Somewhere along the way

Lust is a chocolate bar made with cocoa powder, coconut oil, honey, and vanilla that melts upon the tongue and deprives one of better sense and judgment.

Sometimes I wonder how morose the lyrics would be if one were to transform this one-sided love story into a song.  You tortured me in the most caring of ways, convinced me of loyalty when in truth everything even remotely related was a lie, a means of duping my fragile heart — in reality you are lipstick smear, a travesty and a stain.

I am done blaming myself, I’d rather live in the present than wallow in waters of the past. You are the chapter I don’t regret writing for it taught me to distinguish and appreciate love for what it truly was.

Between now and then a lot has changed, or should I say matured as I breathe in the mild perfume of March. I am peaceful in my journey toward self-discovery and accomplishment of goals.  It’s close to Spring and yet the weather here is so unbearably cold and raging that the idea of tulip buds blooming is near to impossible.

Years from now I shall look back and laugh, I’d be telling my grandchildren stories of how I met their grandfather. Maturity is accepting the person you once were before running into wisdom somewhere along the way.

Photo credits: Pinterest

Inspired by the poem “Love poem to cover my bases.”

Posted for Pantry of Prose @ Poets United

40 thoughts on “Somewhere along the way

1. Vivian Zems says:

“…for it taught me to distinguish and appreciate love for what it truly was….”- I love this prose with this sort of insight. It ‘s beautifully penned and separates pain from sorrow and regret…and issues in wisdom. Love it.

I really like the shape of this tale. It reads like a marriage between a journal entry and a monologue. She is feeling so much… And although there is pain and regret in her heart, the value of the lesson makes the rest worth her while.

Awww gosh! ❤️ Thank you so much, Magaly 😀 so glad the story resonated with you. She has learned a valuable life lesson ❤️

(and thank you for the lovely prompt) 🌹

This could almost be seen as a letter beginning with…
    Dear John,…

At least the guy will never see his children or grandchildren.

4. Toni Hayes Spencer says:

At least the woman has the good sense to move on, to grow up and smile. A tale she will tell her children and grand children…yes maturity is indeed “accepting the person you once were before running into wisdom somewhere along the way.”

5. Rosemary Nissen-Wade says:

A beautiful piece of poetic prose (but definitely prose). I love it all, and that great concluding sentence deserves to go into general currency, like ‘Life is what happens to you while you’re busy making other plans’ etc. – a fine piece of wisdom in itself.

6. Mary says:

So true – I think we have to accept the person we were as we turn into who we are meant to be. The lesson in this story is a true one. The learning described well. Hard – but worth while in the end.

I like the sadder but wiser tone here. LOL, I can think of a few relationships I was glad to have only because it made me a whole lot smarter about who I am and what I want.

Definitely ❤️ Sometimes in order to truly appreciate the good we need to experience the worst. Thanks for stopping by, Rommy ❤️

8. Susan says:

A wonderful audition piece! I LOVE this expletive: ” in reality you are lipstick smear” hahahaha. Ok, I know the piece is more serious than that. I simply enjoyed the rage more than the wisdom–though both are beautifully expressed.

9. Sherry Blue Sky says:

I love the idea that one day she will be telling her grandkids about how she met their grandfather……and that it wont be the one who taught her what love isn’t. Been there, a time or two.

10. Susie Clevenger says:

Yes, it seems to be a journal, a record where mistakes are given as much attention as success. Even when the choice was wrong / facing it and accepting who you were when it was made shows wisdom, maturity. This is a great story!

11. Carrie V. H. says:

From beginning to end this is delicious, wise, and beautiful. I love the line, “you are the chapter I don’t regret writing” So much wisdom beautifully shared. Love this Sanaa!

12. Chrissa says:

The way you encapsulated the love-that-wasn’t, the equation of the ex with the markers of impermanence and affairs, and then the way you gave the speaker a dignity and hope for joy…this was an enjoyable read.