As shades of evening lay scattered on the ground

What you love you must love now
lest autumn with speckles of orange, red and brown is blown away
it becomes a song,
every decade or so time allows a pomegranate blush to suffuse the skin
it serves as a hymn for the greatest generation
its slightest touch has most readily at times unlocked my heart
and dauntless
I would have held on if I had known it was the last
I have spent many an evening staring at leaves falling from trees
green at first
and then shortly afterwards with a gentle caress of yellow
I wish to be close to you,
so that the moment they come to rest on the ground
I can toss them high with your hand in mine
perhaps they will make the most of it the second time round.
Remember me as a time of the day
take down photographs taken over passage of years and smile
as we age onward,
I wish to kiss you with breath perfumed with the vigor of rose
when the darkening sky is filled with remorseless clouds
I have learned that hope is just a tiny flicker against the wind
and that we are born different for a reason,
gift me the power of your intense fragility
the strength to overcome constant vacillation around decisions that bind
the eternal struggle
between heart and mind,
I am whispers of ache strewn across flower petals —
what you love you must love now.

Photo credits: Underwater Photography by Marta Bevacqua, pinterest

A combined response to Guest appearance from Kenia Santos and Sunday Mini-Challenge ~ Love after Love by Kim Nelson.

Posted for Play It Again (Old Toads) @ Real Toads

and posted for the Poetry Pantry @ Poets United

56 thoughts on “As shades of evening lay scattered on the ground

I have learned that hope is just a tiny flicker against the wind
    and that we are born different for a reason..

i so love this poem, Sanaa. How you have pieced together different bits of inspiration, and retained your own poetic voice with its shades of light and dark. beautiful.

2. Mary says:

Oh yes, we must love in the ‘now.’ It is the only time we have. We cannot live in past love nor in future love. We must enjoy love as it is ‘now.’

3. Toni Spencer says:

An epic use of the song titles, incorporated so smoothly they would not be noticed. Hope is all we have in these dim times. We must live and love in the now and have the courage to face it. Well done!

Time moves swiftly even for love. I
    I loved Mother’s time keepers, the leaves and the tulips vibrated for me. The little twist of age difference helped to keep interest as the poem closed, all the more reason to love NOW.

5. H. Hennenburg says:

“What you love you must love now” – I think this is the answer to absolutely everything. And “the power of your intense fragility” – this line is intensely insightful and exquisite. Well penned poem!

6. Jamztoma says:

this line:

I wish to kiss you with breath perfumed with the vigor of rose

is soothing and sweet. roses are pretty and fragrant. i’d love to kiss someone with a breath perfumed of rose… lovely.

I admire the raw, heart wide open passion of this. And the sense of immediacy, of how important it is to love as hard as you can in the now because there are no guarantees on later.