Letter composed on the corner of 26th Street

I have seen white blossoms
fall into the lake
regardless of political storm
that surrounds it,
witnessed men build dreams
conscious
of suspicion that destroys it.
This is not anywhere else
but here
in our heart that we find conviction,
I won’t tell you
because
you already know how to do it.

And when the night darkens,
both moon and lovers go silent
knowing
that art of pleasing won’t always solve
everything,
I won’t disclose
sheets soiled with regret
a water jug,
a magazine
and roses
stripped of colour
in a hotel room
where opinions are muffled under covers.

This, I am writing to a friend
who on several occasions is caught by surprise,
we can not go back and start
from the beginning,

nor can we hope to undo grief
and change the person we were yesterday,
I won’t tell you how to feel
offer age old cures that only half believe
I won’t tell you
how to let go of buried thoughts
because
even the wind echoes what foolish sing
I won’t tell you how to go on
because
you are already doing a beautiful job of it.

Photo credits: Pinterest

Posted for Midweek Motif @ Poets United

& on the tuesday platform @ Real Toads

50 thoughts on “Letter composed on the corner of 26th Street

1. Susan says:

WOW! SUCH LOVE! Remembering that the white blossoms fall anyway, hearing this voice.of memory and faith, is beautiful.. And I thank you for you comment on my poem♥️

2. Thotpurge says:

both moon and lovers go silent
    knowing
    that art of pleasing won’t always solve
    everything… very beautiful Sanaa… a great write!

What a most brilliant poem! An instant favourite for me, Sanaa. I love the voice of the poem, not to mention your phrasing and line breaks, which hold the reader in suspense until the end. The opening lines are stellar. What a hook!

A stunning poem, Sanaa! I love the way you set the scene with white blossoms falling into a lake and the direct address in ‘I won’t tell you because you already know how to do it’ – as if you are writing the letter to me. I especially love the way you capture a whole story in the lines:
    ‘I won’t disclose sheets soiled with regret
    a water jug,
    a magazine
    and roses stripped of colour
    in a hotel room
    where opinions are muffled under covers’.

There is a clear-eyed honesty to this, that seems to make the hopeful sentiments feel more possible, instead of just being wishful thinking.

A nice message of love, what can do and what can’t do to make things better again. Not exactly Humpty Dumpty but not Utopia either. NOW, … through this I got side tracked here, “white blossoms fall into the lake regardless of political storm that surrounds it.” I was playing golf with the guys one day and my ball landed in the little lake. But it was sitting on top of a lily pad just as big as day. Calm, cool, and the works, oblivious of all the competition around it.

7. Timoteo says:

I love how the personal plays against the backdrop of what might be considered larger events…but what is truly larger than that which is in our hearts ? Who is that exquisite painting by?

8. HA says:

Oh, how I love this poem — your voice is tender, careful, empathetic, wise, and self-aware all at once. From the beautiful beginning to the last ‘individualized’ stanza, the images you carve and the emotions you evoke here made me feel them all.
    I love this bit: “And when the night darkens, /both moon and lovers go silent/knowing/that art of pleasing won’t always solve /everything”.
    Thanks for linking in this wonderful verse, Sanaa!