At The Brink Of Night

The hour of grey mists and steady rain
sends my thoughts soaring. I am part
pain and part longing, reflecting upon
the shades of night.

The wind whispers a thousand verses,
ushering cries of newborns and hopes
of estranged lovers.

The mystery overwhelms me as I find
the words and let them sing. I sought
to assuage the pain, embrace the soul-
searching droplets: so that everything
even that which was remotely related,
would heal with the passage of time.

Like an ancient fear turned to dust and
left to fade.

Photo credits: Instagram

Brendan invites us to play tennis with a ghost. I chose to play with Rainer Maria
Rilke and his poem ‘At The Brink Of Night.

Posted for “Sunday Challenge” @ Real Toads

Posted on the Poetry Pantry @ Poets United

56 thoughts on “At The Brink Of Night

1. Brendan says:

Such powerful longing here, and the rapture of discovery, if only for the length, the depth, of a song … What more can we ask for? Wasn’t “At The Brink of Night” written by Rilke when he lived in Paris? He didn’t like it much, too much bustle; in his building there was someone who practiced cello all night. He strains to find and hold what his inwardness is shouting. Great response to the prompt, Sanaa, and I had to take a shot at Rilke — the dude is such a ghost!

2. Sarah says:

I like this very much. Too many beautiful lines to pull out, but the sense of yearning comes through very strongly, and it’s a very powerful ending.

Another of my favourite poets, Sanaa, and you have responded so beautifully! I love how you have evoked the atmosphere in the opening lines and created a soundtrack with:
    ‘The wind whispers a thousand verses,
    ushering cries of newborns and hopes
    of estranged lovers’.

Dark nights and steady rain can have a depressing effect upon you, more so if you are nursing a hurt in your life. Introducing ancient fears then makes the whole night worse. Good to see you write of less pleasant times as well Sanaa.

Thank you so much, Nissa 😀 so glad you liked it ❤️

PS: It’s a response to a prompt at the garden.. you should check it out 🙂

5. Susan says:

My new favorite of yours, perfect in every way, though not very sunny. And that last image? Wow. It’s still got me in its grip!

6. Bekkie says:

Beautiful and haunting! Your poem feels like a ghostly presence.

You are the only person I know who doesn’t sign your poems. Just noticed is all. Hugs!

7. kaykuala says:

so that everything
    even that which was remotely related,
    would heal with the passage of time.

Nature has a way of mending itself and life moves on unrelenting!

Hank

8. Myrna says:

This is so lovely Sanaa. You create a mood, common to all of us, wishing to heal those hurts we all contain. I love your imagery and choice of words. This is a powerful poem.

9. Annell Livingston says:

I grew up on the third coast, and grey rainy days are my favs. (In a way, strange that I moved to the desert?) I suppose during these times, “thoughts,” seek shelter in our minds. Warm and dry…and sometimes empty. If we were not “part pain and part longing,” what would we be? I have found both exquisite as is your poem. I love going to that grey and rainy place with you.