If I should sleep (with death)

Photo credits: Pinterest

Literary device: Annotations

Posted for Literary excursions @ Real Toads

For my last prompt ‘Light is easy to love – show me your darkness’
tomorrow at 8:00 am EDT.

& Posted on poems written on Prompt Nights

30 thoughts on “If I should sleep (with death)

1. Kerry O'Connor says:

Oh, this is SO cool, Sanaa. I love the way you have highlighted specific phrases and provided annotations in boxes.. And the poem itself conveys a strong message of regeneration, while the side notes add to the overall impact.

Such a satisfying reading experience.

I like the highlighting, Sanaa, and the boxes with clear annotation – how did you do that and not lose the formatting? I love the progression of the poem, which is itself sad and lovely.

Thank you so much, Kim 😀 so glad you liked it ❤️ I did it on Microsoft word document and then used snipping tool 🙂

A very nice poem, Sanaa. I sometimes feel this way, I joke about counting down now instead of up.
    If, .. a BIG IF, I write for this my plan also uses a box or two, with notes. Sort of like our blog’s side bar. If been very busy and MUST write a blog post for tomorrow on my other blog.
    We will see.
    Again, this is soon nice and the annotations help to give depth, like a third or fourth dimension undrrstanding here.
    Thank you again.

4. Sreeja Harikrishnan says:

A very beautiful and meaningful poem…so much in there….I think you have done the annotation part so beautifully! I remember how some of our very fine teachers did that (started loving poems because of them).

5. Ellecee says:

How I love the last two lines, so much tenderness. I am impressed and moved by the whole poem. I’m sure most of us have moments we would like to return to and correct. The form is very well done as well
    How sad I am that this is the end of Prompt Nights. I will miss it even though I missed some.

Love how you have worked with highlighting, and that you have connected them to those boxes. A very nice way of adding depth to the poem.

How strange that we all might ponder on what others think of us when we are gone. But we aren’t are we for we live on not only in memories but in our chidren and descendants who take a little piece of us with them. The darkness of death for us may well be the light in the lives of others as they think of us. What a fascinating poem you have written here Sanaa.

It’s wonderful to see how you read your own poetry. Like Kerry said, reading your observations makes your poem go deeper.

I love the tone of the poem–dark and melancholic, but still hopeful.