For purposes of restoring a weather-beaten heart

There is no prerogative in the realm of human affairs
nor breath of air that isn’t tinged with sadness,
a faultless poem if such were ever to be composed
would speak of love as heaven sent
and the moon as epitome of understanding in a plum delia sky,
why is the rosella its own worst enemy?
Why does recognition only appear around stretch of dawning?
At this time of the year I would usually break down
as dust settles upon relics of a bygone age
but there’s something about the way your words touched me
as honeysuckles bloom into summer crossings,
I am thinking of you
of what it would be like hearing you read my work out loud
as hours lead us slowly away from June.

Photo credits: Tarot Cards by Nicoletta Ceccoli, “The Shell Deck” @ellasedge

Posted on Guest Appearance: Ella Wilson @ Real Toads

Also sharing with “the Poetry Pantry” @ Poets United

54 thoughts on “For purposes of restoring a weather-beaten heart

1. Linda Lee Lyberg says:

Sanaa- How lovely this is! These are my favorite lines:

but there’s something about the way your words touched me
    as honeysuckles bloom into summer crossings,
    I am thinking of you
    of what it would be like hearing you read my work out loud
    as hours lead us slowly away from June.

2. Ella Wilson says:

So, beautiful! Summer’s crossing, so much romance in your interpretation~ It is swoon worthy and delicate! I, too would love to hear you read your poem!! Your poem touched me with its inner clock of judgment! Thank you~

Awww gosh! ❤️ Thank you so much, Ella 😀 so glad you enjoyed it! ❤️

(and thank you for the lovely prompt) 🌹

3. Ella Wilson says:

Summer crossing is so, romantic. There is an inner judgment as you alter the sad with the joy-the tenderness propels me to want to imagine you reading this poem! You have touched me~ Your poem has the touch of inner judgment as we weave our way through your fertile mind! Thank you! This poem is a sentimental journey~

Thank you so much, Susie 😀 so glad you liked it ❤️

(I have included a reading of the poem just now!) 🌹

4. Marian says:

This is a wonderful poem and I loved hearing you read it out loud!!!! What a treat, Sanaa!
    I’m listening to our voice while drinking my coffee this morning. Now what could be better, as hours slowly lead us away from June? 🙂

How absolutely wonderful to hear you reading your work out loud, Sanaa. Such a beautiful melodic tone, which adds such depth to this thoughtful poem.

6. Mary says:

What a beautiful poem! I like the idea of someone reading the poem moving away from June.. Really creates a strong feeling for me as you express this, Sanaa!

7. robtkistner says:

This was wonderful Sanaa! Captivating! I especially love how you ended,
    “I am thinking of you
    of what it would be like hearing you read my work out loud
    as hours lead us slowly away from June.”
    Beautiful! I also really enjoyed hearing you read your poem. I don’t know how to use that Sound Cloud app?

Listening to you read the words as I read them on my screen is a wee miracle. I almost quoted the last few lines, and said, “Yes!” but others have quoted already. Just know that I love a poem that, in a way, shows what it says… and tells it, too.

There is so much joy to be found in words that are felt and read aloud.

9. kaykuala h says:

I am thinking of you
    of what it would be like hearing you….

How one anticipates of hearing the loved one coming on in sweet circumstances while the days creep in fast towards year’s end. Yes, Sanaa it’s coming on too fast to Dec

Hank

Let me add myself to the people who especially adore those last lines. I like the hopeful feel of them, even though the subject is well aware that sadness is a reality they have to contend with. And you did a terrific job on the reading!

11. Chrissa says:

This is just enchanting, from the moon in that purple sky, to the perusal of older objects, to the words floating in the last lines. Just lovely.

12. Susan says:

If June gets you down, just wait awhile as it passes. But suddenly there is a new voice keeping the speaker company, and anything is possible.

13. Wendy Bourke says:

Love it! And, once again, an authentic, inspired (and wonderfully unexpected ) close (which you have such a talent for) … almost as if, you complete the piece with an echo of yearning.

14. the real cie says:

Beautiful, melancholy, poignant.
    There is a very old song (as in several centuries old) with the line “all our joys are but toys, idle thoughts deceiving. None hath power o’er an hour of the life’s bereaving.”
    Your words remind me of that song and the truth of that lyric.

Ot must be a lovely thing to hear a favourite poet read aloud. I luv the longing for lovely things in this poem: moonlight, romance, sweet words, compamionship…
    Thanks for dropping by my sumie Sunday

Much❤🕊❤love