Bathed In The Evening Light, A Poet Walks Slowly

I have witnessed stranger things in life
but none quite as strange as this,
the city is a kaleidoscope of emotions
and sounds
with jasmine flowers swaying in the wind
here the sun is sweltering hot and yet
the heart is somehow content as above the sky grows faint.
In the spaces
between hectic everyday routine and leisurely hours
the city wins you over
with cinnamon bread, bowl of nuts and buttermilk,
here the atmosphere is sweet-toned
when a stranger lends a helping hand regardless of caste and colour
of time and place,
I have spent many an evening marveling upon idiosyncrasy of this kind–
the city is peopled with hope not melancholia,
with viewpoints
both new and old embossed upon the asphalt concrete,
tell me
would you like me to give you a tour of my home country?

Photo credits: AQ Arif Oil Painting, Karachi

For Anmol’s prompt “On Wandering & Observing.” 🙂

Posted for Poetics @ dVerse Poets Pub

And on Tuesday Platform @ Real Toads

40 thoughts on “Bathed In The Evening Light, A Poet Walks Slowly

Yours is a gentle city, Sanaa, and I like the way it ‘wins you over / with cinnamon bread, bowl of nuts and buttermilk. I especially love the idea of a city ‘peopled with hope not melancholia’. I would love a tour of you home country!

There is something about street food, it does exactly as you say ” win one over”
    Nice one Sanaa

Much🚶‍♂️🚶‍♀️💙love

3. HA says:

I’d love to go on a walk with you, Sanaa! The sights you present, with the old and the new mingling in a comfortable, albeit idiosyncratic whole, make me so want to experience it in this light. This is how it feels while walking through the bylanes of Old Delhi too. The kaleidoscope of the city is radiant in your words. 🙂

Arz kiya hai…
    “kabhi kisi ko mukammal jahaan nahin milta
    kahin zamin kahin aasman nahin milta

tamam shahar mein aisa nahin khulus na ho
    jahan ummid ho is ki vahaan nahin milta”

Waaah Waah ❤️ To that I would have to say;

“Dil giraftaa hi sahi bazam sajali jaye,
      yaad-e-jaanan se koi shaam na khaali jaye

rafta rafta yehi zandaan main badal jate hain,
      ab kisi shehar ki buniyaad na daali jaye.”

Thank you so much, Anmol 😀 so glad you enjoyed it ❤️

(and thank you for the lovely prompt) 🌹

4. Glenn Buttkus says:

Your blog kicked me off as I tried to post….so let’s see. Your mellow moon colored all you perceived and shared. Big cities, for me, are shape shifters according to my moods.

(Sorry to hear that perhaps it was a server connection problem) Thank you so much, Glenn 😀 so glad you liked it ❤️

5. Imelda says:

I like the sights and scents of this city. Most of all, I like the kindness that emanates from it. ☺️

Big cities is so much about all the people you meet… and to really see and sense a city the best way is to see it with a local guide…
    and many times the local guide will see his own city in different light in company of a stranger.

Awww!! Sanaa. this is pretty. My favorite line will be, “hand regardless of caste and colour .” I like to think that our part of Houston (Texas) is like that. Even though traffic is fast it seems most drivers have time to slow and let a person merge in. Lots of men open doors for the ladies too, I do. Regardless of who …

Yayyyyy!❤️ Ofcourse I will! Lets go! Thank you so much, Susie 😀 so glad you liked it!❤️