Last Night I Wandered Through The Hills Of Dreaming

The hills that lie congenial by day like confidants of land
are darkly ominous by night,
here in a world where there is nothing but chaos
they say I looked back out of impetuosity,
in search of an untouched canvass upon which to leave a mark,
I am struck by beauty that’s unapologetically herself
the flirty fuchsia of roses that define life in endless lines of thoughts
and expression which my poems only tease.
Why does darkness approach from outside?
Why is the colour grey doused in both despair and light?
If I can spot a serpent glide out from a maculate shade, can I convince him
not to become
the devil’s advocate?
Let us go to the other side now that you know my face by heart
and indulgence as adversary at the crack of dawn.

Photo credits: Eli Edward Evangelidis, @eliedwardart

Posted for Art Collaboration @ Real Toads

32 thoughts on “Last Night I Wandered Through The Hills Of Dreaming

This is such a strong dreamscape…so wild in colors and vivid with the night. Sometimes it’s better to sleep I think

That’s a clever juxtaposition of congenial and ominous, which conveys the imbalance of the image, Sanaa. I particularly like the alliterative phrase ‘flirty fuchsia of roses’ and the question ‘Why is the colour grey doused in both despair and light?’

Nice questions asked, Sanaa. These are tough ones, I could only guess. Your line, “If I can spot a serpent glide out from a maculate shade, can I convince him not to become the devil’s advocate …,” punctuated with a Question Mark, deserves my attempt to answer. “The only bargain with the Devil and his Advocates is found I literature, i.e. it cannot be done.”

4. Brendan says:

Good questions for a poet. Wallace Stevens said poetry was ” silence made dirtier.” And do we really have the heart and heat the deep darkness of beauty?

5. m says:

“Why does darkness approach from outside?” This line/question gave me pause. I suspect that I will think about it for quite some time, wondering if the answer is that because the inside is full of light… or, if it’s because darkness is everywhere (in dreams and waking time).

Wow! Sanaa, this is a tremendous poem! Each thought is so clearly conveyed in word and image. I was mesmerized by the visions they induced.

Awww gosh! ❀️ Thank you so much, Kerry 😍 so glad you enjoyed it! ❀️

(and thank you for the lovely prompt) 🌹