Sweet Empty Sky Of June Without A Stain

Why are salt marshes frequently overflowed?
Why am I drawn toward a moonlit path with intensity?
I wish for tranquility to carry me through time,
wear it as skin and allow June to deflect the bleakness of day.
Why does spring allude to violet obsession?
Why do oyster whispers echo within its own silent exterior?
Nowadays my mood quickly shifts from tired
to mellow,
when at dusk silence follows thalia pink and knock-out orange,
there is something to be said about love
having dipped its toes in bitter blues and vulnerability
I can’t remember what it was like before I met you,
to breathe in spaces
between empty whites and mauve hankering,
why is the tongue fretful?
why isn’t your heart tuned to my softest serenade?
I can no longer make sense of things
nor remember if berries
in blackberry bramble cocktail were macerated by cinnamon.

Photo credits: Loui Jover, Cocktail.

Word List: Salt Marshes, Moonlit Path, Violet Obsession, Thalia Pink, Knock-out orange, Serenade, Blackberry Bramble.

Posted on Artistic interpretations by Margaret @ Real Toads

Also posting on “Open Link Night” @ dVerse Poets Pub

46 thoughts on “Sweet Empty Sky Of June Without A Stain

• Jim says:

I like your colors, Sanaa. I may have a :violet obsession: because those and dandelion’s were the first flowers I knew. After that was “mint” not a flower a couple of years later. Incidentally violets do not grow here along the Gulf Coast of Texas. Probably not enough winter.

1. Truedessa says:

The questions keep the reader wondering why as well? This part sticks out to me the most. Love can lead to feelings of melancholy blues.

there is something to be said about love
    having dipped its toes in bitter blues and vulnerability

Thank you so much, Margaret πŸ˜€ so glad you enjoyed it ❀️

(and thank you for the lovely prompt) 🌹

So many questions, Sanaa, make my head spin with a kaleidoscope of colours. I particularly love the shades and emotions in the lines:
    β€˜there is something to be said about love
    having dipped its toes in bitter blues and vulnerability
    I can’t remember what it was like before I met you,
    to breathe in spaces
    between empty whites and mauve hankering’.

3. Laura Bloomsbury says:

Sumptuous! the questioner is so poetic Sanaa and evidently dreams in colour:
    “Why does spring allude to violet obsession?
    Why do oyster whispers echo within its own silent exterior?”

4. Lori says:

I love the mood that shifts from tired to mellow… just a wish for tranquility and perhaps a berry cocktail. The image and the write are very well paired and highlight each other beautifully.

5. Merril D Smith says:

Such questions from the stirrings of spring (stirred like a cocktail) :)–the spring’s obsession with violets and oyster whisperings, and the colors, and forgetting it all in the mad stirring (again) of love.
    That’s a great painting and title, too. πŸ™‚

6. Mish says:

I like the way you’ve woven the colours of nature into pondering thoughts and the way the poem shifts smoothly into reflections of love.
    This is wonderful…”I wish for tranquility to carry me through time,
    wear it as skin and allow June to deflect the bleakness of day”

there is something to be said about love
    having dipped its toes in bitter blues and vulnerability…

These two lines are just brilliantly placed within the description.