On a cold winter morning

I embrace the morning
drinking in the emptiness, a handful of broken hope.
It fades away like the mist this feeling of regret, this
bearing of a burden long clenched into a fist. What
part of me understood the suffering I knew not,
perhaps nature wears the colour of one’s raging soul—

The dying blossoms whisper,
waiting in a life filled with stories for death to come
and though every soul must taste as layers of illusion
slowly burn away, I can’t help but wish that it didn’t
have to be this way—

In sombre company of clouds,
I never take myself too seriously, always believing in
the bright side of things, in the aching corners of my
foolish heart I knew that the most dangerous soul is
one who greets adversity with a smile—

All this I feel and more but you
need not hear what goes on inside this Poet’s head,
drinking in the emptiness, a handful of broken hope
I embrace the morning.

Photo credits: Jolygram

Kerry invites us to write a poem as one-sided conversation. Come join us!

Posted on Kerry’s Challenge @ Real Toads

Posted on “Poetry Pantry” @ Poets United

58 thoughts on “On a cold winter morning

The dying blossoms whisper,
    waiting in a life filled with stories for death to come

These lines grabbed my attention as absolutely profound. We are fortunate when such thoughts become poetry.

I love the way you have started and ended the poem with the phrase ‘I embrace the morning’, Sanaa. I also like the lines:
    ‘drinking in the emptiness, a handful of broken hope’;.
    and
    ‘All this I feel and more but you
    need not hear what goes on inside this Poet’s head’.

The emotions seem to float along like a line of clouds on a chilly winter morning. It’s interesting, all those conflicting thoughts rolling in an out. But in the end we decide which ones will set the tone for how we face our day.

4. Mary says:

I like the idea of not taking oneself too seriously but looking on the bright side. We have to do this often times, I think. I like the ending – embracing the morning – important for us to do EACH day!

5. Neeraj Khanka says:

“What part of me understood the suffering I knew not,
    perhaps nature wears the colour of one’s raging soul”

Something inside us always know what is hurting us – awaiting the acknowledgement.

A beautiful write Sanaa ! and Yes, we must embrace each new day with hope and continue to put our efforts.

6. totomai says:

Ah, winter blues. I like the quiet observations you have listed here. And yes, it’s fun not to take ourselves seriously especially during winter – or times when we feel everything stops

How well you write about life and its meaning Sanaa, echoing no doubt many readers feelings too. I am sure many of us would like to chat with you to talk about everything under the sun. ..including me!

8. dsnake1 says:

beautiful work, Sanaa. most lines can stand alone as a memorable quote.
    i am still thinking about whether “the most dangerous soul is one who greets adversity with a smile”. 🙂

9. Myrna says:

I like how your poem opens the door to emotions. It’s good to accept our raw feelings then temper them with our reason. I love the images you describe and frankly, i love this poem.