Prologue – Being A Woman In Times Like These

Among small wet pebbles that outline the fury of sun,
there lie fragments of one thousand and one sea glass
their once glossy surface flat and dark with some having tell-tale
signs of blood,
I unsheathe myself and embrace vulnerability,
as eyes, filled with shadows, thumb through me like a manuscript
my heart
a broken paragraph where despotism is tried and embedded
into the skin,
a series of violet tears spread
promising that a day will come when we will cross the bridge,
fall hard or breathe harder
it’s so simple when you put it like that,
unaware that silence is all that’s left in the end, we cannot unlearn
the fresh taste of trepidation

nor forget words that were whispered into the ear,
but rise
get up from lying because a bridge is unbiased,
it has no preference whatsoever
you have created this burning need for insurgence to prevail
in society,
touching me is the wind as feeling sets fire into my throat
you took me unwillingly
now watch as the sky rewrites our tale and hits just the right note of equity.

Β

Photo credits: Henry Asencio, 1972

Also written for Sherry’s prompt where she invites us to contemplate “The Handmaid’s Tale.” πŸ™‚

Posted for “Midweek Motif- Bridge” @ Poets United

& posted for “Wordy Thursday With Wild Woman” @ Real Toads

Also sharing on the Open Link Night @ dVerse Poets Pub

64 thoughts on “Prologue – Being A Woman In Times Like These

How beautiful equity sounds but with so many cheats and robbers in the world it is so difficult to achieve. Humankind learns nothing from other living creatures and so we become feared and an abomination. We use mirrors but can’t see ourselves. How well your piece stirred my brain Sanaa , I wish there were more poets and less insurgents!

2. Sumana Roy says:

“….a bridge is unbiased, / it has no preference whatsoever”…This is some unpalatable truth for many. Love the lines where the speaker embraces vulnerability and the happenings thereafter. And what to speak of your beautiful voice Sanaa! So sweet.

Awww gosh! ❀️ Thank you so much, Sumana πŸ˜€ so glad you enjoyed it! ❀️

(and thank you for the lovely prompt) 🌹

3. Lori says:

This grabbed me “we cannot unlearn / the fresh taste of trepidation” the nervousness and the fear but those steps need to be taken in order to get anywhere. Wonderful write.

Thank you so much, Sherry πŸ˜€ so glad you liked it ❀️

(and thank you for such a thoughtful prompt) 🌹

• Sherry Blue sky says:

Back to read again from Toads. I too used to promise myself a day would come when i would cross the bridge and be free. I resonate with the trepidation and the whispers, and being taken unwillingly. Then, finally, and even better than equity – freedom!

4. marja says:

Wow “now watch as the sky rewrites our tale and hits just the right note of equity”
    “a broken paragraph where despotism is tried and embedded into the skin”
    and so many other beautiful images and great message Absolutely love your poem

5. Khaya Ronkainen says:

Oh, being a woman in times like these, indeed! A wonderful, wonderful write and READING!!! There is a certain kind of magic found in a poem read aloud. Thank you dear Sanaa for the gift of words. Love this!

There’s so much power in this gently dignified piece. The subject doesn’t deny or minimize the hurts, but calmly walks towards a better future they know must exist. The strength in this piece is all the more powerful because of the softness in some of the imagery. Really good stuff Sanaa.

unaware that silence is all that’s left in the end, we cannot unlearn
    the fresh taste of trepidation
    nor forget words that were whispered into the ear,
    but rise

I am so very touched by your words, Sanaa.

“fall hard or breathe harder” That line tells so many stories, especially when considering the lines that follow. It is easy to say ‘do this or fall’ almost implying that a person who can’t accomplish something hasn’t tried hard enough. But these situations are so complex that most judgement can’t apply.

9. Susan says:

“I unsheathe myself and embrace vulnerability,
    as eyes, filled with shadows, thumb through me like a manuscript”

Just the prologue, just the way “the other” tries to–and has succeeded in the past–to define women. I find this poem to be powerfully positive as we move forward so the sky can rewrite our tale!

10. Glenn Buttkus says:

So much to grasp in this one, as allegory, condemning assault, as a cry for release, as a roar from all women in these time. To walk over the bridge (from what to what, from where to where?) to be free, puts me in mind of Zorba ” We all need a little madness, in order to cut the rope and be free.”

11. Jade Li says:

Magnificent poetry, Sanaa, so rich with imagery. These lines, “but rise
    get up from lying because a bridge is unbiased,
    it has no preference whatsoever” jump out at me. I also love hearing you read your poem, to hear it the way you intended it to be heard.

12. Scott hastie says:

Very strong Sanaa. As others may well have said, your last three lines especially are absolutely awesome and conjured straight from the soul. A treat, as always…

13. Jane Dougherty says:

Another bridge. Today was the day for bridge prompts.
    ‘eyes…thumb through me like a manuscript’ β€”great image!

14. Dwigth L. Roth says:

touching me is the wind as feeling sets fire into my throat
    you took me unwillingly
    now watch as the sky rewrites our tale and hits just the right note of equity.

Your ending is perfect!

15. Laura Bloomsbury says:

Your one line descriptions are like a paint box – so much to like here and you manage it right from the start
    “Among small wet pebbles that outline the fury of sun,
    there lie fragments of one thousand and one sea glass”

How strongly you wrote this Sanaa. Womens fight for equal rights will sadly be fought over for many years yet . Even in countries like Australia one of the most just and fairest in the world you can still see, hear and read the view of weak men who by their ranting show their fear.

Awwww gosh! ❀️ Thank you so much, Robin πŸ˜€ so glad the poem resonated with you! ❀️