Fragments of one thousand and one nights

Memories
tend to last a lifetime
and are as overwhelming as sea
as the sepia sun filters through holly leaves
I remember what you said to me
wading in hushed water
when I’m gone
don’t you cry
beneath the cobalt sky
I remember how you looked at me
as beautiful mind that’s fresh, dear and untainted
as clouds echo movements of the waves
here in a world that seems
in between
dark and light
as we walked along sea
I buried thoughts that stormed within me
and tuned out conscience that slowly tugged upon sleeve
Softly glimmered the pale evening sun
as ardor held its tongue
reminisce
when alone
delicately pen down
odes fragrant as plumeria’s breath
how I wish I could persuade hours to turn their hands
Memories tend to last a lifetime
even with petals dried
as shadow
and a sigh
perhaps silent sea smiles
and with tumultuous cadence gifts
wisdom to those who ardently crash and burn
I’ll remember what you said to me
as moonbeams caress sea
Memories

Photo credits: Unsplash

Form: Triquain Crown

Posted for ‘Weekend Mini-Challenge’ @ Real Toads

and Posted on the ‘poetry pantry’ @ Poets United

60 thoughts on “Fragments of one thousand and one nights

To spend time by the seashore like that is excellent… I think the sea can hold your secrets and keep them as memories.

2. HA says:

OOH, I can see the exchange of that memory, relinquished to the sea, for it holds and returns the same in all its exquisite brilliance – there are some wonderful images in here like the clouds echoing the waves and all that crashing and burning. Also, the form reminds me of the gentle lapping of sea waves.

3. Anna :o] says:

I love your words Sanaa, your memories of love by the wonder of that that is the sea.
    “how I wish I could persuade hours to turn their hands” – I know this and often wish it too. If only…
    Anna :o]

I knew I could rely on you to bring romance to the seaside, Sanaa! I agree with Rosemary about the beautiful expression and the form suggesting waves. I love the memories as overwhelming as the sea and the lines:
    ‘… clouds echo movements of the waves
    here in a world that seems
    in between
    dark and light’;
    ‘I buried thoughts that stormed within me
    and tuned out conscience that slowly tugged upon sleeve’.;
    and
    ‘even with petals dried
    as shadow
    and a sigh
    perhaps silent sea smiles
    and with tumultuous cadence gifts
    wisdom to those who ardently crash and burn’.

5. Mary says:

So many beautiful memories carried within. Memories for a lifetime to remember when one wants to. Your poem was nicely penned, reminiscing!

6. Magical Mystical Teacher says:

Burying stormy thoughts is a challenge that few of us are up to, and yet it seems to be the only way that we will find peace in this troubled world.

“I buried thoughts that stormed within me
    and tuned out conscience that slowly tugged upon sleeve
    Softly glimmered the pale evening sun
    as ardor held its tongue”
    Yes indeed sometimes the real conversation happens inside our heads and the tangible serves only to backdrop
    A lovely contemplative write Sanaa

Happy you dropped by my Sunday Standard today Sanaa

much love…

“how I wish I could persuade hours to turn their hands” I love everything about this line. The longing can’t be ignored, it makes me want to hug the speaker, to feed her my energy… until she can find a way to get what she wants so much.

Just wonderful, Sanaa.

9. Revived Writer says:

I like the form you chose. The way that the lines lengthen and shorten reminds me of the ocean waves going in and out, and I like the “odes fragrant as plumeria’s breath.”

10. Chrissa says:

The image of the shell caught me, almost as if it was listening to the poem below, echoing like its own voice. It gave me shivers. πŸ™‚

11. Helen says:

I love this! Realized when I took the longest four lines, put them together, another exquisite poem was formed.

12. Daniella Moyles says:

“Memories tend to last a lifetime even with petals dried
    as shadow and a sigh”… this is so poignant! I love how each stanza ebbs and flows like waves of the ocean 😊

13. Rebecca says:

There is such palpable sense of longing and restraint in the folds of this lovely Triquain! I m still thinking about ‘Softly glimmered the pale evening sun as ardor held its tongue.’ Beautiful! πŸ’™

What a delight the sea is for us to talk to and which not only waves back but whispers to us as it splashes over our feet and wraps us up in its arms. How easily the reader of your poetry slips into the scene and becomes a silent witness to every beautiful word.

15. Susan says:

Oh!
    “Softly glimmered the pale evening sun
    as ardor held its tongue
    reminisce
    when alone
    delicately pen down
    odes fragrant as plumeria’s breath . . . ”
    Yes. And then the wishes come …. Lovely.

16. dsnake1 says:

this must be a difficult form to write. it’s beautiful, and i like how the poem started and ends with the same word.
    don’t you cry
    beneath the cobalt sky”
    – such a vivid image. πŸ™‚

Yes it was extremely challenging but also delightful as it allowed me to pour my emotions on the page ❀️

Thank you so much, Lee San πŸ˜€ so glad you liked it ❀️