’„โค๏ธ

2. A fascinating scenario. I love most of all, ‘we speak in tongues’, ‘perhaps this is the real secret of alchemy?’ ‘With my whole body, I taste adherence,’ and the final line.

Thank you so much, Rosemary ๐Ÿ˜€ so glad you enjoyed it ๐Ÿ’„โค๏ธ

Often Sanaa there is a tendency to sadness in your poetry. The words are beautiful but the grieving is there. One particulat line stood out for me and that was ” I am dampened by the passing rain, witness to a world that is doubly edged”. A stunning write indeed.

Thank you so much, Robin ๐Ÿ™‚ so good to see you ๐Ÿ’„โค๏ธ

4. I love the image of the velvet drape โ€˜turning, transforming into new shadesโ€™, thatโ€™s what I like about that fabric, and the idea that itโ€™s โ€˜a conclusion of sortsโ€™. I especially love the soft alliterative sound, almost a swish, of โ€˜I allow familiarity to fall in foldsโ€™, a beautiful metaphor.

Thank you so much, Kim ๐Ÿ˜€ so glad the poem resonated with you ๐Ÿ’„โค๏ธ

5. So much exists behind the drapes – a great metaphor. Loved this.

Thank you so much, Anthony ๐Ÿ™‚ so glad you liked it ๐Ÿ’„โค๏ธ

6. Wonderful work indeed, Sanaa; especially this:

What is hidden and what is no longer concealed
    remains a mysteryโ€”

Sometimes all we can see is what isn’t really there and, sadly, vice-versa…

Well done

1. Sanaa says:

Interesting ๐Ÿ™‚ I like your perspective on this, Ron. Thanks for stopping by ๐Ÿ’„โค๏ธ

I have often been grateful for the agility of my pen when my mouth was too clumsy to do the job right.

Thank you so much, Rommy ๐Ÿ™‚ so glad the poem resonated with you ๐Ÿ’„โค๏ธ

8. Chrissa says:

Lovely and enfolding–the sense of the poet as an entire place and time.

Thank you so much, Chrissa ๐Ÿ˜€ so glad you enjoyed it ๐Ÿ’„โค๏ธ

9. dsnake1 says:

there is a sense of mystery in the imagery of the poem.
    it seems there is sadness in the narrator, but there is no reason to.

Thank you so much, Lee San ๐Ÿ™‚ so glad you liked it ๐Ÿ’„โค๏ธ

10. Sometimes, inked feels are the only way to speak clearly. Sigh.

Definitely ๐Ÿ™‚ thanks for stopping by, Magaly ๐Ÿ’„โค๏ธ

11. “I am dampened by the passing rain, witness
    to a world thatโ€™s doubly edged.”
    Another glimpse of sadness throughout this poem and it would be our hope that you hide all your words behind the drapes.

Thank you so much, Joel ๐Ÿ™‚ so good to see you ๐Ÿ’„โค๏ธ

1. Oops, I meant to write I hope you don’t you hide all your words behind the drapes. (Sorry)

1. And another typo. I need a better editor. Keep your words flowing, Sanaa. They are beautiful and refreshing.

12. This is gorgeous, Sanaa. I love the tension between what is and what is unseen – or perhaps I should say the unseeing. Just beautiful.

Thank you so much, H. Hennenburg ๐Ÿ˜€ so glad you enjoyed it ๐Ÿ’„โค๏ธ

13. I especially love and relate to this line: I allow familiarity to fall in folds, like a landscape. I think you are a night shift stenographer for the moon.

1. Sanaa says:

High praise ๐Ÿ˜€ Thank you so much, Colleen ๐Ÿ˜€ so glad you liked it ๐Ÿ’„โค๏ธ

14. Helen says:

Velvet is a lush, lovely fabric ~ as is your poem.

โค๏ธโค๏ธโค๏ธโค๏ธ

15. I’m sure that this is the secret of alchemy, indeed, A breathless write, Sanaa!

Thank you so much, Vivian ๐Ÿ˜€ so glad you enjoyed it ๐Ÿ’„โค๏ธ

16. Bev Crawford says:

We keep so much behind the velvet folds โ€ฆ that secret inner self, vulnerable and needy.

Thank you so much, Beverly ๐Ÿ˜€ so glad the poem resonated with you ๐Ÿ’„โค๏ธ

17. So softly sensual but without any artifice–I love this!

Thank you so much, Audrey ๐Ÿ˜€ so glad you liked it ๐Ÿ’„โค๏ธ

The image of speaking in tongues is so very intimate, nicely done
    Thanks for droppping by my dumie Sunday today Sanaa

Much๐Ÿ’šlove

19. this is a powerful statement:

let them remain behind the drapes…

your poem just oozes eloquence it’s brilliant.

20. Oh, I find it easier to write it down than to speak it these days. You have so beautifully expressed what I’ve been feeling.

21. cie says: