On the gateway of the temple

Here I stand
unsure of what lies ahead

the wind
lets me savor the moment, for it comes to me
wild and impetuous

as the desert is punctuated by long
and shadowy silhouettes of rose, tumbleweed and cactus.

The human heart is a temple
where bluish thoughts swirl with monochrome pulse waves
hear its affirmation,
its faith as real as water, as sand and as stars in the sky,
yet I dare not move
I don’t even breathe, I am frozen to the spot
my heartbeat echoes in my ears,
a grave reminder of my own impermanence

my madeira mortality,
because like you
I too am skeptical of its ideas, its jarring philosophy
and belligerent attitude.

Still, the heart is gospel
if the pressures of life are gaining upon you
come, enter
and roam the corridors of the sacred temple.
Believe that a soulful person is not overly influenced
by external factors
and no matter how implacable the norms and values
of culture
builds his own way for personal growth and progression.

Photo credits: The Temple by Tomasz Zaczeniuk

Posted for Art Collaboration @ Real Toads

40 thoughts on “On the gateway of the temple

The human heart is a temple… This is a very evocative metaphor, Sanaa. You developed the idea beautifully throughout the poem.
    if the pressures of life are gaining upon you
    come, enter
    and roam the corridors of the sacred temple…

This is very sound advice. Thank you for participating in the collaboration and also sharing on Instagram.

Awww gosh! ❤️ Thank you so much, Kerry 😍 so glad you liked it! ❤️

(and thank you for the lovely prompt) 🌹

I love what you saw in the picture… a sacred gateway to a temple… I saw a crumbling library, you saw the hope and hesitation we face when being led to take the next step into the unknown.

A fun read going through here, Sanaa. It made me wonder if John Lennon had thoughts like this. I have lately read his “Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds.”

4. kaykuala h says:

and no matter how implacable the norms and values
    of culture builds his own way for personal growth and progression.

How very true! Sanaa! For once triggered off it finds its way on its own strength. That’s the beauty of habits and talents working together

Hank

Trusting the heart’s gospel over the expectations and rules one has grown up with demands a leap of faith. Here’s hoping that the faithful will have their courage rewarded.

6. Timoteo says:

You caught me off guard with “madeira mortality”–I’ve decided that’s what delights me about reading good poetry…it’s the unexpected word, phrase or line that separates greatness from mediocrity. Reading your work is always a great pleasure, Sanaa!

7. HA says:

This ode to self-realization and personal development is very thoughtful and humanistic in its tone and evoked imagery — the temple as a symbol works wonderfully. I love your poetic voice more than anything here, which is both assertive and empathetic. 🙂

“the heart is gospel”

How I love this words. I can’t say that the phrase have even occurred to me before. But they bring so many images in to being–the thought of love is religion that happens in the body, for instance. I really like that.

Beautiful imagery, Sanaa, especially in the lines:
    ‘…the desert is punctuated by long
    and shadowy silhouettes of rose, tumbleweed and cactus’
    and I love the metaphor ‘The human heart is a temple’.