The Myth Of Clear Conscience

I can not forget cries of innocence
as you carried me
to the edge of the moon,
the way I closed my fists
as tears met with soft susurration
of leaves in summer.

There are centuries that are lonely
where you inscribed pain
upon delicate skin.
Can you hear the rush of blood
as roses turn away
when you deeper plunge
soul into darkness, where even
the dead don’t make a sound.

Conscience it seems is a contract
between the flesh and mind,
perhaps if I whisper your name
it will haunt and chastise.
And I shall return to days unsullied
mourn with the gentle
shower of rain.

If only I could scatter my soul
upon grasslands of listening earth
whisper prayers to utopian sun,
until I forget the cries of innocence
that question me afar
from the lies you have built.

Photo credits: Henry Asencio, 1972

Posted for Kerry’s Challenge @ Real Toads

& Posted on Poetry Pantry @ Poets United

64 thoughts on “The Myth Of Clear Conscience

I want to start quoting lines like a mad woman here. Because there are so many delicious lines… lines that will stay with me. But, I shall contain some of my enthusiasm, and just quote the first line of the second stanza, “There are centuries that are lonely”. I love it. Especially as a response for this prompt. Because it reads like the beginning of a dystopian novel. There is a sort of longing oozing out of those words, which can’t be confused with anything other than loss (and, perhaps, recovery to be had).

2. Kanzensakura says:

There are centuries that are lonely…these lines speak to me deeply of loss, remind me of the depth of pain while watching my mother die. It was only 6 months but it like centuries. An excellent write Sanaa. Rich and emotive.

3. HA says:

The diction and metaphorical outreach in this verse is a thing of wonder – this is so personal and therefore emotional. I love how delicately you have etched these words together for such a feeling. This is plain beautiful: “There are centuries that are lonely/where you inscribed pain/upon delicate skin.”

The opening stanza, as one long sentence, sets the tone of this other-worldly love poem. I was especially touched by this description:
    There are centuries that are lonely
    where you inscribed pain
    upon delicate skin.

Human experience is digested and understood in a myriad of ways and you have given a new perspective on emotional pain and longing which could span centuries.

Oh gosh! ❀️ Thank you so much, Kerry πŸ˜€ so glad you liked it! ❀️

(and thank you for the lovely prompt)

5. Anna :o] says:

Habitual liars have no conscience nor those who lie in the name of love when lust is their only objective.
    And the hurt the betrayal does indeed last for centuries in our minds, broken as we are.
    A beautiful haunting dark write Sanaa.
    Anna :o]

What an incredible emotion you aroused in your delicious yet sad words Sanaa. I loved the poem but it hurt in the way that those feelings she expressed were so real.

“Conscience it seems is a contract
    between the flesh and mind,”
    I find these words particularly ponder-able. A deeply evocative poem Sanaa
    Happy you dropped by my Sunday Standard today

MuchπŸ’žlove

Oh my goodness, Sanaa, this is stunning! So much passion and darkness in:
    ‘…you carried me
    to the edge of the moon’;
    ‘…roses turn away
    when you deeper plunge
    soul into darkness, where even
    the dead don’t make a sound’
    and
    ‘until I forget the cries of innocence
    that question me afar
    from the lies you have built’.

9. Truedessa says:

I have traveled the roads of loneliness, searching for answers and calling for a love that never hears..too much time I have wasted on a dream… I guess you stirred something in me as now I am weeping.

10. Daniella Moyles says:

“There are centuries that are lonely where you inscribed pain upon delicate skin…” This is so poignant, Sanaa!

11. kaykuala says:

until I forget the cries of innocence
    that question me afar
    from the lies you have built.

The male species are expected to act in ways coupled with traps along the way to get what they desire. You’ve said it right Sanaa!

Hank

12. Annell Livingston says:

Need we carry a heavy load, or allow someone to live rent free in our minds? “And I shall return to days unsullied mourn with the gentle shower of rain.” Love this, shower of gentle rain. Skip away, whistle a tune, forget the lier, not worth the sorrow.

13. Sara McNulty says:

From the opening stanza through to those last lines, this is outstanding. You feel the raw emotion of it, like tearing open a wound.