October when poets dream, lament and sing

Give me discomfort
as heather passing from bloom
discloses
to softened mud and appealing sun.
Give me lifelong woe for loving someone
who like autumn wanders abroad
negligent of years
and time that has passed.

I cannot forget roseate blush,
nor let go of memories sweet
and trials thrawn.
Can you feel the weight of centuries
shouldered upon flailing arms?
Can you feel wisps of desire
tearing apart from gossamer clouds?

I am twilight awaiting stars
of stormy blue and brooding night,
whatever happens
this heart of mine will live on
to endure the rough caress of life;
like a kiss stolen
from a slumbering rosebud.

My scars are invisible
as emotions
unable to pinpoint cause of trouble,
as tears
tossed around by blustery wind,
as though unwilling to lose control
over a strong,
composed
and imperishable mind.

Photo credits: Taras Loboda, Lady in red, 1961

Posted on Beautiful Freaks Fest 2 @Mg’s Blog Party

Also Posted on “the Poetry Pantry” @ Poets United

60 thoughts on “October when poets dream, lament and sing

There is something haunting about the thought of a “twilight awaiting stars”… It leaves me thinking that twilight is almost always before or after the stars are their brightest. So the waiting might never be completely fulfilling, the twilight is always wanting, always almost… That can certainly create all sorts of wee scars.

Thanks so much for joining the BFF2, Sanaa. And for being the first!

2. Marcoantonio Arellano says:

this is dauntingly haunting and lovely at the same time. the gathering of your words here are mystical and magical. this piece speaks to the spirit of the true nature of the founding of ‘los dias de los muertos’, in the country of my birth! Gracias for sharing!

3. HA says:

There are multitudes of emotions and feelings here, made all the more tactile in your imagery and lament — the scars and the resilience tell a powerful story.
    I especially liked this bit: “this heart of mine will live on/to endure the rough caress of life;/like a kiss stolen/from a slumbering rosebud.”

4. Sharon Rawson says:

So beautifully sad! Your words made me realize how often I am feeling melancholy or wounded with no clear direction to pinpoint the cause. Thank you for your words.

5. Susan says:

There is something romantic, gothic even, about lingering suffering made so beautiful and somehow needed. The aura is inviting.

“like a kiss stolen
    from a slumbering rosebud”
    Absolutely, twilight can be thst sneaky.
    Thanks for dropping by my sumi-e Su day today Sanaa

Much❤love

7. Chrissa says:

Ooooo, this was vivid and tactile in all the best ways. Love the image and the way you create an entire world within it.

What a wonderful poem of love, life and pain. How the reader is grasped, sucked in almost, to the narrators world, possibly because he/she has been to those places as well.

9. Cressida says:

Never heard or seen ‘thrawn”…great word…Now I’m wondering which other words you have hidden up your sleeve:) Give thanks for the strong imperishable mind. You cannot purchase one. It matters the most.

Definitely 🙂 thanks for stopping by, Cressida ❤️

PS: ‘Thrawn’ means perverse, unpleasant, sullen. It’s actually an adjective of a Scottish origin 🙂

10. Carrie Van Horn says:

This is stunning Sanaa! I especially love the line, “Can you feel the weight of centuries shouldered upon flailing arms?” What an amazing line!! Love does bring scars in it’s beauty doesn’t it?

11. Danae Wulfe says:

Lovely, haunting imagery. An “imperishable mind” is a beautiful thing to have. Thank you for sharing yours. ❤️