Outside The Sky’s Etched In Wild Colours

Like the color yellow
indulge in the soft rays of twilight,
embrace healing,
breathe in the honey scent of double-early tulips,
sit back and relax
cradle a coffee mug,
return to the glossy pages of a magazine
we have managed to reach the end of April
and the mind
as we know it is completely saturated,
rewind, reboot, recharge
savour the taste of brown butter pecan bourbon ice-cream,
the melody
of a Poet’s muse is similar to an Artist’s brush stroke,
to the flickering fate of fireflies,
inhale every detail of your surroundings, the atmosphere
and before you know it,
a poem will emerge sweet as consummating souls
kissing passionately,
I have learned with time that in order to write on diligently,
one must learn to remove all trace of doubt,
trust their instinct and simply let go.

Photo credits: Ben Kolde, Unsplash

Posted for Poems in April @ Real Toads

28 thoughts on “Outside The Sky’s Etched In Wild Colours

This is a poem bursting with savouring moments, Sanaa! You’ve captured the essence of yellow in your opening lines, in the soft rays and honey scent and, although it’s early morning, I’m longing for a taste of brown butter pecan bourbon ice-cream! I especially love the comparison of poetic melody to an artist’s brush stroke and the lines:
    ‘…before you know it,
    a poem will emerge sweet as consummating souls
    kissing passionately’.

2. the real cie says:

I have never been able to erase all trace of doubt, but I vomit out words on pretty much a daily basis. I don’t think anyone will ever read them.
    I like yellow. It’s one of those colors I’m not “supposed” to wear. I do sometimes anyway.

And sometimes those instincts are so revealing. I often censor mine. Actually I also let my imagination soar. I write a line or two in my poem right then and there, later moving these lines to draft poem start that I might use later. Today it was “I wanna be …”
    If what you read of mine is questionable as to pertaining to me or someone else check my labels for “Fi ction”.

4. HA says:

This is indeed so beautiful, Sanaa! You provide us with the much needed words for relaxing and taking it as it comes.

Arz kiya hai,
    “muntazir hain dam-e-rukhsat ki ye mar jaaye to jaayein
    phir ye ehsaan ki hum chodd ke jaate bhi nahin”

Waah waah! To that I would have to say,

“ho chuka qata taalluq toh jafaen kyun hon,
      jin ko matlab nahin rehta wo satate bhi nahin.”

Thank you so much, Anmol 😀 so glad you liked it ❤️

5. Sara McNulty says:

While it is difficult to erase all traces of doubt, it is a worthwhile goal. Only then are you really free to write. This is beautiful, Sanaa. Now, where’s my ice cream??