Prologue – Tis With Unsweetened Mist That I Rise

At long last I have risen,
my breath an amalgamation of autumn breeze and vengeance,
gone are the days
when innocence wept in chaos and bedlam
I let my eyes rest for a moment,
it gives life to damp grass, rough and unruly
like uncombed hair
my heart fluttering between shades of gold
and black
in twilight,
the urge to carry on is the first sign that strength grows
in spine-breaking moments
when failure seems to caress everything and seems inevitable,
I am Ophelia
daughter of Polonius and symbol
of fidelity
that once torn between love and duty had gone mad,
now I am roses
riotously blooming, I couldn’t care less
about men

and manipulation let alone drown in a river of blood
and distress.

Photo credits: Pinterest

For Anmol’s prompt, “Myths & Legends.” 🙂

Posted for Poetics @ dVerse Poets pub

And on Tuesday platform @ Real Toads

& on Monday Writes @ My Blog- Verses

verses

36 thoughts on “Prologue – Tis With Unsweetened Mist That I Rise

I do love an Ophelia who doesn’t do what’s expected, let her rule the rotten kingdom of Denmark instead.

2. HA says:

More power to Ophelia! This is so good — a modern feminist rendering of Ophelia rising through all the rot and ugliness. “breath an amalgamation of autumn breeze and vengeance”, “now I am roses
    riotously blooming, I couldn’t care less about men/and manipulation”: Yes, yes! I love it.
    A wonderful write, Sanaa! 🙂

Awww gosh! ❤️ Thank you so much, Anmol 😀 so glad you enjoyed it! ❤️

(and thank you for the lovely prompt) 🌹

Ophelia has a powerfully modern attitude in this poem, Sanaa! I love the ‘breath an amalgamation of autumn breeze and vengeance’, blowing strong and defiant, and, especially, the lines:
    ‘now I am roses
    riotously blooming, I couldn’t care less
    about men
    and manipulation let alone drown in a river of blood
    and distress.’

4. the real cie says:

Beautifully done!
    As someone who used to care far too much about the opinions and affections of men, I feel that Ophelia is correct in not caring less about men and manipulation.

People sometimes forget that roses come with thorns, but it seems like Ophelia is finally remembering hers and how to use them. Good on her!

What a wonderful evocation of Ophelia. I love her self-affirming tone of voice!

the urge to carry on is the first sign that strength grows
    in spine-breaking moments

Nicely written, Sanaa. Ophelia had it rough both ways. I too would be rid of men had I lived. She was way, way ahead of her time.