Autumn whose gentle breath lures the living and dead

Crimson is the aura of death that sought
to coerce
lost souls into a screaming silence.

I cannot forget the feel of sunshine
nor attempt to forgo warbler song at gloaming
like desolate, despairing leaves in winter
I wonder
how one could withdraw from love, desire and hate?

I fear this to be neither coincidence nor dream
my soul bereft
from echoes of want and longing,
could it be that lies fed on ones who were broken?

I am autumn, I am wind
buoyant and hopeful than anything you can ever imagine
there isn’t a fairytale
that I can’t pry from the clutches of cynicism and doubt
once every blossoming decade
I whisper into the ears of hesitant young
‘You can’t change your fate,
neither can you hope to rewind what’s lost
but try and keep an open heart
and you’ll be surprised just where you end up.’

Photo credits: Pinterest

Posted for “Wordy Thursday” @ Real Toads

also on the ‘Poetry Pantry’ @ Poets United

also on ‘Monday Writes’ @ My Blog-Verses

verses

54 thoughts on “Autumn whose gentle breath lures the living and dead

1. Sherry Blue Sky says:

WOW! I LOVE this, especially the last stanza:
    “I am autumn, I am wind
    buoyant and hopeful than anything you can ever imagine
    there isn’t a fairytale
    that I can’t pry from the clutches of cynicism and doubt
    once every blossoming decade ”

I just love that! And your closing lines are powerful and true. My new favourite of yours, Sanaa.

2. HA says:

Oh! That image brings to mind instantly the thought of Ophelia and her pain is the pain in your words — the melancholy of this fairy-tale lies in the fact that it is buoyed by a certain hope — keeping an open heart may after all make it better or at least more bearable.
    I found this question especially evocative: “I wonder/how one could withdraw from love, desire, and hate?”
    Beautiful writing, Sanaa! <3

Fabulous, Sanaa. There is so much vivid imagery in your poem. I love the use of the oxymoron ‘screaming silence’, especially in a opening stanza that starts with crimson.as the aura of death. The darkness seeps through the lines, from ‘I cannot forget the feel of sunshine’ to ‘I am autumn, Ia m wind’. I love the lines:
    ‘there isn’t a fairytale
    that I can’t pry from the clutches of cynicism and doubt’
    which is so despairing, you can hear the tears.

4. Ali says:

This is gorgeous.

I love this:
    “there isn’t a fairytale
    that I can’t pry from the clutches” … It has me imagining having the ability to pull a fairy tale out of one’s tiny purse. 🙂

The first four lines of the poem are my favorites.

There are so many openings imaged in your poem Sanaa. However this is my favourite
    “there isn’t a fairytale
    that I can’t pry from the clutches of cynicism and doubt”

Happy you dropped by my sumie Sunday today

Much💚🖤love

“lost souls into a screaming silence.”
    A very halooween image, the mask, the altered reality the questions of life dead and undead all tied into this bundle

Thanks for linking to Monday WRites 177