October: In accord with Autumn in bronze and song in heart

Tonight, the soul is dark and the moon’s awash
with tears
as though aware of what’s stirring inside,
I am shades of sepia intermingled with blithesome and serious.
Fleeting is lust and yet
we continue to chase the desires of flesh,
where do you go to when ocean foam refuses to touch your feet?
When grass seems indifferent?
Where do you go to when droplets are unable to echo your ache?
I see you with your smiles
oblivious to the shredding of coconut husk covering of my heart,
to the quivering of my lips
as I look you in the eye and put on a straight face.
It’s deeper than you think, this abyss of emotion that accompanies
after heartache,
where will you go to when words come out of hiding?
where will you go to when October comes searching for answers?
I am sorry what was it that you said, love?
You’re no longer present in memory but my thoughts distract you.

Photo credits: Mira Nedyalkova, dark underwater

Posted for Sanaa’s Challenge @ Real Toads

Posted on the Poetry Pantry @ Poets United

56 thoughts on “October: In accord with Autumn in bronze and song in heart

β€˜Autumn in bronze’ is the perfect phrase for October, Sanaa, and I like your choice of song! It reminds me of my mother, it was one of her favourites. I love the lines:
    β€˜I am shades of sepia intermingled with blithesome and serious’
    and
    β€˜oblivious to the shredding of coconut husk covering of my heart’.
    One small thing, the correct English is ‘to be awash with…’

2. Timoteo says:

There is a sensual quality to much of your poetry that is unabashedly on display in this one, and always highly anticipated by those, such as myself, who dwell under a smoldering sign of fire. πŸ™‚

3. Mary says:

Yes – where will someone go when words come out of hiding! That is a big big question. The last line is interesting, and I am trying tithing about what it might mean, id the two of you are still in touch or not. Definitely an evocative poem.

4. Sara McNulty says:

β€œwhere do you go to when ocean foam refuses to touch your feet?”

That, to me, is a heartbreaker. Gorgeous poem, Sanaa.

“where do you go to when ocean foam refuses to touch your feet?
    When grass seems indifferent?”

These lines broke my heart into tiny little pieces (in the best of ways). Where do you go, indeed, when the world stops working as it should?

6. Chrissa says:

Love the way you seem to characterize the speaker almost as a street gone dark, only memories talking to each other in darkened alcoves. This catches at the October sadness, the darkness coming closer.