Aubade – Since Flower, Nor Stone, Nor Depths of the Raging Sea

The days descend inhaling orange-grey stretches of sundown
and anxious heartbeats
as though their life depend on it,
I silently watch the city with its buildings, it’s windswept blooms
and trees,
I can’t deny that you have been on my mind,
I think about you often
as clouds leisurely drift across and permeate every aspect of moon
I think about you all the time.

Between you and me there exists a language of love,
and an ache that comes and goes
you are the one who ignites the fire within,
you are the one who understands the struggles I go through.
How do you do it?
How do you see deep into my soul and unravel the emotions
even I myself am not aware of?
How you understand me
when words unspoken have yet to make their way into my heart
and mind?
How do you handle me when I am down
and at my worst?
How do you see me? How can you love me knowing my vices
in a time where falsehood grows and rises.

Come May,
amongst the changing months yours is the cruelest one
as lilacs determined outrun the threats of storm,
instinctively I release hope into the open and observe as it floats
slip a promise or two into the insides of my coat,
distance alone can not break apart nor douse emotions that run
thicker than blood.

Photo credits: Fabian Perez Painting

Posted on Weekend Mini-Challenge @ Real Toads

& Posted on the poetry pantry @ Poets United

48 thoughts on “Aubade – Since Flower, Nor Stone, Nor Depths of the Raging Sea

I wonder sometimes if May can bring something like that… but being apart is when a person seems clearest.

This reads like a heartbreaking letter. The longing and the depth of the speaker’s need are so haunting… I would love to read the face of the subject as the words hit his or her heart.

I enjoyed the way the opening lines drop, the way your stomach lurches or you fall in a dream, and the reader joins the speaker of the poem to watch the city at night and experience the speakerโ€™s emotions, made very real in the โ€˜ache that comes and goesโ€™ and the hope released in the final lines โ€“ the hop that comes with May.

4. Mary says:

This is painful to read. The narrator seems quite tortured by what has happened to what had been a positive relationship. Seems that, difficult as it might be, it might be time to move on.

There is definitely a connection of love for “How do you see deep into my soul and unravel the emotions” asks the one longing to be with the lover . AND again i luv the hope in ” I release hope into the open and observe as it floats”

Wow what a treat!!! Dear poetess

Happy you dropped by my sumie Sunday

Muchโš˜love

Awww gosh! โค๏ธ Thank you so much, Gillena ๐Ÿ˜€ so glad you enjoyed it! โค๏ธ

Much๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒท๐ŸŒปlove

Thank you so much, Marian ๐Ÿ˜€ so glad you enjoyed it โค๏ธ

(and thank you for the lovely prompt) ๐ŸŒน

To have someone who is always on your side even when you aren’t is a gift. Distance might be hard, but it can’t break such a bond.

Very nice, deep, Sanaa. I especially like the line, “Between you and me there exists a language of love“. We have twin sons and for the longest, until at least school age, they too had a language of their own. They still are very close, close enough to keep their spouses on guard.

8. Truedessa says:

It is said distance makes the heart fonder but, I think it just makes the heart ache more. There seems to be an unspoken language when it comes to love.

9. Wendy Bourke says:

Wonderful writing in this poem of love and longing.

‘Come May,’ is especially compelling – as it is creates a transition in the piece and – possibility – a transition in the relationship.

10. Margaret says:

the middle stanza speaks in the present “you know me”… “how do you…” And the first and last hint at distance but I don’t feel like their not together… Makes me think of military families or lovers… Forced time away…

11. Sara McNulty says:

There truly are some people whose imprint remains strong. I can think of some that pertain to me.
    Love the “promises slipped inside a coat.” “Come May” was an important pivotal point to me.
    Wonderful poem, Sanaa.