The Absence of Chaos

If we must speak, let it not be in vain;
they continue to defile apple-core of centuries old rectitude—
what have we come to?
I run my hand through the tangled mess of hair
on impulse;

every time, I switch on the television, genocide no longer
just a word,
who is responsible and why?

My lips stain
like boysenberry twilight
when I think about the farmer’s protest,
thousands
and thousands
of innocents fighting
for their rights—
thank you cabinet, you push us deep into loam,
sand of bone
and then peer in through the curtained windows
and walk on;

is this what it means to be part of the sub-continent?

I favor the bold,
cultured youth whose hands grip hard on the pen;
they excel in the art of creating a raggedy winter nest
made out of plum twigs—
can you tear your gaze away from the view?
In odd and exposed minutes of a dream there is absence of chaos;
where women folk are free to converse,
waltz after hours,
I confess, my eyes water at the very thought!
Night is a dewberry ripening around a buttery moon;
I yearn for a taste,
I yearn for a taste with no expectation of anything in return.

#farmersprotestindia
#rapeculture

Photo credits: Alexander Zimin, oil on canvass, Pinterest

Lillian hosts OLN at dVerse and refers to  writers as a part of a “Circle of Love.” I couldn’t agree more! Come join us! 💝

Posted for Open Link Night #283 @ dVerse Poets Pub

Comments

1. Lillian says:

“My lips stain like boysenberry twilight
    when I think about the farmer’s protest, thousands”
    Beautiful words.
    This reminds me of….is perhaps in reference to….the thousands of farmers protesting in India.
    A thoughtful reflection here.

Thank you so much, Lillian 🙂 so glad the poem resonated with you 💄❤️

2. Wow, a powerful piece, topical with dash of Sunny. I liked the lines “You push us deep into loam, sand of bone,” and ” Night is a dewberry ripening around a buttery moon.” Kudos for stretching the scope of your poetics recently. I love the romantic side of you, but you, as person and poet, are so much more than that .

Thank you so much, Glenn 😀 so glad you liked it 💄❤️

(You are always so generous with praise) 🙂

There is so much to protest against… I wish we could go out and be happy to support a change for the better… I am glad for where I’m living even if it’s cold at the moment.

1. Sanaa says:

I absolutely agree, Bjorn! There is too much going on in the world and at times feels like complete chaos. Winter here 🙂 enjoying the cold weather and coffee.

4. Susan says:

Beautiful writing, Sanaa. Love the “…lips stain like boysenberry twilight… ” Insightful and powerful writing. Well done!

Thank you so much, Susan 🙂 so glad you enjoyed it 💄❤️

5. Nice work, Sanaa; now I gotta go out & try to find me some dewberries…

Thank you so much, Ron 😀 so good to see you 💄❤️

6. You don’t often write political poems, Sanaa, and I can see that you feel very strongly. I too ‘run my hand through the tangled mess of hair on impulse’ whenever I switch on the television. My favourite lines:
    ‘I favor the bold,
    cultured youth whose hands grip hard on the pen;
    they excel in the art of creating a raggedy winter nest
    made out of plum twigs’
    and
    ‘In odd and exposed minutes of a dream there is absence of chaos;
    where women folk are free to converse,
    waltz after hours,
    I confess, my eyes water at the very thought!’

1. Sanaa says:

Thank you so much, my dearest Kim 😘 so glad the poem resonated with you 💄❤️

7. Ingrid says:

You have blended protest poetry and romantic imagery so skilfully and beautifully here:
    ‘I favor the bold,
    cultured youth whose hands grip hard on the pen’
    – Such a strong image, and the beauty of the ‘boysenberry twilight’ – Wow!

Thank you so much, Ingrid 😀 so glad you enjoyed it 💄❤️

8. Sanaa- those last lines are simply stunning!

Thank you so much, Linda 😀 so good to see you 💄❤️

9. Ken Gierke says:

As current and political as this is, it has the feel of romantic poetry.

Thank you so much, Ken 🙂 so glad you liked it 💄❤️

10. Scott Hastie says:

That indeed is the key to it, dear Sanaa – no expectation of return… Makes the fruit taste even sweeter to the purer and most generous of spirits – some thing we should all aspire too…

Thank you so much, Scott 🙂 so glad the poem resonated with you 💄❤️

11. Mary Hood says:

Amazing! “I yearn for a taste with no expectation of anything in return.”
    Aah, yes! And that is contentment.

Thank you so much, Mary 🙂 so good to see you 💄❤️

12. Georgina says:

Sanaa, this is very dramatic and powerful and I feel it is important in our poetry we rise to the challenges people face such as the farmers ‘ protests in India. You have such a way with words which helps put so many emotions across.

Awww gosh! Thank you so much, Georgina 🙂 so glad you liked it 💄❤️

13. Misky says:

This is a delicious treat to read. How could one not love “lips stain like boysenberry twilight”

Thank you so much, Misky 🙂 so good to see you 💄❤️

14. when I think about the farmer’s protest, thousands
    and thousands
    of innocents fighting for their rights—

Sanaa,

I don’t know much about this, TBH… are the protests still going on? What are they protesting for specifically?

Your poem’s imagery piqued my curiosity 😀

Yours,
    David

1. Sanaa says:

It’s absolutely heartbreaking, David. You might want to read about what’s happening in India.

15. I appreciate how you wove the political and poetic together so beautifully here. It is relatable. I want to be an informed world citizen and at the same time, it can feel overwhelming.

This is my favorite line, “I yearn for a taste with no expectation of anything in return.”

Thank you so much, Alicia 🙂 so glad the poem resonated with you 💄❤️

16. Helen says:

This is exquisite … line after line … I could not choose a favorite.

Thank you so much, Helen 🙂 so good to see you 💄❤️

17. “In odd and exposed minutes of a dream there is absence of chaos;
    where women folk are free to converse,”

Peace in the storm is very difficult at times. Life can be very disturbing an painful. I love this powerful statement in the midst of the chaos.

Thank you so much, Dwight 🙂 so glad you liked it 💄❤️

18. What rich and tasty images, Sanaa. A heartbreakingly lush poem.

Thank you so much, Judy 🙂 so glad the poem spoke to you 💄❤️

19. calmkate says:

you vividly captured the turmoil that rocks India, the current farmers protests and the womens lack of freedom. Your heartfelt passion conveys your grief beyond belief!

Thank you so much, Kate 🙂 so glad the poem resonated with you 💄❤️

20. wonderful imagery! I loved it 🙂

Thank you so much, Mrityunjay 🙂 so good to see you 💄❤️

21. This is so poignant, sad, and beautiful, Sanaa. I particularly love the last stanza. The whole poem though is chock-full of the most gorgeous imagery. As comments above have said, you have managed to write about politics in a romantic poem.

I don’t know as much as I should about the farmers’ protests, but you probably know I’ve done some work on rape culture.

Thank you so much, Merril 🙂 so glad you liked it 💄❤️

22. This line ⏩”In odd and exposed minutes of a dream there is absence of chaos”
    It’s the poet’s duty to dream and “grip hard on the pen”
    Your words always stir the soul and mind!! 🤩

Thank you so much, Tricia 🙂 so glad you enjoyed it 💄❤️

23. There are lines in here that jump out and then when you go back to find them they insinuate themselves into the flow and refuse to be separated.

Thank you so much, Alexandra 🙂 so glad the poem resonated with you 💄❤️