Among the aspen trees

Oh, that words could drift along a gentle breeze
lest these emotions I learn to forget, breathe
their terse life out again.

My heart, it beats on the sound of your voice
as though strolling through a familiar lane,
while around us swirl these drops of rain.

You’re part light, part shadow lingering
among the aspen trees, is it possible
what you state could be more than
just a dream–

My heart, it bleeds upon the slightest touch
as though failing to remember most basic want
while around us fade these drops of rain.

You’re part memory, part forgetfulness
as though clouds obscuring a wakeful sun,
is it possible what you state could be
more than just a dream–

Oh, that words could drift along a gentle breeze
lest these emotions I learn to forget, breathe
their terse life out again.

Photo credits:Β Pinterest

Shay invites us to write a poem from the point of view of a person,
who sees reality through a distorted lens. I wrote about Dementia.

Posted for “Fireblossom Fridays” @ Real Toads

and Posted on ‘Open Link Night’ @ dVerse Pub

60 thoughts on “Among the aspen trees

1. Fireblossom says:

Sanaa, I really like the way you brought the repeated section back again, all the more powerfully for the intervening lines. Thanks so much for being part of FBF with this excellent piece!

Beautiful and heart-breaking… I can only imagine the pain that would be caused by the loss of a love stolen by failing memory. And I agree with Fireblossom, the repetition does a wonderful job at reflecting the theme…

Memories can be so painful, but I think I would prefer the pain to be numbed by forgetfulness… I think I would cut myself to find some pain to soothe..

4. Glenn Buttkus says:

Dementia, senior moments–many of us struggle with their insidious roots, burrowing in the cortical darkness, like a coven of conspirators–I challenge myself with memorization drills, wring poetry, recalling trivia, working with my photography & my vast movie collection–poking & cajoling memory like a benevolent gadfly.

It’s a sensitive subject yes and was really challenging to write about. Thank you for your kind and thoughtful words, Glenn ❀️

5. Alwi Shatry says:

One feels the intensity and sentiments in every single line. So beautifully written. By the way, that photo is beautiful too!

You made me cry with this one, Sanaa – your poem reminded me of my mum. I love the lines:
    ‘You’re part light, part shadow lingering
    among the aspen trees…’
    and
    ‘You’re part memory, part forgetfulness
    as though clouds obscuring a wakeful sun’.

7. Gayle Walters Rose says:

Your gentle poem belies the intensity of dementia and other failings of the mind and how devastating the affects. I’m noticing the forgetfulness in my elderly mother and hope it doesn’t escalate to something more sinister. Beautifully done, Sanaa.

8. kaykuala h says:

Oh, that words could drift along a gentle breeze
    lest these emotions I learn to forget, breathe

When one takes the trouble to be a little cautious it gives room to be in control, just not to panic!

Hank

9. lynn says:

Your soothing words give dignity to a difficult journey for those suffering dementia and those who struggle beside them…beautifully and poetically portrayed, Sanaa! I’m also fond of aspen πŸ™‚