Untitled (moods and shades of autumn)

I felt, the tender stroke of autumn in the
palm of my hand, its colors both vibrant
cherry red and magnanimous brown.

Then moment I laid eyes upon its beauty,
wind ruffled and drew backward my hair,
as though time offering a second chance.

Now, I gaze upon the leaves, different this
time around, observe its underlying depth
and most cherished wisdom.

I realize autumn with its moods and shades
is similar to the time of spring, it offers us a
second re-awakening, perhaps a renewal of
hope and feeling.

I, observed as wind changed its course, this
time gentler, more serene, as it touched me
lovingly on my cheek.

It felt strange, as though nature wanted me
to understand everything better, to wander
deeper into roots and breathe in tranquility
and calm.

‘You have given me something to chew on.’

Photo credits: M. Bednar

I chose to write on Artistic interpretations – Simply Beautiful, December 2014

Posted on Sunday Mini-Challenge @ Real Toads

also posted on the Poetry Pantry @ Poets United

54 thoughts on “Untitled (moods and shades of autumn)

I’m reading you Spring as hello again, and Autumn as a last hurrah. Each with the mood of festivity.
    A beautiful write Sanaa. And as always there the hope trending your poem

Much love…

I agree with Bjorn, although I personally prefer autumn colours. I enjoyed these lines:
    ‘…as though nature wanted me
    to understand everything better, to wander
    deeper into roots and breathe in tranquility
    and calm.’

Awww!❤️ Thank you so much, Marian 😀 so glad you liked it!❤️

(We definitely are 🙂 )

I like the thoughtful tone here. Maybe autumn can be said to be a less boisterous version of spring (spring here likes to keep you guessing, while autumn seems to like to ease its way in) and both times are wonderful for assessing new beginnings.

4. Truedessa says:

I think Autumn and Spring both bring lessons to learn. I think with each new season we have the opportunity to view our life and see the beauty in nature. I can feel the winds of change in your words.

5. Magical Mystical Teacher says:

I like the image of wandering deeper into roots. I think I might find something fascinating—and life-giving—there.

6. ZQ says:

Wow that was quite a good trail of the senses until I had to “Chew”. Then again I may be missing the metaphor 🙂 A wonderful reading for me.
    ZQ

7. Bev says:

Autumn brings a time to review and rest; spring bring a time to be rejuvenated and spring to life … and isn’t it a wonderful plan?

8. Wendy Bourke says:

This is beautifully written. I thought that the form that you used here, is perfect. It reads from the perspective of a woman trying to find words to capture a transformative experience she has had with nature. Wonderful writing!

This was a fun little read, Sanaa (but not really little, just a little bit little), encouraging Autumn appreciation. I like that aspect.

In reality we should love all seasons as they make their rounds but do tend to have our favorites not fully accepting that as we breathe we change too being born anew each morning with another journey to undertake and hiberate later on for few hours.

11. kaykuala h says:

as wind changed its course, this
    time gentler, more serene, as it touched me

One will sometimes be made more aware of changes by external factors that touch our hearts!

Hank