Into my hands the luscious clusters of meaning reach

When I breathe my last let it be known that words were my calling,
sweet some days as plum
to carry within as orchard away from chaos and din of city
and tart at others like grapefruit
to help cope with the stress and strain of everyday living,
for the longest time I was unsure how to translate emotion
into writing
to change the perspective of those around me who knew not stifled
apart from breathing.

A few leaves of Summer remain to be revered, to be appreciated
as the year turns its head,
how easily you disregard passion, turn a deaf ear with coldness
toward what your mind cannot comprehend
if you peel me you will find poetry
pink as an August sky that has upheld its promise
I am psalm sung late at night
when clouds lift their glory onto the eyes that wake.

Keeping a day ahead as responsibilities rise between minutes
and hours
I cannot duplicate feeling, a moment in time long before the muse
has entered
my words are healing in the swirling black abyss of despair
strength-syllabled
I long to touch hearts that have turned to stone
how easily you avert your gaze under pretense in the blaze of sun.

Tell me your deepest fears,
come share your woes and dreams
some of us read, some of us garden and some of us sew
what’s common is each of us relish in our doing
I paint my images like fried egg upon a canvass careful not to let it smudge
around the edges-
how easily you ridicule what you term as old fashioned,
has the moon ever lost its charm or become dim in the darkness?
My poems are warmth on winter mornings,
a friend to those who think themselves alone in this world.
When I breathe my last let it be known that words were my calling.

Photo credits: Elena Katsyura Teacup and Grapefruit slices, Pinterest

Posted for Midweek Motif @ Poets United

28 thoughts on “Into my hands the luscious clusters of meaning reach

1. Thotpurge says:

for the longest time I was unsure how to translate emotion
    into writing…. I think that is a hurdle every writer faces and sometimes learns how to overcome.. mostly we just go around the hurdle and pretend the truth has leapt over it, unscathed.

How beautiful words are now, for we can play with them and they with us as we craft them like a potter to fashion our poetry. I really enjoyed this poem Sanaa.

I have the goofiest of smiles on my face right now, the sort of smile that describe happiness that goes all the way into the bone, the kind that says, “I see your heart, friend, and have been made more by all I see there.”

You’ve gifted us with such powerful images, Sanaa. The line where the speaker says that if someone peels her they will find poetry, makes me wish that I could paint (to make visual art of the poetry in the muscle and bone and heart and soul). And the last stanza is a delight to read. I love what it says about what we love, about what feeds us, about the why behind the art.

Thank you so much for sharing your not-so-old-fashioned “Hobbies” with us.

Beautiful words about my favourite occupation, Sanaa. You’ve expressed the love of poetry with stunning imagery. I love words ‘sweet some days as plum’ and ‘tart at others like grapefruit’ – it’s hard to believe that you were ever
    unsure how to translate emotion into writing! I think most of us feel this way about it:
    ‘if you peel me you will find poetry
    pink as an August sky that has upheld its promise
    and
    ‘…words are healing in the swirling black abyss of despair
    strength-syllabled
    I long to touch hearts that have turned to stone’.

5. Susan says:

I love the grapefruit opposing the plum! And pink poetry under the peel …so many fine images in this wonderful hobby of words.

6. Marcoantonio Arellano says:

you have left me breathless with this moment of leisure and pleasure. i’m am ‘enamorado’ with your muse. you make me wish that I was present in your space at the moment of this creative portrait of words. maybe, jus maybe I would have absorbed and would have been assimilated into this blissful moment. Gracias!

The thing that utterly charms me is the combination of sweetness and defiance. No excuses are made for loving the things that bring joy. And none will ever be given, because the subject is just that enamored of her world of words to give too much time to those who just don’t get it.