Of a world behind the mirror

There is no mirror to state the condition of mind
here in this purgatory of sorts,
as darkly I trace the wounds of flesh
inflicted,
part sin and part virtue
as drops of rose fragrance unto me cling.

The moon drips silver
gliding from the once abundant sky
I suppose even she gets tired eternally surrounded
by courtier clouds
what a brutal irony it is that we get to choose the way we perceive
but not feel,
my lips as ever blood red from exhaustion.

At the sound of a horn the gates open themselves
I lie in wait
for amnesty or damnation to claim me
as life in its monochrome musing flashes
before my eyes.
I have loved you as honey knowing not drops lingered
elsewhere too,
let us now settle the score for angels have reckoned that hour
is nearing its close.

Photo credits: Pinterest

Posted for Wild Friday #2 @ Poets United

24 thoughts on “Of a world behind the mirror

1. Shawna says:

This is so good, Sanaa.

I love:

“what a brutal irony it is that we get to choose the way we perceive
    but not feel”

“I lie in wait
    for amnesty or damnation”

“I have loved you as honey”

2. Lori says:

“what a brutal irony it is that we get to choose the way we perceive / but not feel” You have captured something absolutely essential in those lines I think. Perceptions are something of the mind, but feelings are of the heart.

How expressive your poetry is Sanaa and the imagery is so profound. My favorite line is I notice above identical as Vivian’s comment! Sadly we often find that our love wavers which enriches us but saddens those we love too.

Damn feelings that stick around far longer than they have a right too, especially for one who’s honey “lingered elsewhere too”. All the logic and reasoning in the world can do what time can., but hopefully time will release the protagonist from purgatory soon.

5. Ella Wilson says:

So, much emotion woven with the delicate and the be damned! Wow…some intense Aries moon energy lingers in your words! Bravo…so, well done!

I am better, thanks for your lovely energy and kind thoughts~ I get sinus allergies when the cotton blooms and my migraine was so, bad I thought I had the flu.

I think I will try your challenge tonight and link it to the poetry pantry. I will mention you and your prompt. Bravo, I can smell the rose perfume…and feel those thorns..ouch!

6. Sara McNulty says:

Love this poem, Sanaa. This little gem caught my eye: “I have loved you as honey knowing not drops lingered
    elsewhere too…”