Soliloquy – Poetry as a Lonely Endeavour

They say once you have perfected the art
of being alone
you are ready for this world,
the weight of misinterpretation is almost enough to topple me,
the current sufficient to take me down far stream.
What use is Poetry?
What’s the function of Poets?
What good does it do nowadays are just few of the absurdities
which I have to deal with on a daily basis.
Listen here
in times of adversity poetry is twilight on fire,
the sand more sepia,
a miracle that arrives when the heart least expects it,
its words are kindness,
a conversation,
a concern and at times a rebellion.
Poetry understands anxieties and ghosts that haunt one’s mind,
head in the clouds,
impractical and incapable of dealing with matters
listen here
Poetry will wield your taunts and brandish its reply like a sword,
the answer to your query is simple
we are warriors of light, of truth, of words and clear manifestation
of spirituality and hope,
our function is to give deeper meaning to the world,
observe
as we create a path between two points, such that runs beneath seas
and mountains.

So, the next time you come across a Poet in the street
take a moment
and see him for what he truly is.

Photo credits: Loui Jover, Sonata

Posted for Poems in April @ Real Toads

Posted on Open Link Night @ dVerse Pub

70 thoughts on “Soliloquy – Poetry as a Lonely Endeavour

Poetry is a lonely endeavour, Sanaa, but we are not alone when we have poetry communities with which to share our thoughts and our work. I love the beauty of the lines:
    β€˜in times of adversity poetry is twilight on fire,
    the sand more sepia,
    a miracle that arrives when the heart least expects it’.

Sanaa, this is an especially nice piece. I like how clean and straightforward it is while expressing a wonderfully idealistic and earnest sentiment.

3. Magyar says:

> the weight of (mis) interpretation <
    __ Embers of that original fire, linger to relight other Ideals; flames.

hidden
    within the words
    ideals of tomorrow
    seen different in other minds
    embers
    _m

4. Thotpurge says:

Agree with Rommy- idealistic indeed. Truth is poetry is still in limited circulation and keeping it honest is all the poet can hope for. It’s wider role in these times remains hopeful but largely untested.

5. HA says:

Ah, I love the somber romanticism of this verse and its flourishing idea as to who a poet is and how to approach poetry in our times. It’s interesting how it resembles Ferlinghetti in its manner of an idealistic journey/responsibility while also remarking on it being a lonely endeavour after all. This voice of individuality and expression is something I really adore in your words.
    This is my favourite bit: “Poetry understands anxieties and ghosts that haunt one’s mind,/head in the clouds,/impractical and incapable of dealing with matters”.

Awwww gosh! ❀️ Thank you so much, Anmol πŸ˜€ so glad you enjoyed it! ❀️

(and thank you for the lovely prompt) 🌹

6. Herotomost says:

This was beautiful girl!!! and so spot on in its conviction of the art that so many see as frivolity and a waste of time. Thank you many times over, this was fantastic!!!

7. Yvonne says:

I love your opening. We can recognize poets on the streets by the keen attention they pay to the smallest detail. The daydreamers amoungst us. Too bad more people don’t read poetry. It would be a better world.

Lots of thought put into your list, Sanaa. Makes a person who writes feel good. My main poetry guide says things are better when people read what you write. Also, Kim above is right (I think) in that we need a community. We do have that of sorts with groups like those hanging out in the Imaginary Garden. Most major cities too have poetry groups, we Have a lot in Houston but I don’t go. My wife calls it a part of blogging and she is a bit jealous of all the time I spend with those “blogs”. I do have other things to do, so do you. They might involve groups where none write poetry.

9. Susie Clevenger says:

This is such a beautiful definition of poetry/poet. I am blessed to be part of a community of poets who inspire, teach, push me to write the noise and beauty out of my head. Love this

10. Linda Kruschke says:

I adore this poem! What a perfect defense to the value of poetry and poets. We and it ought need no defense, and yet the world discounts poetry so, at it’s peril I fear.

My favorite part (which I hesitate to state as a favorite lest the rest be considered unworthy, which it most certainly is not) is this:

Poetry will wield your taunts and brandish its reply like a sword,
    the answer to your query is simple
    we are warriors of light, of truth, of words and clear manifestation
    of spirituality and hope,
    our function is to give deeper meaning to the world

11. Glenn Buttkus says:

Damn, lady, you decapitated malaise with this one. It is a Poet’s Manifesto, for sure. I love the portrayal of poets as /Warriors of Light/. That ranks right up there with Kerouac’s /outlaw of the sensorium/. You make us all polish our pride in fellowship buttons.

12. Jade Li says:

P.S. I love the comments it brought as well. When others read our poems, the circuit is completed. Loops of light, truth, and the rest. Again thank you for creating this poem.

13. Dr. Crystal Grimes says:

Well done, so beautiful and true. My favorite lines:
    we are warriors of light, of truth, of words and clear manifestation of spirituality and hope,
    our function is to give deeper meaning to the world,

14. Merril D Smith says:

I like that you say it is something that comes from the heart:
    “in times of adversity poetry is twilight on fire,
    the sand more sepia,
    a miracle that arrives when the heart least expects it,”
    But then you also write of how poetry can be a sword of truth.
    It’s something done by a person alone (most often), but something that can be shared.

15. Truedessa says:

I think poets understand and see the world through different eyes. I don’t always think the masses understand our thoughts and poems, but we venture on warriors of words.

we are warriors of light, of truth, of words and clear manifestation
    of spirituality and hope,

16. Dwight L. Roth says:

Beautiful! I have heard it said that poets take what others have not thought of and makes them want to experience it… I liked these lines:
    we are warriors of light, of truth, of words and clear manifestation
    of spirituality and hope,
    our function is to give deeper meaning to the world,

17. A Reading Writer says:

THIS MOVED ME TO TEARS, LIKE DARN. DARN IT. THIS THIS THIS!!!!

in times of adversity poetry is twilight on fire,
    the sand more sepia,
    a miracle that arrives when the heart least expects it,
    its words are kindness,
    a conversation,
    a concern and at times a rebellion.
    Poetry understands anxieties and ghosts that haunt one’s mind,
    head in the clouds,
    impractical and incapable of dealing with matters

18. Mish says:

OH my, Sanaa! You have so poetically described poetry for what is truly is…..the truth, sometimes too awkward, painful or impossible to express any other way. This poem is like a gift to all of us who struggle to make others understand….that blank stare as they do not compute the words we so carefully weave. Thank you for this!

19. robtkistner says:

This is beautiful, insightful, and very powerful Sanaa – superb writing! I love your perspectives regarding what poetry is. This has stirred one of my pet peaves – poets criticizing other poets. I mean really? When a person extends their heart and soul to express something driven by their mindful self, and you decide you don’t like it – keep it to yourself… UNLESS the poet specifically asks you for your opinion. If they do, explain your point of view mindfully. I have been on sites where poets est other poets alive. Never have understood it. OK, β€˜nuff of my preaching. i love this poem Sanaa – well done! πŸ™‚