Love poem to cover my bases

Like a cigarette raised to eloquent lips,
desire
consumes one like the ocean
stretching itself until it’s only an inch away from toes.
In my mind
there is a constant echo
of the time I first saw you, the way our eyes met
across the hallway.
Tell me, is it just me
or was there something about the way wind blew
that made me want to reach out
since feeling was fresh with bloom–

I walk towards you in a velvet blue dress,
with the reminder of an errand stirring inside my breast.
It felt natural,
it felt like morning falling into easy rhythm
I am gloriously ignorant of years that are waiting to unravel themselves.
What was it about you
that drew me like moth to a flame?
I wonder up to this very day
as the sun turns a shade darker,
of berry, blush
and a thousand lifelong promises
crushed.

I refuse to dwell in the past,
to be honest I am bored with the idea of you,
it leaves me yearning
like a note slipped deep inside the pocket
like a secret
I am tired of longing for deep conversation, of silken skin to peruse
and embrace
in truth you are travesty, a lipstick smear
and a stain
I am dangerously close to changing my perspective.
Desire
is knowing I can’t have you.

Photo credits: Pinterest

Posted for the Tuesday Platform @ Real Toads

Posted on Open Link Night @ dVerse Poets Pub

72 thoughts on “Love poem to cover my bases

1. HA says:

Ah, I love this gentle unraveling of desire and its many components — the memories, the evoked emotions, the unsustainable feelings, the shifts in perspective, all capturing so well this yearning of the heart. This sentence stands out for me:
    “I am dangerously close to changing my perspective. ”
    And this one is so sure of how it feels at the very beginning:
    “I walk towards you in a velvet blue dress,
    with the reminder of an errand stirring inside my breast.”

2. Timoteo says:

WOW! I love the way the attitude shifts in the middle, and lines like “years that are waiting to unravel themselves” …you have given me goosebumps again, Sanaa!

The life cycle of a flawed relationship. Desire for the person shifts to desire for anything but the long ache accompanying the relationship’s death throes.

I really love this poem Saana… it really made me see desire in new light, the way you tied it together…. but I wonder can we ever get rid of desire like this.?

5. Herotomost says:

Wow, polemic, honest and sincere in a way that very few can capture . The lure, the entwining of hearts and the sad stretch or reality, you made this look easy. You are a star! Loved it!

6. Rall says:

Desire is knowing I can’t have you
    and when attained
    loses its appeal
    almost immediately

Love is just a conquest exercise for some…. for those who cannot abide the idea of not having everything they want.
    Enjoyed this poem.

That longing to have something which is just out of reach,: I remember it well. It is a great education to a youngster to realize that not all things are possible.

8. Glenn Buttkus says:

Perhaps most of us have\ participated in this scenario. Over a lifetime, lost loves litter the horizon like faded street signs. A terrific, sensual and personal poem thrice read and enjoyed.

Wow, Sanaa! These are stunning lines:
    ‘desire
    consumes one like the ocean
    stretching itself until it’s only an inch away from toes’
    and
    ‘as the sun turns a shade darker,
    of berry, blush
    and a thousand lifelong promises
    crushed’.
    And then the unravelling…

10. Grace says:

The contradiction can be perplexing but I think this is all superficial, not really deeply rooted.

I like this ending: Desire
    is knowing I can’t have you.

11. Priya Bhaskar says:

Wow, Sanaa! I love how the mood and perception shifts theoughout the poem:
    ‘I am gloriously ignorant of years that are waiting to unravel themselves’
    and
    ‘in truth you are travesty, a lipstick smear
    and a stain..’
    Hot damn! 💙

12. Arcadia Maria says:

“I refuse to dwell in the past,
    to be honest I am bored with the idea of you,
    it leaves me yearning
    like a note slipped deep inside the pocket ”
    YES! Great poem. Thanks for sharing.

13. Dwight L. Roth says:

Your wonderful memories crushed and left to the past … it always hurts! You wove the story so well, I was expecting happily ever after and was sad with you when that did not happen! Someone once told me, “Life happens when we have other plans!”
    Well done!

14. robtkistner says:

I really like this piece Sanaa, reflecting back on past encounters. Interesting that you and I both touched on memories of past desires, but me nostalgically, and you with apparent regret. You expressed your reflection very well! Also, excellent pic!

15. Georgina says:

Builds up so seductively with all the desire of first love, passion and then leaves it all smouldering and then wow, changes to ashes! Beautifully written Sanaa.

16. Lona Gynt says:

This is alive and beautiful, a lot of comments about watching out for those desires and how they are superficial etc., but I find the exposition of those desires here beautiful and alive, and to be treasured and remembered and treasured even if kept deep within a pocket. The shifts occur with such rhythm and fluidity that time in this poem seems to not so much be an arrow, but the thing itself still wrapped up altogether all together.

I especially love

“ I wonder up to this very day
    as the sun turns a shade darker,
    of berry, blush
    and a thousand lifelong promises
    crushed. “

Lines which cast the certainty of the last stanza into wondering. Time is a tricky puzzle, love and silent pockets more so. Lovely Sanaa! 💜