Painting the lily black

Haunted by a deepening gloom the heart aches,
Brooding the birth and death of an austere sun.
And of earth’s perpetual truth that yearly wakes.

Painting the lily black I stare into adulterate eyes,
Mourn as all around the foliage withers and dies.
Bearing weight of disdain, unremembered skies.

Then hate me, as sprawling roots below the dirt
For I am the emptiness that resides in your cup.
Tell me can you sense the pain beyond the hurt?

Painting the lily black, with thoughts of the past
I chased solace, raged and cried out to the night
Wonder, who gives answers to questions asked?

Overhead, the moon rose upon nebulous lakes
Haunted by a deepening gloom the heart aches.

Photo credits: HD Wallpapers

Form: Terza Rima Sonnet

Posted for ‘Sunday Mini-Challenge’ @ Real Toads

and posted on the Poetry Pantry @ Poets United

& Posted on Monday Writes @ My Blog – Verses

verses

56 thoughts on “Painting the lily black

1. Magyar says:

__ Truth; we all have our desire to float above any darkness, that we may invent. “Sunny,” deeply seen and well felt in your sonnet! _m

blackness blooms
    within the third rhyme
    lighter ink

2. wildchild47 says:

Great and almost right on point to the form! How brave and ambitious of you Sanaa – but more to the point – wow! This IS really wonderful. The content – the subject/topic you’ve chosen works so well within the form, and yet, even without the form – this reads so beautifully. It’s elegant and graceful – and speaks with emotion. And those closing lines are just sumptuous! Wow – this is impressive. 🙂

I agree with Bjorn about the mood, Sanaa, and love the ‘oo’ sounds in the opening lines..But my favourite lines have to be:
    ‘Painting the lily black I stare into adulterate eyes,
    Mourn as all around the foliage withers and dies’.

Your writing here Sanaa is suitably emotional for the affair that has been going on, where knowing that wrongs have been done committed there are still the defiant words “Hate me” probably knowing that they would do it again. On the other hand I may be reading too much into it but tried to put myself in the picture! Well knowing my writing you will guess that I loved it!

5. Mary says:

Where do I start? This is one of your best– “emptiness that resides in your cup” — whew. So many amazing phrases in this amazing poem!

6. Brendan says:

To paint a lily black would be criminal were it not also so lavishly true, in the eye of the heart. Well crafted, Sanaa, and the closing couplet is die for, which the afflicted speaker does.

“And of earth’s perpetual truth that yearly wakes”

In such a haunting poem the above line is a pearl

Thanks for dropping by my blog today Sanaa

Much💚love

8. Debi says:

“For I am the emptiness that resides in your cup.
    Tell me can you sense the pain beyond the hurt?”
    There is pain beyond the first felt hurt. You have really captured it.

9. Wendy Bourke says:

As awesome job with this challenging form.

‘Painting the lily black, with thoughts of the past
    I chased solace, raged and cried out to the night’

Incredible words … indelible lines

10. Margaret says:

I can’t help but think of the flip side – when love was a white lily and the sun and his eyes were a joy… the pain is palpable here … everything a heartbreak poem should be!

Emotions control in times of sadness. I’m glad your writer has poetry to allow her to blow off some steam. She must be close to nature, know the lilies. I believe she is blackened with them, poor soul.
    This was easy reading but hard to take. I wanted to reach out with some help.

‘Painting the lily black I stare into adulterate eyes,
    Mourn as all around the foliage withers and dies’.
    These are my favourite lines for although passion has thrown the persona in the depths of this affair there is the humanity of knowing pain not only of the players but those caught on the side lines.
    This is a really cleverly crafted poem. Thank you for sharing at Monday WRites today Sanaa.

much love…