Nothing is quite as rare as a Thursday evening in June

One glossy stretch of bougainvillea pink perched, stately, atop
the balustrade
so beautiful in its glory that I silently wept,
I wish to instill twilight song in the passageway of your mind
where sorrow lives,
offer the reflection of cloud in a mid-June lake
in disbelief I observed the wind which seems to want nothing more
than to wipe your tears,
I wish to become lost in low hum of traffic, in surrounding trees
and gusting chorus.

Towering between your brooding silence and my attempt at conversation
is the sky,
as thunder echoes across the urban landscape
love, I am unafraid though scent of bougainvillea would be washed away
I’d rather focus upon the darkest flecks of your eyes
in them I witness the mountains where time comes to a halt,
where nature needs not apology and memory’s free from clamor of sin
I could drink in their hue all night and day.

Do branches express their joy through violent rustling?
Is desire akin to fragrance of coppice and berry trees wafting in the wind?
One step into the dappled sunshine,
and you will know just how important it is to think with your heart sometimes
I am struck again and again by euphoria of children
tugging upon their mother’s sleeve,
for purpose of harvesting tomatoes and dark-sweet cherries,
perhaps
it was destiny that led me to indulge in mirth and laughter.

I wish to instill hope in the passageway of your mind
where sorrow lives,
offer the world in exchange for dimples in your chin,
it’s true that two people close to each other don’t always share
the same perspective,

you are coconut white whereas I am ebony black
I wish to embrace deserted streets, empty foyer and words faded into wilting
yesterday
(though I admit I had yet a lot to say)
One glossy stretch of bougainvillea pink perched, stately, atop
the balustrade
so beautiful in its glory that I silently wept.

Photo credits: Kazuo Kasai, Watercolor Painting, Pinterest

Posted for ‘Kerry’s Challenge’ @ Real Toads

Posted on the Poetry Pantry @ Poets United

52 thoughts on “Nothing is quite as rare as a Thursday evening in June

1. Lori says:

It is important to think with your heart. Absolutely love that line and the book ending of the write. Like walking down a street and each time struck by the beauty of flowers.

There is so much to love about this poem, Sanaa. And it seems to give me more each time i read it. I especially like the way you promise the reader solace in the first stanza and share the beauty of the blooming tree.
    it’s true that two people close to each other don’t always share
    the same perspective
    You have revealed your own unique perspective.

Awww gosh! ❀️ Thank you so much, Kerry 😍 so glad you enjoyed it! ❀️

(and thank you for the lovely prompt) 🌹

We in the States have a saying that opposites attract. This certainly is occurring in your nice poem. There has to be a compromise for a relationship like to make good, it seems that only your writer is ready to do that. Oh yes, the word, “balustrade”, is new to me although now when I understand what one is I am seeing them often.

4. Margaret Bednar says:

“Is desire akin to fragrance of coppice and berry trees wafting in the wind?”… YES! πŸ™‚ that photo is sublime. And I will come back and listen to the poem – it’s late at night and my husband is sleeping πŸ™‚

5. Mary says:

I like the idea of installing hope where sorrow lives. I liked the scene you painted and can picture two people in a close relationship walking through your words.

It is hard to watch someone you care about go through a dark patch. One of the best gifts we can give them is to be fully present with them while they are in the thick of it, just so they know they aren’t alone in their pain.

7. Sara McNulty says:

What a stunning poem, Sanaa. Hope taking the place of sorrow is a wonderful thought. Two people can have such different perspectives. I love this poem!

8. Marian says:

This is so lovely and reassuring, Sanaa. I know this place: “Towering between your brooding silence and my attempt at conversation is the sky”

I love the solace you find in the flowers… there is a lesson for all to treasure the nature also in midcity humming

10. Chrissa says:

This is beautiful. You’ve created a singular garden and an architecture out of the silences in a relationship and I am amazed and in awe.

11. Wendy Bourke says:

Lovely!

“One glossy stretch of bougainvillea pink perched, stately, atop
    the balustrade
    so beautiful in its glory that I silently wept,”

What a beautiful line to enfold this evocative, wonderfully imaged piece.

12. Priya Bhaskar says:

‘Towering between your brooding silence and my attempt at conversation is the sky,’ this is soo beautiful, Sanaa! πŸ’™

13. dsnake1 says:

when bougainvillea blooms it is like a shower of pink and purple.
    your poem is so beautiful. the words make me think of all the bougainvillea i see along our roads and streets and bridges. hardy, yet colourful.
    thank you for the poem. πŸ™‚