Over the river and through the woods, we tread knowing well what’s ahead of us

Breathless,
I watch as frost grows over the windows,
the cold air allows me
to discern
the thoughts forming slowly in my mind,
and fire
which despite freezing temperature continues
to fill my chest.

Can I embrace you, to wake me from oblivion?
Brush upon your lips lightly,
offer a kiss,
and rage against the hypocrisy of adult world?
They say
there is something better waiting down the road,
but how can we fashion what’s to come
when the bondage of past continues to plague us?
The world before us is shrouded in smoke,
and we as a nation are fed sweet milk
in the form of media–
what disconcerted times are we living in?

Sheathe me in your ardor,
as I offer you the soft wisps of black hair around my nape
touch me darkly, decadently
as the wind does to a rosebud–
I sense the desire burning inside you through the sigh
that escapes your lips,
and if by tonight, I forget my name, remind me
for in the end it’s youth which needs to take up the torch
of perspective and change–
I breathe deeply, as eyelids open to affirmation in the line
of your mouth.

Photo credits: Pinterest

Posted on ‘Anmol’s Challenge’ @ Real Toads

& Posted on ‘Open Link Night’ @ dVerse Pub

& Posted on Poetry Pantry @ Poets United

56 thoughts on “Over the river and through the woods, we tread knowing well what’s ahead of us

They say
    there is something better waiting down the road,
    but how can we fashion what’s to come
    when the bondage of past continues to plague us?

I like the way you have included this, ‘They say’ statement which provides a different perspective on individual experience. Your poem is so well-written. I can relate to the mood.

The title intrigued me, Sanaa. I like the contrast of the frost growing over the windows and fire-filled chest, and then the dramatic, passionate leap to embrace and kiss, to the dark, decadent touch, burning desire and sigh.

3. Herotomost says:

This is a social comment extraordinaire, touching all corners . It is up to the youth to dust them, rebuild, re think those corners for they are the pillars that allow change. Beautiful and idealistic… I love it!!!

I always thought that the young were not concerned about the bondage of the past; that was the beauty of being young, experimenting with life until work and love brought you to your senses. However the sensuousness of the last verse blew me away it is marvellous. Your readers will always be mesmerised with your writing Sanaa.

5. Vivian Zems says:

There is a sense of darkness to light in your poem. What resonated with me the most was the idea of the bondage of the past continuing to plague us. Will it ever stop? An insightful write.

6. lillian says:

Ah you do know how to pen a sensuous verse!
    But these lines are the ones that strike me the most today….
    “The world before us is shrouded in smoke,
    and we as a nation are fed sweet milk
    in the form of media–
    what disconcerted times are we living in?”

This layered poem is great with the lovemaking being a repose against the terror of past and the news. Make me think of the poems by Carilda_Oliver_Labra who wrote some amazing poem filled with the tension of the missile crisis in Cuba and love.

8. Revived Writer says:

This is fantastic, as usual, Sanaa! My favorite part is “touch me darkly, decadently / as the wind does to a rosebud–” By the way, I love your titles; they could be poems just by themselves!

9. Jade Li says:

Interesting combination of eroticism with politics. I love the line with the rose petal. I’m wondering this poem came before your husband’s back going out πŸ˜‰

It’s love that makes us want to fight on for a better world, as well as offers us a balm when we think we can’t possible go on.

11. Sherry Blue Sky says:

I love the touching as the wind does to a rosebud. With the mess the world is in, I can well imagine young people want to escape into romance and pretend for a little while that the world has not gone mad. Sigh.

12. Chrissa says:

The contrasts in this are amazing. The shift between pleasure and decay, the offer and rescinding of ease…it’s like passing a fire and remembering the chill afterward.