I Want To Love You

I want to love you;
as twilight comes to bring respite, to the time of reflection
upon the day gone by and awaiting
to be renewed by the sunβ€”
such is the allusion to enthused season,
to every fiber in my being which the day heralds.
I will let you set the pace,
for only then can poetry drink from the rainβ€”
I don’t know what hits me more, rhythm
or mere limitations of language;
perhaps conflict of every nature is what keeps us going.
I watch as lips curl around the rim of the glass,
around purpose, around punctuation,
leaving behind a painted streak that begs not to editβ€”
I am brave enough;
for what is emotion but a road upon which we are called
to travel?
I harbor a wild, insatiable appetite to live blatantly
in my audacity to be me; I want to love you.

Photo credits: Richard Blunt Artwork, Pinterest

Words Used: Allusion, conflict, edit, pace, punctuation,
poetry, rhythm πŸ’

Posted for Weekly Scribblings @ Poets and Storytellers United

28 thoughts on “I Want To Love You

1. I thrill to it all, and particularly these lines:

what is emotion but a road upon which we are called
    to travel?
    I harbor a wild, insatiable appetite to live blatantly
    in my audacity to be me;

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Rosemary πŸ˜€ so glad you enjoyed it πŸ’„β€οΈ

2. Another stunning love poem, Sanaa! You’ve woven the prompt words well, especially:
    β€˜β€¦only then can poetry drink from the rain’
    And
    β€˜I watch as lips curl around the rim of the glass,
    around purpose, around punctuation,
    leaving behind a painted streak that begs not to edit’.

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Kim πŸ˜€ so glad you liked it πŸ’„β€οΈ

3. Only brave can love like this and move ahead!

❀️❀️❀️

It really is a delight to have you read your work to us Sanaa. Being yourself is always the best plan in relationships then there can be no doubt who and what you are.

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Robin πŸ™‚ so glad the poem resonated with you πŸ’„β€οΈ

Those last two lines–yes! Love and live out loud.

1. My thoughts exactly! I cheered when I read them.

❀️❀️❀️

2. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Rommy πŸ˜€ so glad you enjoyed it πŸ’„β€οΈ

“for what is emotion but a road upon which we are called
    to travel?”
    Enjoyed your poem line after line after line
    Happy Wednesday Sanaaa

much love…

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Gillena πŸ˜€ so good to see you πŸ’„β€οΈ

Happy Wednesday!
      Much🌹love …

7. In my mind, “I harbor a wild, insatiable appetite to live blatantly
    in my audacity to be me”, but my years fall upon me and wild and insatiable seem beyond me now! It is nice to live vicariously through your words!

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Beverly πŸ˜€ so glad you liked it πŸ’„β€οΈ

8. Sanaa, like Rommy, I was taken by the conclusion. I love the beauty of the words and confidence of the statement.

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Magaly πŸ˜€ so glad the poem resonated with you πŸ’„β€οΈ

9. Vivian Zems says:

This is a very strong piece, Sanaa! I love how pragmatic you are in addressing emotion as a road that must be traveled. Love this!

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Vivian πŸ˜€ so glad you enjoyed it πŸ’„β€οΈ

10. “for only then can poetry drink from the rain” – the emotion that pours down upon us and from us. Striking words that I read during a rainstorm.

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Joel πŸ˜€ so glad you liked it πŸ’„β€οΈ

11. Letting someone else set the pace can be a good thing or a bad thing. It’s a tossup.

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, MMT πŸ™‚ so good to see you πŸ’„β€οΈ

12. Margaret says:

The image of poetry drinking from the rain is wonderful!

“I want to love you”… when one finds the need to “edit” the other person – this poem makes me think that sometimes letting go is the best thing to do….

I also love:

“I watch as lips curl around the rim of the glass,
    around purpose, around punctuation,

1. Sanaa says:

Quite the contrary, the poem speaks about loving and accepting a man exactly the way he is and coming through for each other in the end. I am glad you liked it πŸ’„β€οΈ

13. Sara McNulty says:

Love this, Sanaa! Those last lines are killers.

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, Sara πŸ˜€ so glad you enjoyed it πŸ’„β€οΈ