On a cold day in January

I have thought a lot about ache
of being served acai bowl
with palm fruit
as though I have been left with no choice,
what if my soul desires acrid
or is accustomed to gravel in voice?

What if I desire percussion
that breaks through windows of suffering
of city dust,
I hear you pass with recalcitrant feet
tell me
is it obvious
(since I am staring in your direction)
love is a malady, a rising
a lump in the throat that we all crave.

I took a blood carnation
all the while kneeling at my bedside
and scribbled:
“Would that this velvet affair
begin
with my heart thundering down
from heights,
the fire, the heat of my poems
reach
similar to one high on wine and bread,
today
and tomorrow
there is nothing more
that this Poet in me could ever want.”

Photo credits: Pinterest

Word List: ache, gravel, percussion, city, carnation, bedside, heat, bread, poems.

Posted on Get Listed January Edition @ Real Toads

Also posted on the poetry pantry @ Poets United

64 thoughts on “On a cold day in January

A heart wants what it wants what it wants… And in few people are these things as strongly felt as in the heart of an artist. I really like how you say it in the words that close the poem, but love how you makes us feeling from beginning to end.

Awww gosh! ❤️ Thank you so much, Magaly 😀 so glad the poem resonated with you! ❤️

(oh yes that stubborn heart .. sigh 😉 )

2. Pat says:

The lines ” I took a blood carnation
    all the while kneeling at my bedside
    and scribbled:”

really just clinched this for me – I was enraptured by the force of the image, and enraptured by how the magic was woven from beginning to end – this is a fresh perspective in your poetic endeavours Sanaa – it’s bright, solemn, light and a pleasure to read – the words you’ve so deftly woven blend seamlessly and just add the grace of power to the sentiments it expresses.

wonderful inspiration!

Going back many years I seem to remember love filled me up in all my senses. Even though those days are gone (for me) your writing echoed those years of youth when nothing was impossible. Lets hope that velvet affair makes its way to your door.

I love the clever play on ache, acai and acrid in the first stanza, Sanaa, and the image of the blood carnation in the third. The lines that appeal to me the most are:
    ‘the fire, the heat of my poems
    reach
    similar to one high on wine
    and bread,
    today
    and tomorrow
    there is nothing more
    that this Poet in me could ever want’.

What if I desire percussion
    that breaks through windows of suffering
    of city dust,

I love the way you worked with the words, especially in the above lines.

6. Mary says:

I like the way your poem seemed to go full circle. Beginning with a food image and ending with a food image. (Myself – I wouldn’t mind the acai bowl,, I don’t think. Are palm fruit unpleasant? But then the bread and wine at the end – symbolic of communion? If so, very sharp image. Again, a thought provoker!

7. Susan says:

ache–percussion–blood–the signs or bi-products of affection are here opened up like a garden of ruses. What more could a poet want, indeed, than to know the whole world in all its foibles? Thank you.

As poets, we forever are searching for that perfect way to express what we are feeling, but when it comes to expressing those thoughts that are the tenderest, it becomes more than a simple exercise in writing. It is a transcription of a heart beat onto paper.

9. Myrna says:

This is beautiful Sanaa. I love the yearning of an artist. The poet in you grows more and more wise and sensitive with each poem. That velvet affaire grows within you.

Luv the intimation of surfeit in bread and wine. This carries many layers of meaning in wholesomeness.
    Happy New Year. Thanks for dropping by my sumie Sunday

Much🎉love

11. Chrissa says:

A visceral poem–from the shattered windows to the wine and bread providing an exquisite lift, this was a beautiful poem!

12. Wendy Bourke says:

You have commenced the new year with, yet another, stunning piece of awesome writing, Sanaa.

‘a lump in the throat that we all crave’ … a fabulous bang-on-wish-I’d-written-that line. Who – on planet earth – could not TOTALLY GET those happy-sad-truth-of-it-all words?