Verses Upon The Flaming Wings Of July

God’s word is not just to be heard and repeated; it is to be breathed, lived, and emulated with each action. — Steve Maraboli

Without You, I could have never walked among the low clouds, perfectly white
in hue and shade
the street looks like an unfinished painting,
perhaps an epiphany just waiting for a passerby to see certain events
through a prism of new light in the story
dear wounded, worn and wanting I am conscious of dampness that comes
before the rain,
of chasms where darker demons dwell in the mind
and now the threads of longing in a chapter waiting to be read are starting
to unwind.

There is tranquility in the hours of early morning, with birds bringing
sweet high notes,
there are many who had come to pry me open
there are many who had come searching for answers that were never present,
as though attempting to clench water into their hands
they promised me that their words were forged in steel
the world
as I know is comprised of shadows and wild patch of woods
that beg to be explored,
you can either step in holding hands with courage or forever be knocked back
by the brutal winds of confusion.

The city has put in new blooms, with flashes of amber and rouge pink
before me the future
behind me the past, I wonder if He can listen to my heart pounding
amidst chaos and din
for it’s an odd and bewildering thing to feel that you don’t belong to any place
and person on earth,
I am determined not to let worries lead me astray from the path
they often come with intentions seemingly untainted and kind.

I am conviction, I am fire, around increasing twilight I am an open book
of prayer

dear wounded, worn and wanting I am conscious of breath coming in episode
let your ruffled souls rise from the ashes
and though dark your dreams remember that dawn is never too far behind
I move on forward without flinching through the sweltering heat
of summer
my faith akin to law engraved in a fledgling heart,
why do you forget that in order to fly we must first forget the ground?
Without You I could have never walked among the low clouds, perfectly white
in hue and shade.

Photo credits: Pinterest

Posted for Midweek Motif @ Poets United

& on Open Link Night @ dVerse Poets Pub

46 thoughts on “Verses Upon The Flaming Wings Of July

1. Sumana Roy says:

There’s so much beauty and strength in every line. “…you can’t delude light with the threat of darkness
    the world…” This almost reads like an adage. And, and, and the reading was an added bonanza 💖

Awww gosh! ❤️ Thank you so much, Sumana 😀 so glad you enjoyed it! ❤️

(and thank you for the lovely prompt) 🌹

2. Susan says:

“I am determined not to let worries lead me astray from the path
    they often come with intentions seemingly untainted and kind.”
    For me, this is the core around which your true and beautiful imagery–so powerful–revolves. To follow our own paths on and, at times, despite the earth is hard–especially when surrounded by those who attract us with their good intentions. I experience this over and over. It is a struggle. HowI love your final verse, your first and last lines.

What a beautiful but sad poem this is Sanaa. How well the reading fitted the mood with what seemed to be a touch of loneliness besides the determination of the words.

4. marja says:

“Through a prism of new light in the story”, dampness before rain, words were forged in steel
    etc etc Too many stunning images in this gorgeous amazing poem You are a star. When is your book coming

Oh !oh! oh !oh !oh!
    This is for sure my favourite of yours up to now. And thanks for sharing the opening quote

Much❤🕊❤love

An amazing write Sanaa… so many lines to love, how you used the city and the lights to show your determination to follow that path which sometimes is so hard, but still the only way to have those wings.

7. Glenn Buttkus says:

This is one of your best, a bustling, passionate prose poem that read like a chapter preamble in an exotic novel. Damn, you can write; one of your best. I loved the line /I am conscious of dampness that comes before the rain/. Wow.

8. Laura Bloomsbury says:

First I read and then I listened to your reading – you have a gently voice and this is quite an epic Sanaa with both depth and breadth – I did love these lines
    the world
    as I know is comprised of shadows and wild patch of woods”

I am conviction, I am fire, around increasing twilight I am an open book
    of prayer
    dear wounded, worn and wanting I am conscious of breath coming in episode
    let your ruffled souls rise from the ashes
    A stirring monologue of hope in hard times.

10. Panchali says:

A powerful piece with full of beautiful images…Gorgeous, SaNaa! It’s such a pleasure reading you… :))

11. Bryan Ens says:

Wow! Amazing write, and powerful call to walk in faith! Love the lines: “There is tranquility in the hours of early morning, with birds bringing/sweet high notes” (I love mornings when I can sit and listen to birdsong ), and “I suppose they never realized you can’t delude light with the threat of darkness”.

12. lynn__ says:

This is inspiring and profound writing, Sanaa, and a beautiful reading too! I do believe God hears and knows our hearts and we can walk with courage unflinching.

This poem is epic, Sanaa! From the street that ‘looks like an unfinished painting’ and the ‘dampness that comes before the rain’ to the ‘tranquillity in the hours of early morning’ and the ‘new blooms, with flashes of amber and rouge pink’, you’ve created a vivid cityscape, brimming with emotion. I like the alliteration in ‘dear wounded, worn and wanting’ and I love the liens:
    ‘let your ruffled souls rise from the ashes
    and though dark your dreams remember that dawn is never too far behind
    I move on forward without flinching through the sweltering heat
    of summer’.

14. Jade Li says:

Your title fits your poem so well. I love this line “I suppose they never realized you can’t delude light with the threat of darkness”. I like hearing you read it as well, Sanaa.

15. Mish says:

Absolutely stunning, Sanaa. Very moving the way you describe those abstract aspects of life like faith, love, light, loneliness in a way that is so intimate and palpable. An amazing write.