Epistle To My Present Self

Lily of the Incas with kisses begins to glow,
as change
brings blues and golds about,
the sky bearing witness to words that form
on paper.

I find myself curling into a ball
as though yesterday attempting to draw emotions out
the sweet with bitter,
the tame with wild;
I am the wind spiraling in every possible direction.

I want to let go of consternation
as lips
pave the way for questions to engage in,
they visit like the outline of the moon in the froth of cold
moving forth but bashful,
how is it that every time I extend my hand
it flutters
like a chortle sounding from the corridors
of a distant dream?

Years of closed eyelids picturing the perfect pitch,
the world
as we know it is comprised of shadows and lies
and the soul being possessed centers upon
what shines the most–
perhaps maturity means being sensitive to a situation
to how we react,
my mind shivering at the thought as leaves fall
in its wake.

You will find me obedient
as a flame at the end of a lipstick stained cigarette,
let October be as unspoken letters

38 thoughts on “Epistle To My Present Self

1. marja says:

let October be as unspoken letters
    let me tune in to the song of the seas,
    as I give in to transformation
    something bluer
    than twilight and impossible to resist.
    wow wow so beautiful. Your whole poem felt like gently moving on an undulating sea

2. anjum wasim dar says:

Dear Sanaa beautiful poetic expressions. ‘Like a flame at the end of a lipstick stained cigarette’
    loved the poem but specially loved this line and the stark imagery reflected. Thanks for sharing your excellent work.

Beautiful imagery captures the wariness that comes when we’re standing on the edge of a big change. Our minds can picture all sorts of outcomes, but in the end we need to find the way to flow through it all.

4. Mary says:

You really have some wonderful phrasings in this poem! I would have to quote several lines, but I will just say I enjoyed this very much. Thinking about October as a time of ‘transformation’ resonates and rings very true.

A lovely epistle to your present self, Sanaa! I love the colours, the ‘sky bearing witness to words that form on paper’, and the lips paving the way for questions to engage in. My favourite lines:
    ‘it flutters
    like a chortle sounding from the corridors
    of a distant dream?’

6. H. Hennenburg says:

“a chortle sounding from the corridors of a distant dream” – how very taunting. And “I am the wind spiraling in every possible direction.” Sanaa, you are so good at characterizing in words feelings and experiences that then become incredibly real and palpable for your reader. Captivating!

7. Lori says:

The beginning of the poem resonated with a feeling of a new dawn the blues and golds. But there is a pitch here to me of reaching for sound and not quite capturing it. Instead “the soul being possessed centers upon / what shines the most” It is the light that is found most attractive.