October, as leaves fall patiently

It’s a wonderful thought to be had
probably because I said something infantile,
as we wallow in each other
and the coziness of cloudy October days,
while breaking through the ingrained pattern of generations
and deciding what is best for us.

Could it be that this idea of healing is a seed
that has been planted within us?
The kind that takes a long time to gestate
when we seek to challenge the uselessness of systems
and return as chrysanthemums
to the fundamental questions that define our being
in this world–
some won’t understand the metamorphosis
that takes place in us,
as we reason with sensibility, make peace with the past
and the present.

I kiss my way through pain and confusion,
longing for simplicity in times of sophistication–
deep into your waters
there exists a voice that beckons to the rebel inside of me.
I embrace darkened innocence
ignoring the cries of bygone summers that state otherwise,
time has added more dimensions to my being,
taught me
to cherish joy when it’s found.

Caressed by the sun I stare into the end of beginning,
whenever
I am doubtful of the raindrops in my life
and though vulnerability is my strongest pursuit in writing
at times the sky opens up and swallows me whole.
I am the gospel of Autumn as I search for truth that’s present
in the universe
as I feel uncertainty and learn to experience without dread,
it’s all right to let go.

Photo credits: Pinterest

Posted for ‘Kerry’s Challenge’ @ Real Toads

& Posted on ‘Poetry Pantry’ @ Poets United

38 thoughts on “October, as leaves fall patiently

I always love to read your poetry on your blog, on a wide screen rather than on my phone. Your lines are so richly developed, they need to fill the whole page. I love your transitional, seasonal poems – this is imbued with a wonderful mix of sensory images.

“I am the gospel of Autumn as I search for truth…”

Are we not all searching for the truth in the post-truth era?

2. Sherry Blue Sky says:

I love “Time has added more dimensions to my being.” Each generation has to make its own choices, forge its own path. I think leaves teach us a lot about letting go. Sometimes, if we stop trying to steer and swirl in the current of today, it takes us gently right where we are meant to be. Smiles.

3. HA says:

Your tender words and sensitive images are becoming of your honesty and truth here, Sanaa. It is such an evocative verse about metamorphosis, its needs, its natural workings, its reach and its impact.
    This is so well said:
    “time has added more dimensions to my being,
    taught me
    to cherish joy when it’s found.”

As usual I think you come up with the perfect conclusion… in your search… sometimes .. it’s better to let go.

Apologies for the somewhat late comment, Sanaa, but better late than never! I love the idea of healing as a seed that has been planted within us, and that we might return as chrysanthemums, and of kiss one’s way through pain and confusion.

6. Rosemary Nissen-Wade says:

Yes to both cherishing joy when it’s found and letting go when it’s time. I like the growth in wisdom evident here. And I love ‘the idea of healing’ as a seed ‘planted within us’ and taking ‘a long time to gestate’.

“Could it be that this idea of healing is a seed
    that has been planted within us?”

Yes! Yes, it could. And I think that it certainly is. A seed, which only our will and want and blood can grow.

Love the imagery planted in those lines.

8. Susan says:

To let go without dread–in a safe place for sure! This tender poem raises such important questions, all along showing the narrator has the wisdom to seek the answers–with kisses, too. I love this:
    “. . . when we seek to challenge the uselessness of systems
    and return as chrysanthemums . . . “

9. Barry says:

I probably sound like a broken record, but each time I read your work I am blown away by the clarity and strength in your voice. Each time I leave thinking that was the best I’ve ever read from you, and then I return to have you blow my doors off all over again.

This is exceptional writing, and I feel as if I’m learning about you all over again.

I like how this piece speaks to me of growth, and how it is possible to look on memories fondly while still realizing it’s best that it’s all in the past now.