The Moon and I

Once after every fortnight, while I reason, in shades of white,
Over queries that seemed to plague a burning heart—
There shone from among the clouds, a hint of a titian moon.
“Oh, you’re here,” I whispered, peering out the window
There is a world out there, “gesturing to my warrior soul—
My story is much too complex to be told.”

Oh, explicitly I remember it was in bold November;
As each breath thawed these fingers cold—
His eyes, in realm of unkindness, raised softer sighs
From the depths of diaries there bloomed few odes—
For rare and reticent male whom the angels adore—
Unnamed here for evermore.

Much I marveled upon his manner of speech,
Every quote he uttered seemed to hush sweet lips.
As waves of perfume, hyacinth, camellia and rose
Spread promises of a night less dour and morose—
Gift me moments true until these eyes have closed—
Sustain fair distance against wily foes.

Once after every fortnight, while I reason, in shades of white,
And piece out woes that seem to derange the heart—
There shone from among the clouds, a hint of a titian moon.
“I knew you’d be here,” I whispered, peering out the window
There is a world out there, “gesturing to my warrior soul—
My story is much too complex to be told.”

Photo credits: Renatures.com

Posted for ‘Sunday Mini-Challenge’ @ Real Toads

and posted on the ‘Poetry Pantry’ @ Poets United

60 thoughts on “The Moon and I

Very mysterious, your story that is ‘much too complex to be told’, particularly when in the company of ‘a hint of a titian moon’ and the ‘rare and reticent male whom the angels adore— / Unnamed here for evermore’. So romantic and intriguing, Sanaa.

This is a brilliant piece, Sanaa. I can relate to conversations with the moon, but more than that you have harnessed the style or tone of some of literature’s best poetic storytellers. A poem like this takes time and effort to write. Your effort has paid off in a signature piece.

Awwww!❤️ Thank you so much, Kerry 😀 I enjoyed writing this poem as there was a titian moon here in K.L last night. So glad you enjoyed it!❤️

I think in conversing with the moon, stars or even the hot headed sun we show ourselves to be far more attached to this world than others. I do it to with the birds and the scurrying ants as well as the whispering trees. So they are getting quite used to me now!

4. Mary says:

Sanaa, the story, the images, and the flow all work so well to make this a beautiful piece of writing. Enjoyed the last line…and thinking about the complexity of all of our stories.

5. Magical Mystical Teacher says:

Woes DO derange the heart, and sometimes (but not always) a titian moon can rearrange the derangement.

6. Paul John Dear says:

A poem penned in the voice of a bygone era that speaks of mystery and mischief perhaps…more to tell that’s for sure. Nice work Sanaa.